British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   What about attending matches of UAE league? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/what-about-attending-matches-uae-league-942359/)

dxbfalcon Jan 15th 2022 12:49 am

What about attending matches of UAE league?

I wish that you all don't misunderstand me.
I am a UAE local. The reason I posted this thread is that I am a football lover. I attend matches in the local league frequently.
I support a team in Dubai called Al Wasl. I have noticed that some UK expects are actually attending and enjoying the games. But what I have found special is that they really get engaged very fast to the league and they actually start supporting a team!
UK people are really very friendly and polite. I wish them all the best.

If you are an expat living in UAE and missing attending football games back in your home country, you have to join and attend UAE league matches!
Unexpected by many, UAE has a great football league which is ranked as one of the top leagues in Asia. Actually several times it got the 1st league in Asia.
So why not start attending UAE league matches? And who knows you might get engaged supporting one of the teams and become a dominant fan of the team!

Some matches are for free. For other matches, the ticket costs around 10-20 AED only <snip>
So if anyone is interested, I can guide him to the different games and why not attending together a game!

By the way, there is a promising match today for those who are living in Dubai. It will be at 5:00 PM in Zabeel Stadium between Al Wasl (my lovely team) and Al Ain team. The game is a quarter-final of the president cup of UAE, and it is free for Al Wasl fans.

Let's goooo UAE league!

Miss Ann Thrope Jan 15th 2022 3:19 pm

Re: What about attending matches of UAE league?

Regardless of whether this was a (clever) piece of marketing/PR, I think it's great to see this outreach. I no longer live in the UAE but I did attend some matches while living there and I definitely agree that it's worth doing. In fact I recall some previous threads on the subject - Scamp for sure was a contributor (but isn't he always). There were peaks of interest around the times Maradona, David O'Leary, Cannavaro etc were involved. Mostly with al Wasl!

The stadium organisation can be a bit chaotic. The atmosphere is always interesting even though many games are sparsely attended. The football is highly variable and the tacking is definitely not for the faint hearted. But it's certainly usually good value for money and a great way to break out of the pernicious expat bubble.

I would encourage the original poster, even if it was not his starting intent, to hang around and continue to contribute on all topics on this board.

flares Jan 15th 2022 7:16 pm

Lucas Neill also played at Al Wasl after a spell in Abu Dhabi with Al Jazira.

From what I could tell in my time in UAE Al Ain were always the biggest team. Other Abu Dhabi teams were Al Wahda, Al Jazira and Bani Yas,

During my time as an expat in Abu Dhabi I never really chose one over another to support but did watch a few games. One of the good ones i remember was Al Wahda v Al Ittihad (KSA) in the Arab Champions League. Quite a few Saudi girls in the black and yellow supporting their team which was a novelty for them.

We watched quite a few games at ZSC including the 2010 and 2011 FIFA Supercup matches; Brazil (Kaka) v UAE in 2005; Man City v UAE; Tunisia v Ivory Coast.

I'm surprised no Emiratis (or other gulf players) have made it in European leagues..

dxbfalcon Jan 15th 2022 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 13088278)
Regardless of whether this was a (clever) piece of marketing/PR, I think it's great to see this outreach. I no longer live in the UAE but I did attend some matches while living there and I definitely agree that it's worth doing. In fact I recall some previous threads on the subject - Scamp for sure was a contributor (but isn't he always). There were peaks of interest around the times Maradona, David O'Leary, Cannavaro etc were involved. Mostly with al Wasl!

The stadium organisation can be a bit chaotic. The atmosphere is always interesting even though many games are sparsely attended. The football is highly variable and the tacking is definitely not for the faint hearted. But it's certainly usually good value for money and a great way to break out of the pernicious expat bubble.

I would encourage the original poster, even if it was not his starting intent, to hang around and continue to contribute on all topics on this board.

