Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What car to buy in the UAE

What car to buy in the UAE

Old Dec 2nd 2016, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What car to buy in the UAE

Originally Posted by Debowing
nobody mentioned the FJ cruiser, which is disappointing.
Several people did a few pages back
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debowing
nobody mentioned the FJ cruiser, which is disappointing.
They don't make the FJ any more do they?

Personally I quite like the look of it (based on Google image search as I've never seen one in the flesh!), but I need a car that is good for my commute to work and then can do the occasional trip to the desert.

The FJ seems more of a hardcore offroader
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dominoman
They don't make the FJ any more do they?

Personally I quite like the look of it (based on Google image search as I've never seen one in the flesh!), but I need a car that is good for my commute to work and then can do the occasional trip to the desert.

The FJ seems more of a hardcore offroader
The FJ is every car you will never need. Don't rule it out.

Suicide doors are not for everyone, and kids don't really like the back due to the small windows.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

frequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to all

There's not much dealer hopping to do if you're buying new, they basically have a monopoly out here.

I did a little Pajero shopping last month, there was either 3.5 low to mid spec and only the top spec in the 3.8 with "FULL OPTION" as they call it here! Price was 127000 for the 3.8 before negotiation according to the salesman. This was is Abu Dhabi, the Musaffah location did not have a FULL OPTION in stock for me to see so I'm not sure what you get for your money.

Just out of interest my dad has had a pajero in the USA for 14 years and 103000 miles and until last week hadn't spent a penny on it apart from scheduled maintenance so I think they're a good solid car ar a great price.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frequentflyer1234
There's not much dealer hopping to do if you're buying new, they basically have a monopoly out here.

I did a little Pajero shopping last month, there was either 3.5 low to mid spec and only the top spec in the 3.8 with "FULL OPTION" as they call it here! Price was 127000 for the 3.8 before negotiation according to the salesman. This was is Abu Dhabi, the Musaffah location did not have a FULL OPTION in stock for me to see so I'm not sure what you get for your money.

Just out of interest my dad has had a pajero in the USA for 14 years and 103000 miles and until last week hadn't spent a penny on it apart from scheduled maintenance so I think they're a good solid car ar a great price.
My 6 year old Pajero died at 180km... But that's because I rolled it.

The patrol had 230km when I sold it but it did start to overheat on desert trips. Then again it was 17years old and had a spark plug stuck in the block. It's going well though apparently as I know who I sold it too.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Shawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond repute

I get the new Patrol is marmite, but looks like a strong candidate against the otherwise bland and boring Landcruiser. The resale value also seems to be sky high, which would be pleasantly welcome in 5 years - wish I could say that for my L322, I'd count myself lucky if I can get it off my name when I leave!
Oh and the Nismo version is a beauty. Pricey, but would almost guarantee a day sale.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

you're all obsessed with the FJ - it's a hideous vehicle
Old Dec 5th 2016, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

I personally don't mind the look of the new 2017 Patrol, even though the front looks too car-like for me. I like 4x4s to look more rugged.

The problem is the price. More than double a Pajero. Is it double the car?

I could get a top spec brand new Pajero for the same price as a 6 year old Patrol with 100k on the clock!
Old Dec 5th 2016, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

BTW - How will my insurance work when I get to UAE? Will my UK no-claims discount (16 years and no claims) give me any discount in Abu Dhabi?

I imagine insurance is expensive given the driving standards?
Old Dec 5th 2016, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

frequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to all

I find the insurance to be very reasonable. Shop around and remember to negotiate hard.

Get a no claims letter from your home insurer before you come out here and use that to get a discount and remember to shop around and negotiate hard!

An example of this is when getting insurance for my wife's Mazda 2, the premiums quoted ranged from 4500 dirhams to 1400 dirhams for a brand new car with agency repair at an insured value of 40000 dirhams.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks. Any tips on negotiating? It's not something I'd have thought of for insurance!

What about 2nd hand cars on Dubizzle. What kind of discount on the advertised price should I be putting forward as a starting point? And what kind of discount would be normal to end up getting?
Old Dec 6th 2016, 2:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I believe insurance starts at 5% of the cars value.

Goes up and down from there.

I didn't bring no claims from UK, probably should have, but I have it out here and it helps a bit.
If brand new then agency repairs is something to seriously consider but if older then less important I think.

There's a comparison site (Millhouse suggested previously, can't remember but google will find it). Normally you'll get the quote, then ring and barter but depending what it is you may or may not get much off.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp
I believe insurance starts at 5% of the cars value.

Goes up and down from there.

I didn't bring no claims from UK, probably should have, but I have it out here and it helps a bit.
If brand new then agency repairs is something to seriously consider but if older then less important I think.

There's a comparison site (Millhouse suggested previously, can't remember but google will find it). Normally you'll get the quote, then ring and barter but depending what it is you may or may not get much off.
insureme.ae - a broker. I just use them, 5% of the value is high - I normally pay 2-2.5% for the top package.

You won't get much off when negotiating with a broker - a hundred dirhams here or there.

On buying a car - the first offer is just above half the asking price, then you work from there, slowly to around 10% off the asking price. You will feel like an asshole, they will think you are an asshole but the truth is, this is a town full of assholes and everyone before and after you will do the same.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 5:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
insureme.ae - a broker. I just use them, 5% of the value is high - I normally pay 2-2.5% for the top package.

You won't get much off when negotiating with a broker - a hundred dirhams here or there.

On buying a car - the first offer is just above half the asking price, then you work from there, slowly to around 10% off the asking price. You will feel like an asshole, they will think you are an asshole but the truth is, this is a town full of assholes and everyone before and after you will do the same.
Yeah, 5% is the start for the insurer before adding no claims etc I mean. Mine is always a lower. Mine is 3.1% but the car is worth less than when insured and I think the insured amount was a bit high so probably ended up closer to 4%.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh, the annual what car thread.....

FJ - Meh, not my cup of tea. They're OK if the Extreme or blinged up a bit. Very plasticy and FUGLY. Good on the road and decent off-road (although a Jeep is better). Stopped production now and only being sold new over here I think.

Wrangler (JK) - They're OK if the Rubicon or blinged up a bit. Quite plasticy, especially the awful front bumper. Average to good on the road (FJ is better although the Pentastar 3.6 is a MASSIVE improvement over the previous 3.8) and very good off-road. The roof off ability is awesome and the scope to modify them is HUGE. Much improved. New model coming 2017.

Pajero - yawn. Bit dull but a 'good' car however could never be accused of being exciting. Decent value. Good on the road (although the Prado is better) and no slouch off road.

Fortuners - Hi-lux with better toys. 2.7 is under powered. 4.0 was OK. Brakes were scary on both. Haven't driven the new ones.

Prado - over rated. Decent on the road and average off road (Pajero is better). It's too road orientated to be decent - no feel.

Landcruisers - Don't so what all the fuss is about. Had one as a hire car last year. Like a cruise ship in a rolling sea on the road. Only did wadi's off-road and was OK, wouldn't particularly wanted to take it in the dunes.

Patrols - HUGE! Haven't driven one of the new ones. Mate had a shorty 4800 Safari manual back in the day and didn't see what all the fuss was about but the locals loved them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.