British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   What? I'm Shocked! In this one-industry town... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/what-im-shocked-one-industry-town-617216/)

Ethos83 Jun 28th 2009 8:22 am

What? I'm Shocked! In this one-industry town...

Emaar's annoucing a merger with Dubai Holdings and its assorted subsidiaries, and no one's yet posted a thread about it?

What does it mean? More layoffs, probably. Or is there anyone left to fire at these companies?

The Dean Jun 28th 2009 9:13 am

Re: What? I'm Shocked! In this one-industry town...

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 7706161)
Emaar's annoucing a merger with Dubai Holdings and its assorted subsidiaries, and no one's yet posted a thread about it?

What does it mean? More layoffs, probably. Or is there anyone left to fire at these companies?

That won't be a 'merger' in the normal sense of the word.

Dubai Holding is just a shell company, a sort of umbrella arrangement that brings together a variety of companies under government ownership. Each retains some degree of management autonomy.

Emaar will presumably just slot in, making 8 entities not 7. Mind you, a more formal merger with Dubai Properties would seem logical.

Blue Cat Jun 28th 2009 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 7706161)

they haven't announced it yet, discussions under way apparently.

rowell Jun 28th 2009 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7706276)
they haven't announced it yet, discussions under way apparently.

According to todays paper it will take upto 4 months, so maybe next year?

Foxes Jun 29th 2009 10:39 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7706259)

Emaar will presumably just slot in, making 8 entities not 7. Mind you, a more formal merger with Dubai Properties would seem logical.

am no expert but i cant see it being this easy - and if anything it will be the other way around (DH entities coming under the Emaar banner ) - Emaar is a listed company on the DFX whilst DH entities are state owned...

Desert Rat Jun 29th 2009 11:09 am

Where does that leave Nakheel

sg800 Jun 29th 2009 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Desert Rat (Post 7708797)
Where does that leave Nakheel

From what I have been told (by someone I know who works there) another massive round of redundancies is to be announced very shortly....

They are of course keeping all Emiratis there, so all lay offs will be Westerners :o

Ethos83 Jun 29th 2009 1:40 pm

There goes the company.....

Originally Posted by sg800 (Post 7709080)

They are of course keeping all Emiratis there, so all lay offs will be Westerners :o

ipods Jun 29th 2009 9:18 pm

Intersting one

As foxes says. Emaar private. DH state owned

Emaar still ok (ish) DH and all subsiduries vertually closed down so can actually see state off loading liabilities to private entity

Tooterelli Jun 30th 2009 1:49 am

Emaar bought Hamptons International in the UK just before the house price crash. Hamptons is struggling and downsizing.