Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What do you guys do when ringing home?

What do you guys do when ringing home?

Old Apr 13th 2009, 9:48 am
FAX
Just Joined

FAX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do you guys do when ringing home?

Just want to get a sample of opinion from you guys as the the best/cheapest/most convenient option for calling home.

Right now my Wasel sim is costing me fortune for ringing home so I'm researching some cheaper options.

Is there any particular calling card that's cheap and simple to use rather than the hassle of going through the internet?

If not, I'm ok with using Skype (if they haven't been blocked) or something similar.

Look forward to reading your replies
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all
Default Re: What do you guys do when ringing home?

Originally Posted by FAX
Just want to get a sample of opinion from you guys as the the best/cheapest/most convenient option for calling home.

Right now my Wasel sim is costing me fortune for ringing home so I'm researching some cheaper options.

Is there any particular calling card that's cheap and simple to use rather than the hassle of going through the internet?

If not, I'm ok with using Skype (if they haven't been blocked) or something similar.

Look forward to reading your replies
If your home place is up to speed with MSN and skype then just do that. If not then get yourself a VPN and skype to their landline.
40 USD on a good VPN saved us about 500 Dhs a month on Etisalat.
CH
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:27 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I use MSN
Old Apr 13th 2009, 11:10 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

My home is in Garhoud so cost is not an issue.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Skype for us too.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Location: Currently in The Greens (arrived in Dubai on 22nd May 2009!).
FunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really nice

I was told you can only do Skype to Skype, and not Skype to landline, as that is blocked. Is that right?
Old Apr 14th 2009, 12:46 pm
Once a blue Always a blue

Tiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of light

I use something called as Free call and to access it there is something called ultrasurf. PM if you need it Its free
Old Apr 14th 2009, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FunnyFeline
I was told you can only do Skype to Skype, and not Skype to landline, as that is blocked. Is that right?
It's blocked but you turn on your vpn and you can phone a landline.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

FunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really nice

OK..I am going to sound so silly now, but what is VPN?
Old Apr 15th 2009, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by FunnyFeline
OK..I am going to sound so silly now, but what is VPN?
VPN is a piece of software that directs your internet traffic in such a way that a) the local censor can't see it and b) you can fool other service providers (BBC,Hulu etc) into thinking you are in a country where your VPN is based rather than the UAE. Do a search for them on this and other sites and you'll get the idea. Don't mention them by name as the same local censor will block the download sites and make everyone elses life harder.
CH
Old Apr 15th 2009, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cry haddock
VPN is a piece of software that directs your internet traffic in such a way that a) the local censor can't see it and b) you can fool other service providers (BBC,Hulu etc) into thinking you are in a country where your VPN is based rather than the UAE. Do a search for them on this and other sites and you'll get the idea. Don't mention them by name as the same local censor will block the download sites and make everyone elses life harder.
CH
That's great! Thanks for that...!
Old Apr 15th 2009, 2:25 pm
Once a blue Always a blue

Tiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cry haddock
CH
Sorry to dissapoint you.

VPN (Virtual Private Network) Its not a software neither a program its a communication protocol which masks your IP address and joins a private network on a higher secure level than the public IP. Basically when VPN is created it needs a server and a normal internet connection hence the terms as British VPN or american VPN came into place.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

I use the office phone... or failing that use the works mobile (cell)

That is all.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tiger989
Sorry to dissapoint you.

VPN (Virtual Private Network) Its not a software neither a program its a communication protocol which masks your IP address and joins a private network on a higher secure level than the public IP. Basically when VPN is created it needs a server and a normal internet connection hence the terms as British VPN or american VPN came into place.
I don't know my TCP from my IP, but if I download it and have to click Start, Programmes to run it, then I'm going to call it a programme. :-)
CH
Old Apr 16th 2009, 5:42 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

I press numbers on my phone in a pre-selected order, then say hello...that normally works...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.