Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What happens to everyone's job...

What happens to everyone's job...

Old Jun 5th 2014, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What happens to everyone's job...

It will be worse than Dubai, where many of these so-called bespoke project developments are deteriorating at a rate of knots. Malfunctioning fire protection systems, inadequate storm drainage, dodgy electrics and leaking water pipes all over the shop. We see it from the Insurers perspective.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
We see it from the Insurers perspective.
Is that the rectumnal view?
Old Jun 5th 2014, 1:58 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
We're a JV supplier and believe you me the cost per m3 is rock bottom here , we find it's the contractors who are looking for rock bottom price and the lowest gets the pot .
Sorry wasn't really a chop at the concrete industry but tell me where do you buy your cement or additives from? Do you have to buy them locally, or at least through a local agent?

Would they be cheaper coming from outside Qatar?
Old Jun 5th 2014, 4:50 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

We're a JV supplier and believe you me the cost per m3 is rock bottom here , we find it's the contractors who are looking for rock bottom price and the lowest gets the pot .

We've walked away from big supply jobs of 1million m3 because we would have lost money . Concrete is not a complicated business model , everyone knows the costs and margins so if someones 30-40 Riyals lower than you they're cheating , no other way and they do cheat , short measures , sub standard materials , bribes the lot . It all happens here in abundance , it's the worst place i've operated in.

If you're trying to sell a premium product here it's difficult . A lot of procurement and commercial guys don't know shit from custard and just want the lowest price .

In the end everyone loses , especially the client but the Qatari's think they're getting a good deal but they just end up with a sub standard end product but then again they don't give a fu**
So a $900M highway project isn't going to be a doddle, then? (5 interchanges and numerous bridges)
Old Jun 5th 2014, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

JamesandTamsin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hong_konger
It will be just like any other world cup. The English will go home early !!!
Haha excellent
Old Jun 6th 2014, 8:04 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

We might all be redeployed to staff up Sidra. I've always fancied turning my hand to cardiovascular surgery
Old Jun 6th 2014, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

I know mate , im tired of it as well to be honest . I think there's a lifespan to Qatar and mines maybe coming to an end .
would Nigeria be of interest ?
Old Jun 7th 2014, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandboy
would Nigeria be of interest ?
It could be mate , i know you guys are recruiting there but i'm not sure if it's the right place to have the missus in tow .
Old Jun 7th 2014, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Sorry wasn't really a chop at the concrete industry but tell me where do you buy your cement or additives from? Do you have to buy them locally, or at least through a local agent?

Would they be cheaper coming from outside Qatar?
OPC cement we buy here though 3 suppliers and the price is fixed by the government , we import GGBS and PFA from overseas . Quality and supply chain is important , there's other options which can offer you a great price but will immediately fall down on the other two constraints.

Admixtures are a closed shop . the big suppliers have the market sewn up , there's cheaper alternatives but they're crap to be honest. Using cheap admixture is false economy as it just drives up your cement content and messes with your whole quality and concrete continuity so in tuen you get strength issues and aggro from the engineer , a lot of local outfits here just throw the brown envelope over the table and there's a few who just except it .
All the big suppliers have operations on the ground in most GCC countries with a good network of sales and technical guys.

Last edited by co durham boy; Jun 7th 2014 at 5:18 am.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

mrkjd is an unknown quantity at this point

We've walked away from big supply jobs of 1million m3 because we would have lost money . Concrete is not a complicated business model , everyone knows the costs and margins so if someones 30-40 Riyals lower than you they're cheating , no other way and they do cheat , short measures , sub standard materials , bribes the lot . It all happens here in abundance , it's the worst place i've operated in.

If you're trying to sell a premium product here it's difficult . A lot of procurement and commercial guys don't know shit from custard and just want the lowest price .

In the end everyone loses , especially the client but the Qatari's think they're getting a good deal but they just end up with a sub standard end product but then again they don't give a fu**
Bullseye - and that is why a contract which screws the contractor isn't big nor clever - everybody loses! I'm currently in India for a client and "*****ing the contractor" is a national sport! The trouble is that the word of the bean counter is the new religion - and yay be smited those who cost tuppence more than the dodgy fu**er!
Old Jun 9th 2014, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Backinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant future

It could be mate , i know you guys are recruiting there but i'm not sure if it's the right place to have the missus in tow .
Nigeria's not too bad CDB, I spent 7 years there with the family, some people got robbed, some didn't. I hear from friends still there that things have improved lots in the last 3 years. Could be worth a punt to get you out of Qatar, always possible to come back to the ME again.