Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What can't women do in Saudi ?

What can't women do in Saudi ?

Old Jun 6th 2012, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

rosario will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What can't women do in Saudi ?

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
I don't know any western women who routinely cover their hair in Riyadh. My wife did not, but always carried a scarf for when stopped by the Muttawa.

I usually end up fasting during Ramadan because i can't find food. Only difference is the Arabs start at 10.00 am give up work at 2.30pm whereas we keep going from 8.00 am to 5.30 pm. You would think with the years of practice they would be better at it.
I was in Saudi 7 years and tried fasting the last three. I did it the way I was advised. Set alarm clock before sun up. Had biscuit and cup of tea. Started work at 7.30am and finished at 2.30 went to bed and got up and broke fast at sun down. Was quite hard coping without the water and had spliting headache but was shocked at the amount of feasting that then goes on in hotels etc. Not sure that is how it supposed to be. Felt sorry for the women who have to prepare such large amounts of food without tasting!
Old Jun 9th 2012, 8:09 pm
Banned

Nid23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Drive
Old Jun 10th 2012, 2:14 am
Just Joined

Deb568 has a spectacular aura aboutDeb568 has a spectacular aura aboutDeb568 has a spectacular aura about

Women can't drive. They can't work without permission of their male guardians, either their husbands or fathers. Running a business can be impractical, because you're not meant to work with unrelated males, but you need a male to deal with other males you may need to deal with in the normal course of business.

None of this really matters if you are well off. Women have chauffeurs. The irony of that society, don't you think, that men should be women's servants! If you have maids at home, so much the better. It frees you up to see to the pleasanter aspects of life. But of course, all this depends on having a male providor who can provide for you sufficiently to give you the lifestyle you want.

At the other end of the scale, if you are a widow or worse, have been left by your man but not officially divorced, living in Saudi Arabia would be a disaster. Even for a muslim woman.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

lostinthedust is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Sensible answers please . My move is coming soon so I would like info on what women can't do. Is it impossible for a women to walk on her own in the street and stuff like that. I know they can't drive . What else ?
Are you coming to Riyadh? Riyadh, Jeddah and Al Khobar all have a different vibe, though Riyadh has relaxed in the last few years. I'll answer for Riyadh.

Must always wear the abaya (though have seen western women in Tamimi Al Khobar without an abaya, just dressed conservative. Honestly, an abaya is easier). Carry a scarf as occassionally may encounter a Mutawa, though even this is rare now. Mostly in the malls during school holidays. I choose to cover my hair during Ramadan when in public (which isn't often).

Don't ever, ever eat or drink in public in Ramadan (this goes for everyone)!

Its not impossible to walk on the street alone but not a great idea in most areas. Most of the year its too hot. Non existant or broken sidewalks even in the "good" parts of town. Crossing busy roads is dangerous. Also there's nowhere to walk to so no point really. A women will be stared at, hooted at and followed.

Its fine to go shopping alone in the mall. The closing of shops for prayer is a pain but you work around it. Some supermarkets allow you to remain inside and they just close the cash registers.

She should not go out alone in public with male friends/colleagues, no matter how innocent the relationship. As a couple, you are fine going out with a single man. Of course, unmarried people here do go out in public together and some get caught.

Always use a reputable limo company/compound drivers. Street taxis are not advised.

An accompanying wife can work when on her husbands visa. Schools, pre-schools, embassies, ESL schools etc. all take on "local hire". Just a basic salary of course with no benefits.

I have never had to produce it, but carry a "letter of permission" from my husband when travelling without him. This is a big joke between us.

Can't think of anything else just now....