Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What happened to the UAE ? it's been ruined ! not the country I left in the 1990s !

What happened to the UAE ? it's been ruined ! not the country I left in the 1990s !

Old May 11th 2018, 6:52 pm
Banned

Danishwomen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What happened to the UAE ? it's been ruined ! not the country I left in the 1990s !

As a Danish women who came to Dubai in the summer of 1992 at the age of 23, I landed few months after finishing my education as a nurse bachelor degree , I was not even there to get a job I just stopped there on my way towards Asia back then few people knew about Dubai. Few days after I stayed I though it will be an fun idea to search for jobs. I got a job at an hospital immediately. I got a free villa paid housing,a land cruiser to drive, I got free school for my kids at the international schools , free health care at a private hospital, tickets paid to return home every summer. My private use of water and electricity was included in my expat package. And every year there was a salary bonus. Few years ago I moved to Dubai again to look for my old job and old lifestyle. I was shocked, It's impossible for a westerner to find a normal nurse job unless you are extremely specialized. The Expat packages are not what they used to be and you will have to fight to make the ends meet. The Salaries used to be very high in the 90s. There are prostitutes from China and Ethiopia openly walking around on the streets what happened to the family friendly city ? disgusting ! there are Eastern Europeans everywhere on every workplace driving the salaries down for white people. Back in the days you only had the Brits and few Germans, Scandinavians. The rent prizes are reaching the skies ! and tourists from the West are acting embarrassing on every street thanks to budget airplanes the trash has arrived here, there is not any longer the small sophisticated white expat community from western Europe. I had left the UAE disappointed with what it has turned into.
Old May 11th 2018, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

IntMon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What happened to the UAE ? it's been ruined ! not the country I left in the 1990s

I know! It's shocking to see so many brown and black faces in the UAE. These and the riff raff from Europe should be banned from the country. That's precisely why I voted for Brexit.
Old May 12th 2018, 8:06 am
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What happened to the UAE ? it's been ruined ! not the country I left in the 1990s

OR - you can go back to 1971 when British teachers (not me) first got government jobs in Dubai. They left after a few years because things like the A/C kept breaking down. It seems to have been fairly racy - someone I know gave birth to twins in 1976 while unmarried and no one seemed to mind!
Old May 12th 2018, 8:26 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

I am at a loss for words...honestly...congratulations...you have actually made it to my top 5 list
Old May 12th 2018, 9:35 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danishwomen
As a Danish women who came to Dubai in the summer of 1992 at the age of 23, I landed few months after finishing my education as a nurse bachelor degree , I was not even there to get a job I just stopped there on my way towards Asia back then few people knew about Dubai. Few days after I stayed I though it will be an fun idea to search for jobs. I got a job at an hospital immediately. I got a free villa paid housing,a land cruiser to drive, I got free school for my kids at the international schools , free health care at a private hospital, tickets paid to return home every summer. My private use of water and electricity was included in my expat package. And every year there was a salary bonus. Few years ago I moved to Dubai again to look for my old job and old lifestyle. I was shocked, It's impossible for a westerner to find a normal nurse job unless you are extremely specialized. The Expat packages are not what they used to be and you will have to fight to make the ends meet. The Salaries used to be very high in the 90s. There are prostitutes from China and Ethiopia openly walking around on the streets what happened to the family friendly city ? disgusting ! there are Eastern Europeans everywhere on every workplace driving the salaries down for white people. Back in the days you only had the Brits and few Germans, Scandinavians. The rent prizes are reaching the skies ! and tourists from the West are acting embarrassing on every street thanks to budget airplanes the trash has arrived here, there is not any longer the small sophisticated white expat community from western Europe. I had left the UAE disappointed with what it has turned into.
Funnily enough the world has moved on a bit since the 1990s, and not only in Dubai, but EVERY country has progressed (?) since then and thank the lord for that. I bet your own country has changed a bit since then

I suspect a possible early entry for 'post of the year'
Old May 12th 2018, 11:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

. there are Eastern Europeans everywhere on every workplace driving the salaries down for white people.
So what colour are these eastern Europeans?
Old May 12th 2018, 12:20 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Sludgy green maybe?
Old May 12th 2018, 12:48 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

haha, yeah, I wondered that.
Old May 12th 2018, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Sludgy green maybe?
Of course, silly me!
Old May 12th 2018, 3:09 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danishwomen
Hint: for a troll post to have the 'shock, horror!' effect so obviously desired, it needs to be a lot more subtle than this pile of garbage. Better luck with your latest one on the Oz forum.
Old May 12th 2018, 4:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hint: for a troll post to have the 'shock, horror!' effect so obviously desired, it needs to be a lot more subtle than this pile of garbage. Better luck with your latest one on the Oz forum.
Its time someone made the forum laugh again, lets be honest!
Old May 12th 2018, 4:48 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its time someone made the forum laugh again, lets be honest!
Can't say they make me laugh Poll, I think they're a stubby short of a six pack
Old May 12th 2018, 5:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
IB plant.

Recent comment by somebody that the Aussie forum has gone very quiet & guess what happens.... coincidence, I think not.
Old May 12th 2018, 6:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

IB plant.

Recent comment by somebody that the Aussie forum has gone very quiet & guess what happens.... coincidence, I think not.
Well if thats the best IB can do after its been quiet as the grave in there for the last couple of years....they are more useless than I thought!
Old May 13th 2018, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

What is IB?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.