Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What car do you drive?

What car do you drive?

Old Aug 21st 2011, 7:43 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What car do you drive?

Drive a Honda Accord now...used to have a long wheel base Prado VX, though didn't like cornering on SZR slip roads - always felt like it might tip over !.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 7:38 am
Account Closed

Tillybean is an unknown quantity at this point

I drive a Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2 door - it's fine for my small commute and I thrash it in the desert at weekends so have had some modifications done to it.

Whatever you get, I would probably not buy brand new because, as others have said, it's very harsh out here for cars and the appalling driving standards leave a lot to be desired.

There are always second hand cars for sale and depending on what you want to do with it/how far/how long your commute is, I would suggest something like a Pajero (3.8 not 3.0) or Prado. A SWB Nissan Patrol would certainly hold it's value but can be difficult to find.

I wouldn't have a small car such as a Tiida or a Mini - some of the large Landcruisers or Hummers would be up and over a Mini without noticing it!

It comes down to preference and what you need it to do. I love my Jeep but am not sure I would want to commute from Dubai to Abu Dhabi daily in it. I rented a car when I first came to the UAE which was a good way to get used to driving and to decide what type of thing I wanted. I then bought a Ford Explorer which I loved, and now have the Jeep. I am looking for an older Nissan Patrol but thats because I spend a lot of time driving in the desert.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 8:51 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Me - Audi S4
Wife - Ford Explorer
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Me - SWB patrol 4.5 litre
Hubby - Fj cruiser

Both used frequently in the desert, any long road journeys we take the FJ.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:04 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

VW R36. Contemplating an FJ Cruiser when I come to change.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Morecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to behold

I used to have a Honda Jazz and I loved it, was really nippy and I never felt unsafe in it on SZR. 49dhs to fill the tank.

After baby number 3, had to get a bigger car obviously, so now have Chevvy Uplander.

Husband has company Prado.

In UK at the moment and driving my friend's Zafira... 3/4 of a tank of petrol cost me £50 yesterday!
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Welivehere
Me - Audi S4
Wife - Ford Explorer
I have an Accord and my wife a CR-V

Not a flash car git, but I love Honda's (excellent/organised service) and since I arrived in the 80's have had

2 Accords (Present one just passing 160K Kms! )
2 Civics
1 Civic SiR The best car of all. Threw it away for 9K after 250K Kms!

Also my wife had a Renault 19 which was a lovely car.

My wife also had a ford Focus which we liked!

And I had a Range Rover for about 7 which I sold for 7K after 250K Kms! Could never have afforded a Range Rover anywhere else, and must admit poured a load of dosh into this one as the components are crap. 2 new back doors etc. However engine never opened.

Last edited by Jim Smith; Aug 22nd 2011 at 11:43 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

brucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nice

Does anyone know of any car hire places in Dubai or Abu Dhabi that allow you to hire fast/luxury cars. In my next visit, I'd like to hire more powerful than a Suzuki with a 1.6L engine. I'm thinking Nissan 350z, Porsche Panamera or what have you.

1. Is it possible to get fully comprehensive insurance over there? Last time I visited they said I'd have to pay for the cost of damages to the car.
2. Does anyone know of any good reputable car hire joints that don't rip people off? We lost our entire deposit, ~£150 equivalent of the UEA Dirhams cash we payed, because apparently we were speeding. A part of my brain tells me he knew that because we were heading back to the UK he could abuse his position somewhat. The agreement was after we returned the car he could deposit the money back into our account five days after the car was returned.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by brucebanner
Does anyone know of any car hire places in Dubai or Abu Dhabi that allow you to hire fast/luxury cars......

http://www.cobone.com/deals/dubaipremium

Today's Deal: Rent a Porsche Cayenne, Range Rover Sport HSE, Nissan Patrol LE, Mercedes S 350 AMG or BMW 730 with full options for 1 day from Majestic Car Rental for AED 649 (Value AED 1300) – Be the king of the road!
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a Camaro - love it.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

I drive taxi's. Didn't bother buying a car here as there isn't really anywhere to drive. But I would love a Citroen SM one day.

Old Aug 22nd 2011, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Morecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Paracletus
I drive taxi's. Didn't bother buying a car here as there isn't really anywhere to drive. But I would love a Citroen SM one day.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...kholm_rear.jpg
How on earth would that cope with the speed bumps?
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Can't see speed bumps being a problem in this car. The front is pretty normal height unlike most super cars and other ridiculous things on the road. I support the removal of all speed bumps however..they are pointless..but this ride promises to be smooth.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morecambe Mindy
How on earth would that cope with the speed bumps?
You've obviously never watched a Citroen doing its party trick of rising up and sinking again.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 1:38 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
You've obviously never watched a Citroen doing its party trick of rising up and sinking again.
ahhh...you beat me to it...had a boyfriend who had a DS Palace....start the car, wait a few seconds and then drive off...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.