British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   What did you guy do with your things?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/what-did-you-guy-do-your-things-620973/)

WaqasKhawaja Jul 19th 2009 10:16 am

What did you guy do with your things??

Hello again,

Another simple but important question. Will be beneficial for those planning to move in the coming months.

Following all you guy who have moved, what did you do with your belonging? eg. Bed, sofa's, TV, fridge freezer, washing machine etc?

Obviously what you would do is either:
1. Sell them
2. Give them to the less fortunate family member (for some quids or free)
3. Store them.

We've recently kitted out our flat but now decided to move to UAE. so we have a fair bit of new stuff... still under warranty

Your advice on what you have done will be helpful

Becci_Neil Jul 19th 2009 12:23 pm

Re: What did you guy do with your things??

Originally Posted by WaqasKhawaja (Post 7765227)
Hello again,

Another simple but important question. Will be beneficial for those planning to move in the coming months.

Following all you guy who have moved, what did you do with your belonging? eg. Bed, sofa's, TV, fridge freezer, washing machine etc?

Obviously what you would do is either:
1. Sell them
2. Give them to the less fortunate family member (for some quids or free)
3. Store them.

We've recently kitted out our flat but now decided to move to UAE. so we have a fair bit of new stuff... still under warranty

Your advice on what you have done will be helpful

Hi
We sold everything - car boots, ebay, friends, person who's moving into our flat. Gave a few old bits away. never going to get back what you've paid but we've made bout 2 grand, not including selling our car.
Only storing one or two things - paintings, personal stuff. might try and ship them out but will see once we're there.
Are you selling your flat or renting it out?? maybe condsider selling/renting as fully furnished - thats what we've done - fab, takes out all of the stress of packing, storing or selling.

WaqasKhawaja Jul 19th 2009 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Becci_Neil (Post 7765423)
Hi
We sold everything - car boots, ebay, friends, person who's moving into our flat. Gave a few old bits away. never going to get back what you've paid but we've made bout 2 grand, not including selling our car.
Only storing one or two things - paintings, personal stuff. might try and ship them out but will see once we're there.
Are you selling your flat or renting it out?? maybe condsider selling/renting as fully furnished - thats what we've done - fab, takes out all of the stress of packing, storing or selling.

we're renting ourselves at the mo....so we have alot stuff that we need to shift.

e.g our sofa cost us £1000 but in this market doubt we'll get £500...plus its only about 5 months old:huh:

Becci_Neil Jul 19th 2009 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by WaqasKhawaja (Post 7765439)
we're renting ourselves at the mo....so we have alot stuff that we need to shift.

e.g our sofa cost us £1000 but in this market doubt we'll get £500...plus its only about 5 months old:huh:

I know - thats the only problem but unless you keep it or take it with you there's nothing you can do. we just accepted we wouldn't make what we paid and thought of it as money for our move! we thought about keeping big furniture and storing but then in a few years when we move home do we really still want to use 4 or 5 year old furniture.
maybe ask your land lord for an offer - even if its just stuff like pots and pans etc - in the end they'l get more rent offering a fully furnished place.

Roadking Jul 19th 2009 12:49 pm

If it's nice and you want to keep it, bring it with you. Electricals work on the same 3 pin plug and you'll need to buy once you get here anyway.

Becci_Neil Jul 19th 2009 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 7765492)
If it's nice and you want to keep it, bring it with you. Electricals work on the same 3 pin plug and you'll need to buy once you get here anyway.

is it expensive to ship things over? i'm not talking massive furniture, just personal stuff - books, paintings, dvds etc

we're moving into a furnished place but have no idea how furnished or what we'll need yet.

Patsy Stoned Jul 19th 2009 3:07 pm

I brought everything over with me. Sorry I can't remember how much it cost......too long ago and I moved from Northern Cyprus not the UK:)

Madam Medusa Jul 19th 2009 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Becci_Neil (Post 7765499)
is it expensive to ship things over? i'm not talking massive furniture, just personal stuff - books, paintings, dvds etc

we're moving into a furnished place but have no idea how furnished or what we'll need yet.

do a search there are a gazillion threads on this...

MM, xx

Becci_Neil Jul 19th 2009 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7765749)
do a search there are a gazillion threads on this...

MM, xx

Cheers MM

I've been looking the past 2 hours - you're right there's loads - where to start?!?!?!?! lol

Might just bring 6 suit cases with me

Confucius Jul 19th 2009 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Becci_Neil (Post 7766102)
Cheers MM

I've been looking the past 2 hours - you're right there's loads - where to start?!?!?!?! lol

Might just bring 6 suit cases with me

There's also a gazillion threads about 6 suitcases...

MacScot Jul 19th 2009 6:34 pm

Some people can't get their sofas into high-rise apartments here in Dubai...the limiting factor is the height within the lift cabin (max. 8 to 9 feet) ! :(

Zico2009 Jul 20th 2009 3:15 am

When I moved out here in April I moved 42 boxes over not including bed/ sofa/ fridge. I did however take my 40" LCD.

It cost me 1300 GBP and was over within 4 weeks.

If you need the movers name PM me.

TGFKASE Jul 20th 2009 7:42 am

I'd echo a few on here...

I moved everything over in a 40' container.. Was pretty easy as almost half the stuff was still in boxes from the move from the US back to the UK....

Jim Smith Jul 20th 2009 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7766178)
Some people can't get their sofas into high-rise apartments here in Dubai...the limiting factor is the height within the lift cabin (max. 8 to 9 feet) ! :(

Take them up the stairs!