British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Weekend days counted in annual leave (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/weekend-days-counted-annual-leave-894665/)

tarkadoc Mar 29th 2017 8:33 pm

Weekend days counted in annual leave

Hi,

my offer seems to count weekend days against my leave entitlement (30 days). The recruiter says all employees have the same & can't be changed. Its a significant difference if weekends aren't counted- Does that sound right?

from the contract:
'number of days leave will be calculated as continuous calendar days form the first scheduled workday to the last calendar day.'

weasel decentral Mar 30th 2017 2:50 am

Re: Weekend days counted in annual leave

Pretty normal in my experience to count the weekends.

In construction most guys have this, you wind up leaving on a Thursday night, but declaring the leave period from Saturday (as Friday is off) in order to minimize the leave used.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 30th 2017 5:24 am

**** that.

weasel decentral Mar 30th 2017 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12216871)
**** that.

Yeah true but mostly the offers were for 45 days leave (including weekends) so it was still marginally ahead of 30 days without weekends.

I thought it was fairly prevalent with most of the ME contractors?

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 30th 2017 5:38 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12216873)
Yeah true but mostly the offers were for 45 days leave (including weekends) so it was still marginally ahead of 30 days without weekends.

I thought it was fairly prevalent with most of the ME contractors?

That's fair enough.

Not sure to be honest. Most of my work has been with consultancies, although with the contractors I did deal with I don't remember seeing it much. But perhaps like schooling, house, utilities etc provided it may have died out / changed.

mission Mar 30th 2017 6:40 am

that's harsh.....and from what i know it definitely isn't the 'norm'....my company is in the freezone and all our employees holiday entitlement is 30 days excluding weekends - that's JAFZA's rule, as far as we know.

mission Mar 30th 2017 6:42 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12216908)
that's harsh.....and from what i know it definitely isn't the 'norm'....my company is in the freezone and all our employees holiday entitlement is 30 days excluding weekends - that's JAFZA's rule, as far as we know.

apologies i stand corrected - just been told the 30 days DOES include weekends. Although for me personally my UK employment contract overrides the JAFZA one and so for me weekends are not included.

carcajou Mar 30th 2017 8:37 am

It does include weekends though organisations have the discretion, as mine did, to not count weekends in leave calculations as an added benefit to employees.

sicklyman Mar 30th 2017 9:00 am

yep standard stuff. Based on US military policies, I heard.

scot47 Mar 30th 2017 9:03 am

Was standard when I worked for Saudi Arabian Airlines. Not much you can do about it. What do you propose ? Raising it with the union ? Good luck on that one !

tarkadoc Mar 30th 2017 9:36 am

thanks all,
fair enough- doesn't sound like I'll have much joy fighting that one

nottmbantam Mar 30th 2017 1:48 pm

Yeah, confirmed here for KSA, 30 calendar days , not working days.

As Weasel points out, you try to manipulate as best you can.

Johnnyboy11 Mar 30th 2017 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by sicklyman (Post 12217025)
yep standard stuff. Based on US military policies, I heard.

I heard it was based on the Khafala system. You hadn't served your master whilst on leave, so hadn't earned your weekend off.

You can get round it by taking 5 days off at a time, Sunday to Thursday, so technically you are back in service on Friday.

9x5 days = 45 days leave, plus the two Eids, that's potentially 11 trips out of Qatar for me :eek:

IKnowNothing Apr 1st 2017 4:58 am

That's how Emirates used to calculate leave too, dunno whether they still do.

Taz786 Apr 2nd 2017 6:21 am

This is the same case in my new company. They offer 35 calendar days holidays. However, if you take weekly holidays, on the system its calculated 5 days and therefore it equates to 7 weeks.

I personally prefer shorter holidays so don't mind it.