Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What about the wife and kids working?

What about the wife and kids working?

Old Jul 19th 2009, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

guitarjo64 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What about the wife and kids working?

Thanks for the advise. It sounds like it could work out to a bit tricky.
Originally Posted by Euc-
About the legal issues, I am not absolutely sure, but I believe (unless it has changed) you can sponsor unmarried daughters, but cannot sponsor your son, as he is 18. You should have no problem to sponsor your wife for a residence visa (provided you earn over 10.000Dhs a month), technically on just the residence she is not allowed to work, although if she does find a part-time job its just a formality to apply for a work visa. (If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me on this).

The only way you can get your son here is if he either enrolls in an UAE college/university or will find a job here. Of course he could keep doing visa runs every month, but that will get pretty inconvenient in the long run.

Keep in mind that all the "traditional trades" are being done by labourers from third world countries who work for peanuts, same goes for most shop assistants and the likes. Expect salaries of 2000Dhs. max for 10hrs a day/6days a week.

Where it comes down to: unskilled labour = third world staff = cheap labour. Companies don't care if you do a better job, the cheaper the better for them.

So, tell them they'll be earning 300quid a month while working 60hrs a week and you can line the schools up for them
Old Jul 19th 2009, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your responses. Nothing is never easy!!! But at least i know have a good idea.
Originally Posted by Euc-
About the legal issues, I am not absolutely sure, but I believe (unless it has changed) you can sponsor unmarried daughters, but cannot sponsor your son, as he is 18. You should have no problem to sponsor your wife for a residence visa (provided you earn over 10.000Dhs a month), technically on just the residence she is not allowed to work, although if she does find a part-time job its just a formality to apply for a work visa. (If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me on this).

The only way you can get your son here is if he either enrolls in an UAE college/university or will find a job here. Of course he could keep doing visa runs every month, but that will get pretty inconvenient in the long run.

Keep in mind that all the "traditional trades" are being done by labourers from third world countries who work for peanuts, same goes for most shop assistants and the likes. Expect salaries of 2000Dhs. max for 10hrs a day/6days a week.

Where it comes down to: unskilled labour = third world staff = cheap labour. Companies don't care if you do a better job, the cheaper the better for them.

So, tell them they'll be earning 300quid a month while working 60hrs a week and you can line the schools up for them
Old Jul 19th 2009, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your responses above. Could be a bit tricky for my lad but at least i know have a bit of a hed start. Cheers