Reload this Page >

Weekends and the SA law

Weekends and the SA law

Old Nov 21st 2008, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

di_hb is on a distinguished road
Default Weekends and the SA law

Hi all
Does a labour law state that if a person takes a day off either side of a weekend, they will loose 6 days pay? Havent heard about this before!
Thanks
Old Nov 21st 2008, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Weekends and the SA law

whoops, last message was related to Saudi Arabia labour law.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 1:08 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

ouch! if that's true, that's a bit rough!

the only think i know about SA Labour Law is that the contract written in arabic is the one that's binding and that the english interpretation that's offered is not necessarily 1:1 translation and is not legally binding...

please post if you find out the answer!

good luck

still.unsure
Old Nov 21st 2008, 1:55 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

As I understood the law, it'd be four days, not six.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 4:17 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by di_hb
whoops, last message was related to Saudi Arabia labour law.
..and here I was think of South Australia !
Old Nov 21st 2008, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Hi all
I have obtained more information. Seems that the person is taking a day off before the weekend, so the person will loose two days pay plus an extra two days for each weekend day.....isnt that illegal? Is that a Saudi rule?
Old Nov 21st 2008, 5:09 pm
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

I could be wrong, but this just sounds like some internal company contrivance to make employees take vacation in chunks.

I can't see a law punishing a person financially like this.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly63
I could be wrong, but this just sounds like some internal company contrivance to make employees take vacation in chunks.

I can't see a law punishing a person financially like this.
No such law. It relates to your annual leave entitlement.

If your contract specifies "Business Days" then taking 6 weeks off would use up an allowance of 30 days (6 weeks x 5 days per week). If it specifies "Calendar Days" then taking 6 weeks off would use up an allowance of 42 days.

In the former case, taking a Wednesday and a Saturday off (Thur and Fri being the formal weekend) would mean you would lose TWO days from your leave allowance.

In the latter case, you would be deducted FOUR days (as weekends are regarded as part of your leave entitlement).

As a separate point, some employers simply don't permit 'odd days' to be taken (a contract will state "Leave periods must be for a minimum of ONE week" or something like that). In these cases, if you went ahead and took the Wed and Sat, I suppose they might deduct pay - unusual though, and not something I've heard mentioned before.