Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What don't you miss about the UK

What don't you miss about the UK

Old Jun 11th 2010, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What don't you miss about the UK

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
That's coz there are none of them here to hate.
Really?
Semi-literate racist football hooligans given jobs and paid double what their Indian coworkers get?
People who are worth nothing in the UK suddenly having doors held open for them, NOT shopping at Iceland, being able to afford a real car, NOT living a draughty council flat......

Sounds like a success to me.

(PS and that's just me. There are hundreds of others like that)
Old Jun 11th 2010, 3:02 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas
Really?
Semi-literate racist football hooligans given jobs and paid double what their Indian coworkers get?
People who are worth nothing in the UK suddenly having doors held open for them, NOT shopping at Iceland, being able to afford a real car, NOT living a draughty council flat......

Sounds like a success to me.

(PS and that's just me. There are hundreds of others like that)
Yeah, everything's relative.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis
vidi in ampulla pendere, et cum illi pueri dicerent:
Sibylla ti theleis; respondebat illa: apothanein thelo.

( For I myself once saw with my own eyes the Sibyl hanging in a cage, and when the boys asked her, 'Sybil, what do you want?' she answered 'I want to die.')....

Such it is with the UK, these days. And yet she contains more soul than the UAE night hope to muster.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

zoukla will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by The Dean
1 - Last Of The Summer Wine
2 - Last Of The Summer Wine
3 - Last Of The Summer Wine
Bless !

I don't miss......
Cold, wet grey days
Council Tax Bills
40% income tax without question (but then you have a 3K ISA tax free stipend Yippee!)
Plastic smiles and hypocritical schemes at the office
The tea making round
Chavs
Seeing the evidence of poor dental hygiene and the lack of obtaining an appointment with an NHS dentist.
Dinner ladies on the bus in their tabards
Being run over by pushchair chavs
Seeing pink .....chavs wearing pink from head to toe. (visions of Pepto Bismol)
RACIST folk....especially the closet types.
I must restrain myself.............

I miss terribly ....
STILL GAME from my Edinburgh days...funny the subtitles in England
M&S vicky sponge and a caramel latte or cinnamon mocha in the M&S coffee shop.

Havent found a M&S coffee shop here . Do send a message if you know where one is.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 8:17 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis
vidi in ampulla pendere, et cum illi pueri dicerent:
Sibylla ti theleis; respondebat illa: apothanein thelo.

( For I myself once saw with my own eyes the Sibyl hanging in a cage, and when the boys asked her, 'Sybil, what do you want?' she answered 'I want to die.')....

Such it is with the UK, these days. And yet she contains more soul than the UAE night hope to muster.
Would kind of agree but unfortunately the UK is more like "The Wire" than "Dixon of Dock Green" - or even "The Sweeney". On our last trip back to UK in 2008 we couldn't find anybody we knew who was happy to be living there (ages ranged from late 20s to mid 60s) and, from emails and phone conversations since, nothing has changed. This includes family, too. In fact since that visit youngest sister and DH have emigrated to Cape Town so parents now have two (out of three) daughters who have left the UK.

Dubai isn't ideal - we don't look at it through rose-tinted spectacles (even if they are bi-focals) ... there's still a great deal that has to be fixed - but we're still happier here than we would be if we were back in the UK.

We regard ourselves as being very fortunate in that we have no children (just didn't happen but didn't beat ourselves up about it), bought off-plan way back in 2003 so we're still in a reasonably good position property-wise (please don't think we're trying to be smug here, we really aren't), and although we still enjoy Dubai we're hoping that we'll be in Muscat this time next year. Yet another off-plan property which we recently visited and which, it seems, will be delivered on time in September this year.

So, short answer (after all the waffle above) - there's nothing apart from family and friends that we miss about the UK. But perhaps having no children has something to do with that.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hnd
Would kind of agree but unfortunately the UK is more like "The Wire" than "Dixon of Dock Green" - or even "The Sweeney". On our last trip back to UK in 2008 we couldn't find anybody we knew who was happy to be living there (ages ranged from late 20s to mid 60s) and, from emails and phone conversations since, nothing has changed. This includes family, too. In fact since that visit youngest sister and DH have emigrated to Cape Town so parents now have two (out of three) daughters who have left the UK.

Dubai isn't ideal - we don't look at it through rose-tinted spectacles (even if they are bi-focals) ... there's still a great deal that has to be fixed - but we're still happier here than we would be if we were back in the UK.

We regard ourselves as being very fortunate in that we have no children (just didn't happen but didn't beat ourselves up about it), bought off-plan way back in 2003 so we're still in a reasonably good position property-wise (please don't think we're trying to be smug here, we really aren't), and although we still enjoy Dubai we're hoping that we'll be in Muscat this time next year. Yet another off-plan property which we recently visited and which, it seems, will be delivered on time in September this year.

So, short answer (after all the waffle above) - there's nothing apart from family and friends that we miss about the UK. But perhaps having no children has something to do with that.
To be honest, I will be moving back to the uk one day (and only back to Glasgow). I dont know if its tomorrow or 4 years but I definitely will be moving back to settle down and have kids etc. Expat Brats is something I dont want!!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoukla
Bless !

Seeing pink .....chavs wearing pink from head to toe. (visions of Pepto Bismol)
Don't all the high maintenance girls here wear pink (and gold)?
Old Jun 13th 2010, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

johnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nice

Originally Posted by kittycat1
calm down Bahtatboy! cold shower! The gasmask has been left in the UK I'm afraid!
It's not a Gas Mask its a respirator!!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 5:18 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnbuoy
It's not a Gas Mask its a respirator!!
Don't spoil it for me...
Old Jun 13th 2010, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

johnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Don't spoil it for me...
The amount of Press Up's I had to endure due to calling it a Gas Mask whilst training for the forces hasnt helped me!!! The Gas Chamber was a Respirator Testing Facility!!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StublueKPL
To be honest, I will be moving back to the uk one day (and only back to Glasgow). I dont know if its tomorrow or 4 years but I definitely will be moving back to settle down and have kids etc. Expat Brats is something I dont want!!
not all kids that are raised here are ex pat brats, its how you raise them!

My lad has been here since he was 7 and is def not an expat brat but does recognize that a lot of his friends are.... you just have to keep yourself and your kids grounded
Old Jun 13th 2010, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
not all kids that are raised here are ex pat brats, its how you raise them!

My lad has been here since he was 7 and is def not an expat brat but does recognize that a lot of his friends are.... you just have to keep yourself and your kids grounded
I find the children out here have far better value's, manners than any I have seen in the UK my own included
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:20 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StublueKPL
As a Glasgow NED is a lovely creature?

Nothing is that black & white, but if you think your parentling skills wouldn't be up to raising a decent child here, then maybe you should return?

-
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:30 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I don't miss

Standing on a freezing station platform at 7.00am on a January morning to be told that my train is cancelled, despite spending a small fortune on tickets
Chavs (there are less here & easier to avoid)
Being charged over £1 for a small bottle of water
Chewing gum on pavements
Congestion charge & astronomical parking fees
Snow, ice, sleet, grey January/February skies & being cold generally
High tax & NI - largely spent by buffoons who really haven't a clue or don't care
Tabloid press

-
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't Miss;
Income Tax
Shitty Rainy Scottish Weather

Miss;
Sky TV
Shitty Cold Scottish Weather
Tenents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.