British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Wednesday Lunchtime Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/wednesday-lunchtime-thread-917461/)

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 19th 2018 8:01 am

Wednesday Lunchtime Thread

It's Wednesday, it's lunchtime and I'm hungover.

How's everyone else doing?

Anything exciting going on?

I'm flying to the UK tomorrow night, working in the big smoke next week and looking forward to it. Got a few days with Mummy first, meet my buddies brand new baby and visit a couple of wedding venues whilst I'm at it. All very pleasant and frightfully grown up.

Just got to survive today.

Millhouse Sep 19th 2018 9:45 am

Re: Wednesday Lunchtime Thread

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12564971)
It's Wednesday, it's lunchtime and I'm hungover.

How's everyone else doing?

Anything exciting going on?

I'm flying to the UK tomorrow night, working in the big smoke next week and looking forward to it. Got a few days with Mummy first, meet my buddies brand new baby and visit a couple of wedding venues whilst I'm at it. All very pleasant and frightfully grown up.

Just got to survive today.

I have the delights of the Bahrain day-trip - up at 6am, back at 8pm. lovely.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 19th 2018 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12565000)
I have the delights of the Bahrain day-trip - up at 6am, back at 8pm. lovely.

The only thing about those trips that annoys me is the dicking about for minuscule work. We did Qatar regularly a few years ago. Would be all that travel for two meetings.

Millhouse Sep 19th 2018 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12565003)
The only thing about those trips that annoys me is the dicking about for minuscule work. We did Qatar regularly a few years ago. Would be all that travel for two meetings.

im going only for lunch

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 19th 2018 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12565009)
im going only for lunch

Surely you can say no?

weasel decentral Sep 19th 2018 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12565009)

im going only for lunch

I'm only going for a coffee and a scone..so there.

Reply to my PM also I need to know what sort of flavoured lube you prefer

Millhouse Sep 19th 2018 10:25 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12565016)
I'm only going for a coffee and a scone..so there.

Reply to my PM also I need to know what sort of flavoured lube you prefer

oh. Forgot about the PM.

A scone would be great 👍

DXBtoDOH Sep 19th 2018 10:46 am

What's your wedding budget, Scamp?

How much longer do you reckon you and your Missus will stay in the UAE?

I want to get an Audi A4 Avant when I move home. Do you approve?

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 19th 2018 10:54 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12565028)
What's your wedding budget, Scamp?

How much longer do you reckon you and your Missus will stay in the UAE?

I want to get an Audi A4 Avant when I move home. Do you approve?

For what I (we) want we'll probably spend about 30k. I'm sort of comfortable with that, sort of disgusted. Not quite decided yet...however I think the hardest part about parting with that cash is the atrocious quality of people I've been dealing with at various venues. Awful.

Good few years still. She's flying in her career, I'm making the progress I want as well and we're enjoying it. If we decided to want kids, that might change things? Might not? Depends I guess.

A4 Avant - I think you'll probably end up wanting the A6 version. A4s like 3 Series and C-Class cars are generally pretty cramped I think. Lovely stuff though, good cars I would expect.

When you going? End of the year? London?

DXBtoDOH Sep 19th 2018 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12565036)
For what I (we) want we'll probably spend about 30k. I'm sort of comfortable with that, sort of disgusted. Not quite decided yet...however I think the hardest part about parting with that cash is the atrocious quality of people I've been dealing with at various venues. Awful.

Good few years still. She's flying in her career, I'm making the progress I want as well and we're enjoying it. If we decided to want kids, that might change things? Might not? Depends I guess.

A4 Avant - I think you'll probably end up wanting the A6 version. A4s like 3 Series and C-Class cars are generally pretty cramped I think. Lovely stuff though, good cars I would expect.

When you going? End of the year? London?

So for roughly the same amount you get a bling bling wedding and I get an Audi. At least mine will last longer than a day or two ;)

I've been in A4s before and it's fine for me. A6 is lovely but a bit more (and more money) than I'd want to spend. It's really to have room for the bicycle and the dog I'm going to get, while still speeding along in smart German engineering.

As for London, hell no. Did that, it was fun, but no desire to return. I still have my flat there but it's worth more to rent it out than to live there. I'd still need to go into the London offices regularly but I'll be based in Cambridge. I grew up outside Cambridge and went to school and university there and swore I'd never return. And now look what's happening. But am pleased.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 19th 2018 11:53 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12565048)
So for roughly the same amount you get a bling bling wedding and I get an Audi. At least mine will last longer than a day or two ;)

I've been in A4s before and it's fine for me. A6 is lovely but a bit more (and more money) than I'd want to spend. It's really to have room for the bicycle and the dog I'm going to get, while still speeding along in smart German engineering.

