British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   what is the best way to find architect job (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/what-best-way-find-architect-job-570290/)

alinoee Oct 30th 2008 9:49 pm

what is the best way to find architect job

in Dubai . recently i started thinking to move to meddle east from Dublin and im trying to do some research. are agencies the only way to go?
i tried to find some direct contacts but didn't get to far. thanks for any advice.

Lyds Oct 31st 2008 5:16 pm

Re: what is the best way to find architect job

how do you find a job in architecture where you currently are?

This thread comes up time and time again and it's quite unbelievable. The following is aimed at architectural jobseekers in general.

Here, there are the Big Boys. You will not get through to the people who matter by calling some random number - unless you are astoundingly talented.

The Big Boys do not have time to answer calls from random jobseekers or sift through the hundreds of CVs that they are sent/faxed/emailed every week. They get a secretary to have a quick look and shortlist the best 5-10% (those with no spelling/grammatical mistakes, the right experience, a few interesting projects or an unusual educational/career path) who then get 30 seconds (no joke, if you're lucky!) to make an impact. Don't put anything too ridiculous in your "perosnal interests", cos the laughter distracts us from our work.

If you really want a job out here, it takes about 20 seconds to google "architectural recruitment agencies". You should have already done that. No, really. Like now.

Welcome to corporate architecture!

-----------

Anyhow, I wish you luck, Alinoee. Go for the agencies. Do some research into the major construction companies out here, a few projects, more importantly the masterplanned projects in the pipeline. Whatever you do don't get all bunny-in-the-headlights and mumble something about how well fabulous it all is, cos it ain't. It's ego architecture here. The bigger and better the erection, the happier the client is! :p

Bob Oct 31st 2008 5:34 pm

Welcome to BE....but really, just like you found this forum, you can search the numerous threads and read the wiki to get your head over the subject...and even if this is only an informal forum, you should at least try to use proper grammar when posing a serious work type question for those who might be able to help on the boards.

Lyds Oct 31st 2008 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 6929003)
Welcome to BE....but really, just like you found this forum, you can search the numerous threads and read the wiki to get your head over the subject...and even if this is only an informal forum, you should at least try to use proper grammar when posing a serious work type question for those who might be able to help on the boards.

Hear hear! Grammar and spelling mistakes = instant fail on CVs

Also, if you can make the effort in a CV, then there's no excuse not to in all other conversations. People may pew pew and say that it's now widely accepted that emails can be more informal, that txt speak is understood as its own form of communication and that it's just pedantic to expect otherwise... BUT it makes a difference to those who count.

/rant over

commander Oct 31st 2008 6:49 pm

thats her told....

Lyds Oct 31st 2008 6:55 pm

No, it's been brewing for a while. That was the polite version!

Architecture's a tough profession - not only do you have to bend over backwards for very little reward, but you often have to provide your own tub of Vaseline.

Corporate architecture is very, very different from the lovely small practices you get in the country. They don't take prisoners... nor people who show little initiative.

commander Oct 31st 2008 6:58 pm

only in dubai.........

Lyds Oct 31st 2008 7:05 pm

only in Dubai? What, the corporate architecture thing? In my experience, it happens whenever the contracts get huge and when you're actually employed by construction companies - it's simple logic - the drivers are worlds apart if you are looking to make maximum profit from the development or if the project is going to be your family home. Timescales are different, finishes are different, client relationships, financing pressures... you name it.

No matter, it depends what does it for you. I think I'm going to turn to the Dark Side as my next career move. Moihahahahaha!

alinoee Oct 31st 2008 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Lyds (Post 6928963)
how do you find a job in architecture where you currently are?
:p

i know people here so can ask around or check architect's institute web page and find practices looking for architects not agencies. i was wondering if there is sth similar in UAE.

This thread comes up time and time again and it's quite unbelievable.

dont read it

h
cos the laughter distracts us from our work.
Welcome to corporate architecture!

get a life

If you really want a job out here, it takes about 20 seconds to google "architectural recruitment agencies". You should have already done that. No, really. Like now.

i did and that's not what i asked

anyhow, I wish you luck, Alinoee. Go for the agencies. Do some research into the major construction companies out here, a few projects, more importantly the masterplanned projects in the pipeline. Whatever you do don't get all bunny-in-the-headlights and mumble something about how well fabulous it all is, cos it ain't. :p

thanks a mill for info

It's ego architecture here. The bigger and better the erection, the happier the client is! :p

Originally Posted by Lyds (Post 6929207)
not only do you have to bend over backwards for very little reward, but you often have to provide your own tub of Vaseline.

haha this is what im looking for. i bent to libeskind and som teams -
vaseline or not - it hurts.
cheers. starting to seriously consider moving : )

alinoee Oct 31st 2008 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 6929003)

this is what im doing. and apologies - it wasn't 'a serious work type question' - just a question. and believe it or not - whole world does not speak perfect English.
thanks for help anyway

Bob Nov 1st 2008 12:37 am

Originally Posted by alinoee (Post 6929650)
this is what im doing. and apologies - it wasn't 'a serious work type question' - just a question. and believe it or not - whole world does not speak perfect English.
thanks for help anyway

Well pissing those who might be able to help you won't get you any further...and sure this wasn't in a job app site, but those who might be able to help and ask for info might well not now bother with your arsey comments, because character does not a fitting and all that.

And, it's not like there isn't a large wiki with a huge list of recruitment sites, and especially those targeted to architecture as well as past threads on the subject not easily available to you.

alinoee Nov 1st 2008 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 6929949)
Well pissing those who might be able to help

well, what can i say. you didn't. but thanks again and I'm sure your Arabic gramma is as good as it gets.
i read wiki and tried to get some views from people who lives there.

theduke Nov 1st 2008 2:43 am

Originally Posted by alinoee (Post 6929961)
well, what can i say. you didn't. but thanks again and I'm sure your Arabic gramma is as good as it gets.
i read wiki and tried to get some views from people who lives there.

Best place is agencies, there are loads, try job sites such as www.seek.com lots more!!!.

You will no doubt end up on site doing details though as you no doubt already realise, until you prove yourself.

Good Luck!

Charismatic Nov 1st 2008 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Lyds (Post 6929207)
Architecture's a tough profession

:rofl:

I worked for one of, if not the largest Engineering consultancy here and the Architectural division had a cake walk. I always thought the structural Engineers had the most demanding profession (mostly mathmatics) followed by soil engineers (mostly guessing and crossing their fingers).

Lyds Nov 1st 2008 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 6930239)
:rofl:

I worked for one of, if not the largest Engineering consultancy here and the Architectural division had a cake walk. I always thought the structural Engineers had the most demanding profession (mostly mathmatics) followed by soil engineers (mostly guessing and crossing their fingers).

hehe - my last place was a major contractor and for some strange reason we ended up doing the structural engineer's drawings (we needed the structure for the plans and when asked, they just said "oh, stick it on as you want, it'll be fine") and they just coloured our drawings in afterwards... and they earnt a larger fee than us. That's what I call clever! :thumbup:

Hmm... although on another occasion, I had to pick up the pieces of an engineering company's architectural cake-walk and it was not pretty.

Anyhow, alinoee, you've obviously got it all sussed. Your advice to get a life was already on my priority list, hence the career change. I happen to want to make this place marginally better and not just churn out more sickeningly self-centred papp. Happy door scheduling! :zzz: