Weekend visit to Abu Dhabi - advice on hotels

Weekend visit to Abu Dhabi - advice on hotels

Old Dec 17th 2008, 10:09 am
SY4
Just Joined

SY4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Weekend visit to Abu Dhabi - advice on hotels

Good afternoon,

I have a job offer in Abu Dhabi commencing Feb 09 - slightly nervous to say the least with what I have read on the forum re: redundancies etc. However, my position in UK is far from secure so thinking of taking a leap of faith

I am thinking of coming over for a long weekend to have a look around before taking said leap - my query is should I book hotel accommodation in UK as a package or is it best to find a hotel on arrival or even book direct independently.

Any advice, recommendations appreciated.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all
Default Re: Weekend visit to Abu Dhabi - advice on hotels

book it all together as hotels can be a total mare here xxxgood luck
Old Dec 17th 2008, 10:33 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SY4
Good afternoon,

I have a job offer in Abu Dhabi commencing Feb 09 - slightly nervous to say the least with what I have read on the forum re: redundancies etc. However, my position in UK is far from secure so thinking of taking a leap of faith

I am thinking of coming over for a long weekend to have a look around before taking said leap - my query is should I book hotel accommodation in UK as a package or is it best to find a hotel on arrival or even book direct independently.

or get your perhaps future employer to arrange (and pay) for it all...
Old Dec 17th 2008, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SY4
Good afternoon,

I think you´ll find that most things are "business as usual" in Abu Dhabi...There´s money in the bank and they intend to spend a fair bit of it (approx $500bn) on a number of projects the coming decade.

The rents are shocking though...and no biggish housing projects to be finished before 2010
Old Dec 18th 2008, 3:25 pm
SY4
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bimcnorth
I think you´ll find that most things are "business as usual" in Abu Dhabi...There´s money in the bank and they intend to spend a fair bit of it (approx $500bn) on a number of projects the coming decade.

The rents are shocking though...and no biggish housing projects to be finished before 2010
Thanks for the feedback.

Re: rents, what about shared accommodation with other western expats ? Is there a market for it and how much might I pay (wife and kids won't be joining me until September at the earliest due to schooling)
Old Dec 19th 2008, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at Golden Sands.
Their prices seem to be OK for AD
Old Dec 19th 2008, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

well really you are not allowed to share accommodation, but it does happen as you are subletting, and thats is not allowed by law. they have just said that they would not enforce the law, at the moment, in abu dhabi about sharing, but who knows if and when they will decided to abide by the law again.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 8:05 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SY4
Thanks for the feedback.

Re: rents, what about shared accommodation with other western expats ? Is there a market for it and how much might I pay (wife and kids won't be joining me until September at the earliest due to schooling)
Best option for you is studio/one bed apartment in say Platinum Apartments or Al Maha.You can book in month to month which gives you the chance to come to know the city in regard to workplace,possible nursery/school place,
preferred choice of environment i.e busy cosmopolitan on your doorstep and no where to park or a desert to park in and nothing else for miles.....
Take your time,weigh up if its for you and how its going to enhance your life/pension fund before you completely uproot.AD is a great place as long as the numbers are right.
Good luck
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 3:40 pm
SY4
Just Joined

Thanks Eva. Do you know the rental rates for the places you suggest ?
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 3:43 pm
SY4
Just Joined

Also are there any Universities in AD ? (I know I should research this for myself - but why not ask the experts!)
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yes but more in doobye