As for London, hell no. Did that, it was fun, but no desire to return. I still have my flat there but it's worth more to rent it out than to live there. I'd still need to go into the London offices regularly but I'll be based in Cambridge. I grew up outside Cambridge and went to school and university there and swore I'd never return. And now look what's happening. But am pleased.

I've heard almost every negative comment about the budget we've set but comparing it to a car is new so you get points for that.

A4 is fine in reality, it's just when you start thinking of maybe wanting to get 4 adults in or something. Rare maybe? Maybe not, just think the space is vastly improved in the A6....but if you don't need it then it's not worth the money.

I agree, **** London and all the dickheads who live and work there. Special sort of helmets those Londoners.

jam25mack Sep 19th 2018 1:00 pm

30K (GBP I'm assuming) for a wedding? :eek: That's the equivalent to taking nearly 320 folk to a bubbly brunch (450 AED) here in Dubai.

I know I'm not in that position (although I am now officially, 'in a relationship') and that could change but I can't ever see me agreeing to that........ Weddings are good yeah but are they 30K good? It seems like expensive weddings are 'the norm' these days. 30K is a decent deposit on a house. I'd be more inclined to do a destination wedding somewhere cheap and exotic. If friends and family can make it then great, if not...... sorry! Big ass BBQ and a free bar on the beach. Local beers, cocktails and erb. Beach attire. Thankfully my family is tiny!

Anyway, its your cash to do with as you please and I hope you have a beltingly good time.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 19th 2018 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12565121)
30K (GBP I'm assuming) for a wedding? :eek: That's the equivalent to taking nearly 320 folk to a bubbly brunch (450 AED) here in Dubai.

I know I'm not in that position (although I am now officially, 'in a relationship') and that could change but I can't ever see me agreeing to that........ Weddings are good yeah but are they 30K good? It seems like expensive weddings are 'the norm' these days. 30K is a decent deposit on a house. I'd be more inclined to do a destination wedding somewhere cheap and exotic. If friends and family can make it then great, if not...... sorry! Big ass BBQ and a free bar on the beach. Local beers, cocktails and erb. Beach attire. Thankfully my family is tiny!

Anyway, its your cash to do with as you please and I hope you have a beltingly good time.

Is what it is mate. You can't say the word 'wedding' anywhere without being charged for it.

The money will be spent on ensuring people have a good time and are with us for a couple of nights rather than silly things like £1500 cakes and whatnot.

We'll see, if we can get the cost down we will, for sure....but at the moment that's what what we want sort of looks like on paper budget.

DXBtoDOH Sep 20th 2018 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12565149)
Is what it is mate. You can't say the word 'wedding' anywhere without being charged for it.

The money will be spent on ensuring people have a good time and are with us for a couple of nights rather than silly things like £1500 cakes and whatnot.

We'll see, if we can get the cost down we will, for sure....but at the moment that's what what we want sort of looks like on paper budget.

I remember reading an article by someone who went undercover to these events venue. She approached them with a wedding to plan and then later approached the same venues but for a regular party event. Same numbers of guests. As soon as wedding was mentioned, fees shot up by a goodly amount.

Are you having a church wedding? My sister did the traditional wedding, church and marquee in the garden. It cost around £12k but this was 14 years ago. It was lovely. But for me, if it ever happened, it'd just be the register office followed with dinner at a gastro pub for a small crowd (and a £30k honeymoon).

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 20th 2018 7:42 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12565446)
I remember reading an article by someone who went undercover to these events venue. She approached them with a wedding to plan and then later approached the same venues but for a regular party event. Same numbers of guests. As soon as wedding was mentioned, fees shot up by a goodly amount.

Are you having a church wedding? My sister did the traditional wedding, church and marquee in the garden. It cost around £12k but this was 14 years ago. It was lovely. But for me, if it ever happened, it'd just be the register office followed with dinner at a gastro pub for a small crowd (and a £30k honeymoon).

It's shameful a lot of it.

No church, not interested. What we're hoping to do is have family and close friends together on afternoon/ evening 1. Dinner, drinks, lovely. All stay at the same place. Day 2 all wake up together, chill, get ready, more people arrive, get married, wedding breakfast, party, the same group from day 1 stay the night again in the same place on night 2. Day 3 all wake up together, brekkie, chill, leave.

Unfortunately it's the day 1 bit that's adding big costs. Dinner and rooms and use of a place for 32 people is somehow coming out at a range of prices from a few grand to the entire cost of a wedding again (told them where to go).

We'll keep looking and see. I'm getting to the point where as much as I want that night before bit, I'm increasingly happy to sack it off and save a fortune. I'm also increasingly happy to skim some people from the list....I mean, I don't have that many friends or family anyway but there's a few I kind of feel are there for sake of it. Could trim a few and that opens up more venues. The ones I'd most like to trim are a couple of the husbands of her closest friends, total dickheads.