Welcome To Dubai!

Old Mar 15th 2010, 6:05 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welcome To Dubai!

Originally Posted by GingerWizard
it really wouldnt surprise me this time if they made an example of these 2...think the locals here are well peeved with all the bad British press at the moment but they continue to feed it with pointless cases like this
and in doing so they are putting a loaded gun to their heads on tourism

I personally think they should make all the rules an addition to a travel booking or flight here / which the traveller has to "Accept" online so say they have read & understood...because if half the tourists knew the 1 drink and you could be knicked I think the tourist rate would fall to new lows here

they cant have it both ways here by encouraging and open the doors to "Liberal western style desert holiday" then expect Dave & Sharon on holdiday not to have a snog, hold hands in mall and get p*ssed every nite
Saudi now has you sign a form when applying for an entry visa, stating that you know all the reasons they can execute you, jail you etc...
Attached Thumbnails Welcome To Dubai!-saudi-visa-secondary-form.jpg  
Old Mar 15th 2010, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Saudi now has you sign a form when applying for an entry visa, stating that you know all the reasons they can execute you, jail you etc...
How can you sign a form that says you will abide by all laws and regs when you don't know all the laws and regs.

I know, common sense will tell you to not do anything dopey (no pun).....but (as in the UAE) sometimes you think you're abiding by the law when in fact you aren't.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

HOw can you sign a form that says you will abide by all laws and regs when you don't know all the laws and regs.

I know, common sense will tell you to not do anything dopey (no pun).....but (as in the UAE) sometimes you think you're abiding by the law when in fact you aren't.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 7:16 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
How can you sign a form that says you will abide by all laws and regs when you don't know all the laws and regs.

The form is irrelevant.

On sovereign territory you are subject to the laws of that territory whether you like it or not, and it's a basic legal principle that ignorance of the law is never a valid defence.

The issue in the UAE seems to be more that even when you do know the laws they seem to be applied in a very inconsistent way which is confusing.

Making the assumption that just because other people break the rules then it's OK for everyone to do so is clearly slightly ropey logic, but in the UK with a common law and therefore precedent system it can be a valid defence. Subconsciously, a lot of Brits (and US and other Commonwealth countries with similar legal systems) think this way so it defines our concept of 'fairness'.

The UAE has a civil law system which doesn't take any precedent into account, only what is written down (and that is based primarily on Sharia with a bit of Roman law thrown in).
Old Mar 15th 2010, 7:28 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

"The UAE has a civil law system which doesn't take any precedent into account, only what is written down"

And that is the nub of my issue here - what is written down? Where can we read this, and other, laws? Even in Arabic?
Old Mar 15th 2010, 7:38 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

They can't even get the spelling right. Does this make the form void?
Old Mar 15th 2010, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute

What would happen if someone were to call police if they are witnessing a local inside a bar sitting beside some woman who clearly isnt his wife? We have all saw this before.
I have seen lots of locals in Abu Dhabi Bars drinking alcohol, I never once felt ''offended'' or felt the need to call the police(just silently thought..hypocrite)...just wondering what might happen If we did, He wouldnt have a liecence to drink and also I would assume he is breaking Sharia law.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 5:42 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arcadia
What would happen if someone were to call police if they are witnessing a local inside a bar sitting beside some woman who clearly isnt his wife? We have all saw this before.
I have seen lots of locals in Abu Dhabi Bars drinking alcohol, I never once felt ''offended'' or felt the need to call the police(just silently thought..hypocrite)...just wondering what might happen If we did, He wouldnt have a liecence to drink and also I would assume he is breaking Sharia law.
He'd probably be the guy answering the phone!
Old Mar 15th 2010, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

mikeleavingoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Roadking
He'd probably be the guy answering the phone!
haha gold!
Old Mar 15th 2010, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

mikeleavingoz is an unknown quantity at this point

one thing i have learnt, no matter how comfortable you feel living here, clubbing, drinking, if the sh*t were to go down, and the finger is pointed at you, and you are an expat, bad luck. we walk a fine line, but sometimes forget it.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 10:32 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

they really are trying to commit pr suicide these days

Dubai kiss row shows that the emirate can no longer have its cake and eat it
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...nd-eat-it.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_498980.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...sing-case.html
"The Daily Telegraph understands that the prosecution service rang her three times to clear up the discrepancy, but on each occasion her telephone was either disconnected or not answered.

"The public prosecutor wanted to complete their investigation," Mr Hosany said. "They wanted her to bring her children to be questioned but she did not answer. We are using this as part of our defence.""
Old Mar 16th 2010, 7:40 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
they really are trying to commit pr suicide these days

Dubai kiss row shows that the emirate can no longer have its cake and eat it
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...nd-eat-it.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_498980.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...sing-case.html
"The Daily Telegraph understands that the prosecution service rang her three times to clear up the discrepancy, but on each occasion her telephone was either disconnected or not answered.
"The public prosecutor wanted to complete their investigation," Mr Hosany said. "They wanted her to bring her children to be questioned but she did not answer. We are using this as part of our defence.""

Primitive. Just bloody primitive.

-
Old Mar 16th 2010, 7:56 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
[/SIZE]

Primitive. Just bloody primitive.

-
so they didn't take her address then? Seriously credible audit trails going on!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
so they didn't take her address then? Seriously credible audit trails going on!
Seriously , do we actually expect anything more? Sometimes you have just got to put your hands up and say "That's the way it is and that's the way it's always gonna be"

This is how third world regimes work. Criminal and unjust but sadly a major part of life here in this region.

These people will never ever change .
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:45 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Seriously , do we actually expect anything more? Sometimes you have just got to put your hands up and say "That's the way it is and that's the way it's always gonna be"

This is how third world regimes work. Criminal and unjust but sadly a major part of life here in this region.

These people will never ever change .
Is it really that much better back home? My 18-year old son playing football with his mates at lunchtime yesterday, one kid goes down screaming in agony--they thought he was taking the piss at first, only to discover his kneecap at the back and not the front. After numerous 999 calls--"Is he breathing? Yes? OK, we're on our way"--took 1 full hour for the amublance to arrive, but only with the driver, so my son and his friends had to help lift the kid onto the stretcher. And last weekend son's friend got jumped by some locals, luckily the ground broke his fall and his nose; he's now on bail, can't go to the planned 18th birthday piss-up in Edinburgh because hte reporting officer is on holiday and nothing can be done till she returns next week.

OK, minor incidents, but would you feel safer on the piss in Dubai / AD or in Leeds, Bradford, Glasgow, London etc etc?

"These people will never change." Trouble is its changing in the UK, and all for the worse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.