Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What to do if you get arrested

What to do if you get arrested

Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What to do if you get arrested

Hi all,

Suddenly realized I wouldn't have a clue what to do if I was arrested/thrown in prison, I'm guessing you don't get one free call, does anyone know what you should do if this were to happen ( touch wood it never does!). Does your company come to help or are you left to rot? Is it worth getting to know someone at the British embassy?? If it leads to getting deported do you get time to go and pack?

Kittycat
x
Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

daddybearsurfer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What to do if you get arrested

Get yourself a second passport - at the embassy say that you are travelling to the forbidden country (the one you can't get a dialtone for ) and you can't get that countries stamp in your old one. Also keep your embassy on speed dial. Finally pray that you have friends in high places.

Enjoy!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:53 pm

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi all,

Suddenly realized I wouldn't have a clue what to do if I was arrested/thrown in prison, I'm guessing you don't get one free call, does anyone know what you should do if this were to happen ( touch wood it never does!). Does your company come to help or are you left to rot? Is it worth getting to know someone at the British embassy?? If it leads to getting deported do you get time to go and pack?

Kittycat
x
Our HR said when I arrived, if ever you are in any trouble then you ring me and no one else! So I guess you pick a good friend and tell them you are on your way to the police station.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 5:49 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

...and don't forget to post on here so we can all live the experience with you.

Photos of the showers incidents would be cool too...

So, what you going in for???
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:06 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
Wearing erotic face gear in the mall
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

I've done 10 days jail in Nigeria, 1 day each in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea. Believe me, it's who you know, not what you know that counts.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:28 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Kittycat
x
Originally Posted by Roadking
...and don't forget to post on here so we can all live the experience with you.

Photos of the showers incidents would be cool too...

...practising superstition, perhaps
Old Jun 14th 2010, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Kittycat
x
If you need help from your nearest British Embassy, you should visit this website:

www.morechanceofgettingablowjoboffthepope.com

Old Jun 14th 2010, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

well I was thinking about sex on the beach, but alas noone to have sex with so I'm safe for now!

But seriously a colleague has been thrown in prison and I realsied I wouldn't have a clue who I'd have to sleep with to get out....
Old Jun 14th 2010, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

well I was thinking about sex on the beach, but alas noone to have sex with so I'm safe for now!

But seriously a colleague has been thrown in prison and I realsied I wouldn't have a clue who I'd have to sleep with to get out....
what did they do?
Old Jun 14th 2010, 4:46 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on numerous things. Are they in prison or a detention centre? What have they been charged with? A local or international offence?

All the British Embassy do is check that someone is OK and arrange for visitors. Frankly they are useless at anything else. Depending on the offence they need a lawyer or a friend can visit the Office of Public Prosecutions as the chaps their are quite helpful. If your collegaue is released (after paying bail) then they'lll expect someone else's pasport as surety, as well as keeping his.

-
Old Jun 14th 2010, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's not really appropriate for me to say on here, not a british citizen though, looks as though she will get deported, feel soo sorry for the girl. reminds you how little rights you have here though!

Old Jun 14th 2010, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
I've done 10 days jail in Nigeria, 1 day each in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea. Believe me, it's who you know, not what you know that counts.
Yours truly received a 2 week prison sentence in a certain East African country several years ago for failing to bow to the magistrate when attending a court case (as a witness). Not the most pleasant experience. Sixty to a cell...
Old Jun 14th 2010, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Yours truly received a 2 week sentence in a certain East African country several years ago for failing to bow to the magistrate when attending a court case for which I was a witness. Not the most pleasant experience. Sixty to a cell...
Did you get raped?
Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Yours truly received a 2 week prison sentence in a certain East African country several years ago for failing to bow to the magistrate when attending a court case (as a witness). Not the most pleasant experience. Sixty to a cell...
Mine in Nigeria was due to some vague "irregularities" in my "comings and goings" dating back at least 3 years earlier. I was arrested on entry at Lagos, sent off to Abuja and spent my nights in the DC with all the visa touts, 419's and Niger detaninees. Fortunately all I spent my nights with were the mozzies. Being married to a Nigerian saved me a bunch of stress.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.