British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   What do you want for Christmas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/what-do-you-want-christmas-265383/)

Heart of gold Nov 9th 2004 7:11 am

What do you want for Christmas

As this is my first Christmas here ... Im not sure what I want! What was your First Christmas like here as far as shopping for pressies goes ! :)

joseph.creative Nov 9th 2004 7:27 am

Re: What do you want for Christmas

Originally Posted by Heart of gold
As this is my first Christmas here ... Im not sure what I want! What was your First Christmas like here as far as shopping for pressies goes ! :)

tell u after Xmas.....

Jellybean Nov 9th 2004 7:33 am

Not sure what you like Heart but as far as I am concerned diamonds are a girls best friend. Or a nice bottle of bubbly, Or a Royal Selangor wine glass...I have a collection, not sure if they have them in Dubai though. Or another trip to the Burj Spa!!!

As far as shopping for hubby that's easy the Stoke City website!!! :p

kristy Nov 9th 2004 7:33 am

I was getting all excited in Debenhams the other day because they were putting out all the Christmas stuff, decorations etc!! What kind of pressies you looking for? The only place I spotted last year with gift type things was Debenhams, but I didn't really have a good look round.

LakesLassie Nov 9th 2004 7:36 am

Compared with back home it was absolute bliss - benefit of being in a Muslim country I guess. Don't panic though - all the malls get decorations up & all the shops do Christmassy stuff, it's just that there aren't the seething masses of people there are back home (still get nightmares about M & S on Christmas Eve :scared: ).

We went out for lunch last year, which was unusual for us but we had no family over, and it was a bit bizarre doing Christmas in the sunshine. We had a fab day though & would thoroughly recommend the Meridien at the airport if you have kids.

Like everything else here - it's what you make it. :D

Jellybean Nov 9th 2004 7:39 am

Originally Posted by LakesLassie
Compared with back home it was absolute bliss - benefit of being in a Muslim country I guess. Don't panic though - all the malls get decorations up & all the shops do Christmassy stuff, it's just that there aren't the seething masses of people there are back home (still get nightmares about M & S on Christmas Eve :scared: ).

We went out for lunch last year, which was unusual for us but we had no family over, and it was a bit bizarre doing Christmas in the sunshine. We had a fab day though & would thoroughly recommend the Meridien at the airport if you have kids.

Like everything else here - it's what you make it. :D

FYI

Nad Al Sheba are doing Xmas dinner, just been confirmed, with santa and other kiddies entertainment. We are paying Dhs980 for 4 adults and 2 children. I love that place the food is always spot on.

Heart of gold Nov 9th 2004 7:42 am

Originally Posted by kristy
I was getting all excited in Debenhams the other day because they were putting out all the Christmas stuff, decorations etc!! What kind of pressies you looking for? The only place I spotted last year with gift type things was Debenhams, but I didn't really have a good look round.

Hi Hun..... This is gonna sound somewhat sad but here goes! For my youngest buying at christmas is not really a problem yet, its for the eldest and the Ole man
Toys R us is crap, for her age group.

I would get stocking fillers from wooloworths, toys from the toys R us and even Argos and a great place in Yoevil. And do my food shop in asda.

For family ... Debenhams, and BHS but neither are along the same lines as the Uk branch really.

I m gonna fiind buying here so frustrating, when things are readily available back home .... BUt thats how I feel.

I do know that I would like a new hand blender as the one my grandnana gave me 12 years ago has now been broken cos my youngest thought it was a screw driver! And another tattoo!!

M

Palm Tree Nov 9th 2004 7:51 am

Hi Hun..... This is gonna sound somewhat sad but here goes! For my youngest buying at christmas is not really a problem yet, its for the eldest and the Ole man

I would get stocking fillers from wooloworths, toys from the toys R us and even Argos and a great place in Yoevil. And do my food shop in asda.

For family ... Debenhams, and BHS but neither are along the same lines as the Uk branch really.

I m gonna fiind buying here so frustrating, when things are readily available back home .... BUt thats how I feel.

I do know that I would like a new hand blender as the one my grandnana gave me 12 years ago has now been broken cos my youngest thought it was a screw driver! And another tattoo!!

M

Hi Heart

You know how I feel about Dubai. It offers me so much but shopping is something that does stir up my feelings too. But you know what, I have saved so much money here. I was never a shopaholic but liked the overview of shops and knowing how much things cost. There are way too many here and you can find just about anything like in the UK but it is the not knowing where and racing from one place to another. I used to love the comfort of opening the Argos/Index catalogue which offered a quick and easy choice. I therefore here have resigned to even attempt to venture into the shops. It's too much for me to handle. I still keep the latest Argos/Index catalogues here in Dubai which makes it more frustrating when comparing prices. I will just have to learn. I have already learnt to shop for food in small shops. I used to think that only Carrefour was an option as it was the closest resemblance to Tesco but have come to realize that places like Choithram's or Park'n'Shop save me a lot of time when shopping.