Dear Friend,
Actually yes. It is really a marketing thread for my team and our league, but not as you think.
I love our football and wish for it all the best. It is my responsibility as a strong fan to try marketing for my team and get new fans addicted to my team.
And what kind of business marketing I can do. As I said in the main thread, the tickets are usually for free, so what will I benefit?
Also for the games that are not free, you are more than welcome to my team and I will get you a free ticket.
You are my guest and I might end up taking you to an Arabian dinner :wink_smile:.

So for those who are interested, they can come to the stadium and they will find me there. A stadium is a public place where you should not feel panic meeting someone there.

And thank you for your nice words about our football. Thank you for the good "marketing" :wink_smile:.

BTW, today we won Al Ain 2-1. It was an epic game.

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

dxbfalcon Jan 15th 2022 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by flares (Post 13088306)
Lucas Neill also played at Al Wasl after a spell in Abu Dhabi with Al Jazira.

From what I could tell in my time in UAE Al Ain were always the biggest team. Other Abu Dhabi teams were Al Wahda, Al Jazira and Bani Yas,

During my time as an expat in Abu Dhabi I never really chose one over another to support but did watch a few games. One of the good ones i remember was Al Wahda v Al Ittihad (KSA) in the Arab Champions League. Quite a few Saudi girls in the black and yellow supporting their team which was a novelty for them.

We watched quite a few games at ZSC including the 2010 and 2011 FIFA Supercup matches; Brazil (Kaka) v UAE in 2005; Man City v UAE; Tunisia v Ivory Coast.

I'm surprised no Emiratis (or other gulf players) have made it in European leagues..

My friend, today we beet Al Ain 2-1 and qualified to semi-finals :thumbsup:.

flares Jan 16th 2022 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by dxbfalcon (Post 13088316)
My friend, today we beet Al Ain 2-1 and qualified to semi-finals :thumbsup:.

Mabrook habibi

dxbfalcon Jan 16th 2022 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by flares (Post 13088431)
Mabrook habibi

Thank you :)

SouthTXEngineer00 Jan 16th 2022 10:55 pm

Excellent post dxbfalcon ! When I was in UAE from 2016-2020 I made it a point to attend at least one match in the home stadium of every team in the ProLeague. I was at the AFC Champions League Final match a few years back between Al Ain and Hyundai Jeonbuk. The new Khor Fakkan stadium was still under construction when I got moved back to the USA in 2020, but I'm fortunate to be moving back to Abu Dhabi in the next few weeks, and that stadium is first on my list of games to attend.

dxbfalcon Jan 16th 2022 11:09 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by SouthTXEngineer00 (Post 13088471)
Excellent post dxbfalcon ! When I was in UAE from 2016-2020 I made it a point to attend at least one match in the home stadium of every team in the ProLeague. I was at the AFC Champions League Final match a few years back between Al Ain and Hyundai Jeonbuk. The new Khor Fakkan stadium was still under construction when I got moved back to the USA in 2020, but I'm fortunate to be moving back to Abu Dhabi in the next few weeks, and that stadium is first on my list of games to attend.

Amazing post!
Al Ain and Jeonbuk match was a very sad game for Al Ain. They played very well but they could not get the Asian League.

Attached is from yesterday's match which we won :thumbsup:.

Dear SouthTXEnginee, What about attending some matches together when you are here in UAE :fingerscrossed:?

SouthTXEngineer00 Jan 17th 2022 12:36 am

dxbfalcon Would definitely like to catch a match with you :thumbs_up:

dxbfalcon Jan 17th 2022 12:38 am

Originally Posted by SouthTXEngineer00 (Post 13088478)
dxbfalcon Would definitely like to catch a match with you :thumbs_up:

That's great :thumbsup:

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 17th 2022 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 13088278)

I was at the Al Wasl vs Dubai FC game about 5-6 years ago when there was a red card, fights, saved penalty and last minute winner for Al Wasl. It was one of the best matches I've ever been to, here or the UK. Even including the old Spaniard in midfield (Hugo VIana) who scored a screamer.

