Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Weekends in the UAE

View Poll Results: Which weekend do you have? Are you happy with it?
Thursday afternoon and Friday - I'm happy with this!
0%
Friday and Saturday - I'm happy with this!
50.00%
Saturday and Sunday - I'm happy with this!
0%
Thursday afternoon and Friday - I want to change it!
21.43%
Friday and Saturday - I want to change it!
7.14%
Saturday and Sunday - I want to change it!
0%
None of the above
21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Weekends in the UAE

Old Oct 1st 2005, 6:58 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Weekends in the UAE

Hello,

I'm curious to find out what is the split of weekends that people have here in the UAE. The 1/2 day Thurs and Friday vs. Friday and Saturday or even the much fabled Sat / Sun (though I believe this to be an urban legend).

Interested to know more and also what everone's preference is.

Hope the poll makes sense.

Cheers,

Auto
Old Oct 1st 2005, 8:20 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weekends in the UAE

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Hello,

I'm curious to find out what is the split of weekends that people have here in the UAE. The 1/2 day Thurs and Friday vs. Friday and Saturday or even the much fabled Sat / Sun (though I believe this to be an urban legend).

Interested to know more and also what everone's preference is.

Hope the poll makes sense.

Cheers,

Auto
You might want to add

'Friday and friday alone' as i know of plenty of people who get only this.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 9:31 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Well for me it's all day Thursday and Friday.

Incidentally I heard from a guy in Bahrain that they are changing to Friday/Saturday in the New Year. I don't believe that the UAE will take this on because Saturday is Holy Day for the Jews and surely (or so goes the religious thought) if the Arabs took Saturday off it would mean they were recognising the Jewish faith!
Old Oct 1st 2005, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an 'all day thursday and friday' also.....
happy with that.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 9:43 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelvynd
I'm an 'all day thursday and friday' also.....
happy with that.
Friday Saturday works for me.
During the cooler months, there are lots of events happening on Saturdays such as the Breezer beach volleyball tournaments etc etc.

Fri/Sat also means a day to recover after Wax'y on a Fri !
Old Oct 1st 2005, 10:38 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC
if the Arabs took Saturday off it would mean they were recognising the Jewish faith!

but arabs (muslims) do recognise the jewish faith, they are "people of the book" along with christians.
they just dont like them or the fact that the state of israel exists!!!
Old Oct 1st 2005, 10:47 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

I would want saturday, Sunday, monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday and Friday!

wouldn't that be awesome?
Old Oct 1st 2005, 10:47 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
but arabs (muslims) do recognise the jewish faith, they are "people of the book" along with christians.
they just dont like them or the fact that the state of israel exists!!!
And correct me if im wrong....but I believe islam accepts the Jewish and Christian faiths, the difference that causes conflict between religion is their belief that Mohammad (PBUH) was the final prophet.

There have been over 13,000 wars (according to google). And over 90% have been caused by religious difference or lack of tolerance.

Personally I think that people should be able to worship whatever god they wish in their own home or mind, but not push or force those ideals onto anyone.

Last edited by Jammy_Dodgers; Oct 1st 2005 at 10:57 am.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 11:12 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
And correct me if im wrong....but I believe islam accepts the Jewish and Christian faiths, the difference that causes conflict between religion is their belief that Mohammad (PBUH) was the final prophet.

There have been over 13,000 wars (according to google). And over 90% have been caused by religious difference or lack of tolerance.

Personally I think that people should be able to worship whatever god they wish in their own home or mind, but not push or force those ideals onto anyone.
I heard a really interesting argument the other night about the relationship between jew's and muslims.

What it boiled down to is that 'most' Muslims have no hatred towards Jews or Judaism at all. As noted above, Islam accepts this faith and Christianity as legitimate, albeit with different arguments such as gods/prophets.

What does very much so infuriate Islamists are Israeli's (as in citizens), who they see as modern day crusaders. This is the very reason why a Jew can visit UAE without a problem, however anyone who has visited Israel or is Israeli by citizenship is not accepted due to their non-acceptance of the existence of an Israeli state, due to their believe that the land is occupied illegally and belongs to the palestinians.

What I'm getting at is that from both Jew's and Muslims in this discussion it was agreed that there is no idealistic conflict between 'Jew's and Muslims', it is between 'Israeli's and Palestinians', which, by the nature of the conflict being viewed as 'the west vs. palestinians', most Islamic countries take interest in the conflict which they see people of their faith fighting against a much larger and stronger party. If there was a deep bred hatred for all Jew's I believe you'd see many more synagogue's and/or Jewish icons around the world being the target of terrorist actions, which is not the case.

I'm not saying I believe this to be 100% true, but it did give a very interesting spin on the relationship between Jew's and Muslims.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 1:02 pm
Princess

Jamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud ofJamila has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Hello,
.....or even the much fabled Sat / Sun (though I believe this to be an urban legend).

Not a urban legend. Have friends with Saturday/Sunday weekend. Impossible for a group of people to meet up at the weekend since it's not on the same days....
Old Oct 1st 2005, 3:10 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

And correct me if im wrong....but I believe islam accepts the Jewish and Christian faiths
Yes, absolutely. The Qu'ran commands Muslims to protect churches and synagogues because they contain believers, and Muslims revere Jesus and await the Second Coming.

The Qu'ran forbids forcing Islam onto anyone because "there is no compulsion (or coercion) in the religion".

I'm not religious, but I have to say, the more I find out about Islam, the more it seems to make a lot more sense than Christianity!
Old Oct 1st 2005, 5:22 pm
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR
Yes, absolutely. The Qu'ran commands Muslims to protect churches and synagogues because they contain believers, and Muslims revere Jesus and await the Second Coming.

The Qu'ran forbids forcing Islam onto anyone because "there is no compulsion (or coercion) in the religion".

I'm not religious, but I have to say, the more I find out about Islam, the more it seems to make a lot more sense than Christianity!

When we were studying about christanity at school, the teacher told us about the belief of Christain and that is "The Crucification of Jesus" and according to Christainity Jesus is the son of God.

I remember raising my hand and asking the teacher as How can any only think like that? If they Believe He is the son of God.

I would not even let anyone touch my little brother with his finger!

This is what Holy Qu'ran says:

"That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah";- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not:-4:157
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Trapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: Weekends in the UAE

Yes you are right. They do recognise the Jewish and Christian faith.

agree with your last comment there JD