I wonder what the new GEANT will have to offer at the Gardens Shopping Mall. Keeps the excitement going. Something new popping up every day.

joseph.creative Nov 9th 2004 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Jellybean
FYI

Nad Al Sheba are doing Xmas dinner, just been confirmed, with santa and other kiddies entertainment. We are paying Dhs980 for 4 adults and 2 children. I love that place the food is always spot on.

Whereas I will be enjoying a traditional Xmas lunch in the South Glos countryside in the 200 year old 4 star hotel pub with a proper cold stella before lunch not served in nancy style wine glass....

hmmm far nicer than race horse with ur roast potatoes....

heh heh

I also heard that it is not just diamonds that are a girls best friend...

kristy Nov 9th 2004 8:05 am

Originally Posted by joseph.creative
Whereas I will be enjoying a traditional Xmas lunch in the South Glos countryside in the 200 year old 4 star hotel pub with a proper cold stella before lunch not served in nancy style wine glass....

heh heh

Dogs are a man's best friend, rabbits are a girl's best friend. :D

Jellybean Nov 9th 2004 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Palm Tree
Hi Heart

You know how I feel about Dubai. It offers me so much but shopping is something that does stir up my feelings too. But you know what, I have saved so much money here. I was never a shopaholic but liked the overview of shops and knowing how much things cost. There are way too many here and you can find just about anything like in the UK but it is the not knowing where and racing from one place to another. I used to love the comfort of opening the Argos/Index catalogue which offered a quick and easy choice. I therefore here have resigned to even attempt to venture into the shops. It's too much for me to handle. I still keep the latest Argos/Index catalogues here in Dubai which makes it more frustrating when comparing prices. I will just have to learn. I have already learnt to shop for food in small shops. I used to think that only Carrefour was an option as it was the closest resemblance to Tesco but have come to realize that places like Choithram's or Park'n'Shop save me a lot of time when shopping.

I wonder what the new GEANT will have to offer at the Gardens Shopping Mall. Keeps the excitement going. Something new popping up every day.

I agree I think Park 'n' Shop supplies more expat stuff than any of the others...that's where I got my black treacle, couldn't find it in Spinneys!!

I miss the Argos catalogue :( it always seemed to be that if nowhere else had it Argos did. Mind you saying that I have nightmares still standing in long lines at Xmas waiting for the next delivery of a certain Toy story figure.

kristy Nov 9th 2004 8:08 am

M

I can't remember exactly, but I think there's a couple of shops in Deira City Centre, near the cinema, with good stuff for girls. Trying to think, might be Pink Heaven or something like that, and a make up shop with all things pink and glittery.

Heart of gold Nov 9th 2004 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Palm Tree
Hi Heart

You know how I feel about Dubai. It offers me so much but shopping is something that does stir up my feelings too. and knowing how much things cost. There are way too many here and you can find just about anything like in the UK but it is the not knowing where and racing from one place to another. I used to love the comfort of opening the Argos/Index catalogue which offered a quick and easy choice. I therefore here have resigned to even attempt to venture into the shops.

Yes its what you make it. There is nothing here that even comes close to Christmas shopping for the kids ... I like darting from shop to shop and its the only time I go the whole width ... Bows and ribbon and go to town.

I too, keep my Argos and index books here, not so much to compare prices but if some close friends are going back then they are happy to get things for us.

I have noticed wrapping paper being put on the shelves but without matching tags ... duh! And heaps of choices of cards and even though I was here for the run up for it all last year, Lamcys is the only mall that I know of that does hats, and silly things.

Do they do the tubes of sweeties out here i.e jellytots, buttons, and the like.

Heart

Heart of gold Nov 9th 2004 8:49 am

Originally Posted by joseph.creative

I have family coming out this year and looking forward to all the Traditional Trimmings, with chilled wine but would love also the cold, wet and windy weather that goes with it all.

So for now Im gonna have to get used to it all but be sure I will grumble next year :D

Heart of gold Nov 9th 2004 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Jellybean
Not sure what you like Heart but as far as I am concerned diamonds are a girls best friend. Or a nice bottle of bubbly, Or a Royal Selangor wine glass...I have a collection, not sure if they have them in Dubai though. Or another trip to the Burj Spa!!!

As far as shopping for hubby that's easy the Stoke City website!!! :p

Im a down to earth kindda lass, I like my smellys, music, and as I love writing to ppl, complete writing sets never go amiss. Im not overly keen on Jewellery and such like ... Give me the above and a thick jumper and thats me sorted ... Oh I wont get a jumper this year, will I ?? :)