Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What is the cost of living like in Riyadh?

What is the cost of living like in Riyadh?

Old Apr 29th 2014, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Warmers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is the cost of living like in Riyadh?

Greetings all, I have just joined.

I am not actually an expat yet but am weighing up a likely job offer in Riyadh and need to weigh the financial advantages against what I will lose by moving away from my life in the UK.

Can anyone give any guidance on typical rental costs in compounds in Riyadh? I would be alone and looking for the most basic one-man accommodation so that I can save like crazy for however many years I end up out there.

Advice on other aspects of the cost of living there also much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 29th 2014, 7:04 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the cost of living like in Riyadh?

If you're on your own and want to save I would suggest skipping the compound. Even a one bedroom is going to cost you 80,000+ probably on compound. You'll be working in the week so visit compounds at the weekend for some social relief.

Off compound you could get a nice two bedroom for 25-30K a year. The choice is yours.

Other than that, Riyadh is a cheap place to live. Nothing to spend your money on except food and shopping. The shopping is probably the best thing about the place. 50% off normally means exactly that.

Booze in a 'bar' is similar in price to the UK and obviously DIY at home is a lot cheaper.

If you want to save for a few years then it's a good place to be. Once you get a bit of a social life going it's pretty good fun here. Parties all the time if you want it.