Atmosphere was insnane, entrance to the 'VIP' section was buttons and the scarf I bought on the night is treasured.

Never been back, but definitely should give it another bash.

Maxima Jan 18th 2022 4:47 pm

I spent the first decade of my life living across Wahda's stadium so no doubt I supported them, and also attended dozens of games in the 2000-2010 period...

Al Ain - is definitely the most supported in terms of numbers of fans
Jazeera - the club with the best funding in the 2000-2015 period
Wahda - the only club based in downtown Abu Dhabi; had a huge Sudanese fan following in the 90s which withered away for unknown reasons. In the mid noughties half of UAE's team comprised Wahda players, including Ismail Matar, probably UAE's best ever No. 10

Dubai clubs

Wasl: the club which seems to have the most "royal" connection, maybe because they are across the highway from the Royal Palace. They had Maradona as coach some time back and also some good foreign players. They were big in the 80s. They had 2 extremely talented players in the 90s, Zuhair Bakheet and Majed Naser (a GK), both of whom had disciplinary issues.

Nasr: Dubai;s oldest club, they had a team in the WW2 period as well. Their new stadium is swanky and the coolest looking UAE stadium IMO. They are also the only club in Dubai not to win the league since the 80s

Shabab Al Ahli: They were 2 rival clubs but got merged in 2016 or 17. Think Villa and Brum combining. Both had several good players to play in the UAE NT; Ahli with the Khalil brothers and Shabab with the Saad siblings

dxbfalcon Jan 20th 2022 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 13088520)
I was at the Al Wasl vs Dubai FC game about 5-6 years ago when there was a red card, fights, saved penalty and last minute winner for Al Wasl. It was one of the best matches I've ever been to, here or the UK. Even including the old Spaniard in midfield (Hugo VIana) who scored a screamer.

Atmosphere was insnane, entrance to the 'VIP' section was buttons and the scarf I bought on the night is treasured.

Never been back, but definitely should give it another bash.

Saying that the match you watched at Al Wasl stadium was one of the best matches you have ever been in your life is really epiccc.
But by the way, I think you are talking about a match between Al Wasl and Al Naser not Dubai FC. The games ended 3-2.
Here are the goals of the match:

dxbfalcon Jan 20th 2022 2:07 am

Originally Posted by Maxima (Post 13088811)
I spent the first decade of my life living across Wahda's stadium so no doubt I supported them, and also attended dozens of games in the 2000-2010 period...

Al Ain - is definitely the most supported in terms of numbers of fans
Jazeera - the club with the best funding in the 2000-2015 period
Wahda - the only club based in downtown Abu Dhabi; had a huge Sudanese fan following in the 90s which withered away for unknown reasons. In the mid noughties half of UAE's team comprised Wahda players, including Ismail Matar, probably UAE's best ever No. 10

Dubai clubs

Wasl: the club which seems to have the most "royal" connection, maybe because they are across the highway from the Royal Palace. They had Maradona as coach some time back and also some good foreign players. They were big in the 80s. They had 2 extremely talented players in the 90s, Zuhair Bakheet and Majed Naser (a GK), both of whom had disciplinary issues.

Nasr: Dubai;s oldest club, they had a team in the WW2 period as well. Their new stadium is swanky and the coolest looking UAE stadium IMO. They are also the only club in Dubai not to win the league since the 80s

Shabab Al Ahli: They were 2 rival clubs but got merged in 2016 or 17. Think Villa and Brum combining. Both had several good players to play in the UAE NT; Ahli with the Khalil brothers and Shabab with the Saad siblings

Wow!!! What a fantastic post! Never thought I would find an expat with this deep knowledge of the league. However, only one incorrect fact. Al Wasl is not a "royal" club at all. Actually, it is one of the lowest funded clubs in Dubai even though it has a huge fan base in UAE. Al Ahli is the "royal" club of Dubai.