Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Well...apartment hunting again

Well...apartment hunting again

Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:50 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Well...apartment hunting again

Took my wife to see the apartment at Al Rigga and she turned her nose up, to be fair it looked better in the daylight and it was fairly noisy as well at night, so good job we came backand checked again, a real shame as it would have been dead cheap as all they would have done is not pay me my housing allowance,

So bearing in mind we both work in Deira, whats a decet place to live? Some of my wifes workmates live in Mirdif and say thats good, I'm not that bothered about travelling to be honest as long as after work I come back to a nice place where I can relax,

although the missus still has ideas about living in the Palm, not sure where she thinks the money's going to come from mind...saying that I'd love to live near the beach,

think we're looking at something like Dir 120,000 per year

any suggestions?
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:09 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well...apartment hunting again

I would still look over that end of town to be honest with you, 120 won't get you anything up this end - possibly where you are now but I have a pal there who is desperate to get out cos of the construction noise etc! driving her nuts. I think there is the odd 2 bed over in Mirdiff for 120k but they are like hens teeth! Speak to Meow about her building, it sounds really nice and she is over Al Rigga way too. The other alternative is the Mankhool area - Insellafen was there and hated it, I did 5 years there and would go back tomorrow. Satwa, another great area and might be in your price range - handy for pubs and shopping etc. Good luck !
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I would still look over that end of town to be honest with you, 120 won't get you anything up this end - possibly where you are now but I have a pal there who is desperate to get out cos of the construction noise etc! driving her nuts. I think there is the odd 2 bed over in Mirdiff for 120k but they are like hens teeth! Speak to Meow about her building, it sounds really nice and she is over Al Rigga way too. The other alternative is the Mankhool area - Insellafen was there and hated it, I did 5 years there and would go back tomorrow. Satwa, another great area and might be in your price range - handy for pubs and shopping etc. Good luck !
Mankhool is ok for first 6-12 months and usually no problem with the traffic. used to take me 20 minutes to get to work on the Rigga Road.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:46 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Mankhool is ok for first 6-12 months and usually no problem with the traffic. used to take me 20 minutes to get to work on the Rigga Road.
Al Diyafah to Garhoud/Jaddaf is still only about a 15 minute run - for now that is
Old Feb 11th 2008, 6:48 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Well Al Rigga was nosiy last night as it was full of Eygptians celebrating winning some poxy football tournament!

It isn't the quietest of areas, but not a problem if you have decent windows. It also has lots going on & it isn't hard to get to where you'll be working. You may also find it handy to have things on your doorstep to start with, rather than being out in the suburbs. Certainly easier to pickup taxis from here than in a purely residential enclave.

I did ask Spugsy what building he was looking at, but he didn't tell me. Happy to help if he wants to ask!
Old Feb 11th 2008, 7:17 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

yeah but this was before the footy finished, and the windows weren't great, and the view bloody terrible, but I didn't expect a good view there,

I really like Al Rigga to be honest, its busy and vibrant, lots of people around and plenty of places to get food, I'd be more than happy to live there, plus work is 10 mins away,

it was the building above the panasonic showroom, the street just behind Rigga, massive rooms, but it waslike a school, all floors were sort of marble, cold and just not where you could really make a home,

plus there wasn't a stick in there, no cooker, fridge, absolutely nothing - is this the norm?

Any advice on apartments round that way Meow?

ta.

Meow
Well Al Rigga was nosiy last night as it was full of Eygptians celebrating winning some poxy football tournament!

It isn't the quietest of areas, but not a problem if you have decent windows. It also has lots going on & it isn't hard to get to where you'll be working. You may also find it handy to have things on your doorstep to start with, rather than being out in the suburbs. Certainly easier to pickup taxis from here than in a purely residential enclave.

I did ask Spugsy what building he was looking at, but he didn't tell me. Happy to help if he wants to ask!
Old Feb 11th 2008, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow

picking up taxis depends on the time of day and time of year. I once walked back from my office to Bur Dubai as it was impossible to get a cab.

There is a great Iraqi reatuarant on Muraqqabat (sp.) thats well worth trying. Cant remember the name of it!
Old Feb 11th 2008, 7:54 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
picking up taxis depends on the time of day and time of year. I once walked back from my office to Bur Dubai as it was impossible to get a cab.
Also helps if you know the best place to stand

We are near a smart hotel & can often get house cars if cabs are scarce. We also have a car company in a neaby building.

Spugsy - I have PM'd you with info. Doesn't do to put personal info on a public site - too many weirdos around!
Old Feb 11th 2008, 2:58 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
Took my wife to see the apartment at Al Rigga and she turned her nose up, to be fair it looked better in the daylight and it was fairly noisy as well at night, so good job we came backand checked again, a real shame as it would have been dead cheap as all they would have done is not pay me my housing allowance,

So bearing in mind we both work in Deira, whats a decet place to live? Some of my wifes workmates live in Mirdif and say thats good, I'm not that bothered about travelling to be honest as long as after work I come back to a nice place where I can relax,

although the missus still has ideas about living in the Palm, not sure where she thinks the money's going to come from mind...saying that I'd love to live near the beach,

think we're looking at something like Dir 120,000 per year

any suggestions?
Work in Deira and live on the Palm....and I assume get to the office by helicopter!

I think you should be looking around the back of Bur Juman - there are a few nice buildings with parking and you're in the middle of a major mall, two decent supermarkets, the creekside (lovely to walk this time of year aside from being stared at by subcontinentals) and some pretty lively bars with far more down to earth people than you will find past the Madinat!

Also, the area behind Lamcy plaza is not too bad.

N.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 3:50 am
Bored liberal

Some dodgy companies nr Lamcy Plaza though Norm!

Traffic in & out of Bur Dubai can be horrendous though. I quite like the area but it makes Deira look good in terms of traffic delays!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:09 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Traffic in & out of Bur Dubai can be horrendous though. I quite like the area but it makes Deira look good in terms of traffic delays!
No idea what you mean by dodgy...

It's a easier to get from Deira to Lamcy or vice verse that from Deira to Bur Juman though...it might open up more though once the trains are running as it's all underground there and should be quite nice (unlike shk. zayed rd where the stations will be 8km from anywhere you might actually want to go to!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

its no problem commuting from Bur Dubai to Deira. did it for 4 months.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 11:53 am
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine has a really big two bedroom apartment on the Palm with seaviews, it took her ages to finally rent it out, and she only got 130k PA rent for it, so there are bargins potentially to be had if your wife is still keen on living on the Palm.

However, if you're looking at villas, no way will you get one for under 250k at least.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

angelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Zannie
A friend of mine has a really big two bedroom apartment on the Palm with seaviews, it took her ages to finally rent it out, and she only got 130k PA rent for it, so there are bargins potentially to be had if your wife is still keen on living on the Palm.

However, if you're looking at villas, no way will you get one for under 250k at least.
wow! that is cheap. which agent did she go through??!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Whichever agent it was they want shooting. Palm for less than the Greens? Please!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.