Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

what the F do you do if you get sacked and have cars and credit cards

what the F do you do if you get sacked and have cars and credit cards

Old Dec 17th 2008, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what the F do you do if you get sacked and have cars and credit cards

Originally Posted by commander
Does he have any direct experience with drilling systems and offshore power generation and dist plants?

From a commissioning prospective?

I got his email address, ill drop him a line
his background is in electrical distribution systems. drop him an email - alan is asking where you working? I cant remember?!
Old Dec 18th 2008, 5:10 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what the F do you do if you get sacked and have cars and credit cards

Commander what about the mob you used to be with?
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs Haps

Hope you're doing ok today and getting to grips with a plan?
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I think the plan has been well established by previous posters

Plan A: Get another job pronto

Plan B: Get the fak out of the UAE as quick as possible

Plan C: Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not pass go. Do not collect £200.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 8:55 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by admon

not funny really
Old Dec 18th 2008, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Admon, you crossed the line.
You... you you LINE CROSSER!
Old Dec 18th 2008, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by admon

Someone needs to give you a damn good admonishing.

Last edited by al dente; Dec 18th 2008 at 9:07 am. Reason: sloppy typing skills
Old Dec 18th 2008, 9:12 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al dente
Someone needs to give you a damn good admonishing.
he just needs some attention...and he's getting it
Old Dec 18th 2008, 9:14 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
he just needs some attention...and he's getting it
Aye, just leave him be...
Old Dec 18th 2008, 9:35 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Aye, just leave him be...
I agree
Old Dec 18th 2008, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

USExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to all
Default An off topic question...

Originally Posted by IndieG
Some general advice for all those in debt (personal loans, auto and credit card debts) and your job is shaky. I am not going to sugarcoat the potential risks simply because I would rather you be safe than sorry:

1.Firstly – Keep some (in fact a lot) of emergency cash and withdraw most of the salary - only keep a bare minimum in the account into which your husband’s salary is transferred. I cannot stress enough on this.

2.The scale of retrenchments and the resulting problem of potentially massive bad debts is unprecedented. Banks are not used to this and will be prone to some really rash/knee-jerk reactions. I do not expect most banks to listen and be reasonable – unfortunately, they will be merciless when they see little hope of recovering debt. And debtors have little protection here, unlike the US/UK… it is a jail term. Therefore, I believe that some of the advice given above (which I cannot repeat for obvious reasons) is unorthodox but very practical in the circumstances. You can return to your home country and then negotiate a debt reschedulement. There is no chance of that happening here, as once a case is filed then you are stuck in Dubai and it is a vicious cycle thereafter.

I will pm you some specific advice later this evening

EDIT: And start SAVING LIKE CRAZY...
Good morning IndieG,

I've been told as a US national I wouldn't be very welcome on this board, but I have been visiting this website a very long time now. So risking the chance of being kicked off strait away I thought I'd ask a few questions. I'll understand it if you won't reply, and apologize for breaking any, to me unknown rules on this website in advance. At the moment I live and work in Europe, and a few months ago I started up the paperwork in the USA to meet the requirements of a UAE residency visa which is basically finished now. What caught my interest is your remark "minimum balance on a bank account". The terms of my employment contract stipulates that housing expenses, car, insurance and multiple airline tickets are provided for by my employer. So there would not be a need from my side for personal loans or credit cards. As for credit cards I prefer to keep my European ones actually. So my questions are :

(1) What is this minimum balance you are referring to? In my case +/- 30.000 AED would be paid out in the UAE, the rest directly into a European account.

(2) If this minimum amount applies to me as well, is there any legal way of avoiding this? It actually scares the hell out of me being forced to leave money on a UAE account. I would prefer telex transferring the plus balance to Europe every end of the month. All I would require from my UAE bank is an ATM card and internet banking facilities.

(3) Do UAE banks give the full package strait away? I mean ATM card and internet banking facilities once you open an account? Or is there a waiting time for this?

(4) Can I make transfers in Euro's?

Once again, any help or info is appreciated. With all the doom scenario thinking going on I'm seriously starting to get second thoughts about moving over to the UAE. I'm into wholesales / logistics myself, not construction or construction related work and would be based in Dubai.

Thanks in advance,

USExpat
Old Dec 18th 2008, 9:47 am
Concierge

welcome to BE, you don't have to be British to use this board
Old Dec 18th 2008, 9:51 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
that's true...but he's American...
Old Dec 18th 2008, 9:52 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat

No, but you really ought to understand the humour, not be overly PC or be offended by jokes at the expense of Americans.

-
Old Dec 18th 2008, 9:53 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Meow
No, but you really ought to understand the humour, not be overly PC or be offended by jokes at the expense of Americans.

-
that could get tricky ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.