British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   and we thought we were safe in an apartment!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/we-thought-we-were-safe-apartment-475214/)

Blue Cat Aug 19th 2007 12:50 pm

and we thought we were safe in an apartment!!!

Today I have received notification from the Management Company Deyaar who manage our building on behalf of the Landlord. The building has been sold to a new owner and he hasn't decided whether he wants continue using Deyaar or not. So today I have been given a bill for 15,603 Dhs, which is the rent paid up until the 8th of November - when the new landlord takes over. Would you be worried???

surely they still have to give us a year's lease??

Paidtoplease Aug 19th 2007 12:54 pm

Re: and we thought we were safe in an apartment!!!

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5208478)
Today I have received notification from the Management Company Deyaar who manage our building on behalf of the Landlord. The building has been sold to a new owner and he hasn't decided whether he wants continue using Deyaar or not. So today I have been given a bill for 15,603 Dhs, which is the rent paid up until the 8th of November - when the new landlord takes over. Would you be worried???

surely they still have to give us a year's lease??

Bl##dy Hell BC..How much more Cr#p can you take ???

Blue Cat Aug 19th 2007 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease (Post 5208489)
Bl##dy Hell BC..How much more Cr#p can you take ???

I am not sure if I should be worried or not? I just spoke to Deyaar and they said that they are confident that they will continue as the Management company but won't find out until October. So they can't take a full years money from us. And I can't see the new landlord wanting us out? he can't evict us anyway and he can't put up the rent either.

Paidtoplease Aug 19th 2007 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5208494)
I am not sure if I should be worried or not? I just spoke to Deyaar and they said that they are confident that they will continue as the Management company but won't find out until October. So they can't take a full years money from us. And I can't see the new landlord wanting us out? he can't evict us anyway and he can't put up the rent either.

Okay that sound a bit better :D

Blue Cat Aug 19th 2007 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease (Post 5208496)
Okay that sound a bit better :D

I am still worried though!!!

beebee Aug 19th 2007 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5208508)
I am still worried though!!!

he is not an end user is he?

The Dean Aug 19th 2007 1:18 pm

Hi BC,

Sorry I don't quite follow - what EXACTLY is the 15k bill FOR? Surely you had already paid the rent in advance? What date was your rental contract due to end?

Yours truly,

Disgusted, Tunbridge Wells.

Blue Cat Aug 19th 2007 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by beebee (Post 5208517)
he is not an end user is he?

what's an end user???

the money is for the period of 3rd September til 8 November - which must be when the new landlord is taking over??

beebee Aug 19th 2007 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5208541)
what's an end user???

the money is for the period of 3rd September til 8 November - which must be when the new landlord is taking over??

A buyer who is buying a property to live in

Blue Cat Aug 19th 2007 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by beebee (Post 5208548)
A buyer who is buying a property to live in

I don't think he will be able to live in 96 apartments at the same time!! so no he aint an end user :)

beebee Aug 19th 2007 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5208550)
I don't think he will be able to live in 96 apartments at the same time!! so no he aint an end user :)

Oh right.. he has bought the building then..I would imagine you are ok, even if the new owner doesn't renew with the property management company. The new owner may want to manage it himself.

IndieG Aug 19th 2007 1:32 pm

It makes no difference if your LL changes..... He can neither evict you nor increase the rents:)

The Dean Aug 19th 2007 1:32 pm

So 3 September is your ORIGINAL rental end date?

Ah I see........ I'm actually quite switched on when I get all the information. Mind you I have no idea what to DO with the information, but what the hell........??

Now think carefully - if you "renew" your lease on 3 Sep, but only till 8 Nov, does that get the new landlord round the 'can't put the rent up this year' restriction? Just a thought - I don't know the answer myself.

What about people whose contracts don't end until after 8 Nov? I assume there are some? Their contracts must surely remain valid?

Tricky one........... good luck.

Blimey you are going through it right now....... whatever the outcomes of all that is on your plate right now, I have just joined your fan club.

Blue Cat Aug 19th 2007 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 5208564)
So 3 September is your ORIGINAL rental end date?

Ah I see........ I'm actually quite switched on when I get all the information. Mind you I have no idea what to DO with the information, but what the hell........??

Now think carefully - if you "renew" your lease on 3 Sep, but only till 8 Nov, does that get the new landlord round the 'can't put the rent up this year' restriction? Just a thought - I don't know the answer myself.

What about people whose contracts don't end until after 8 Nov? I assume there are some? Their contracts must surely remain valid?

Tricky one........... good luck.

Blimey you are going through it right now....... whatever the outcomes of all that is on your plate right now, I have just joined your fan club.

put it this way Dean I am trying very hard to hold everything together at the minute. What with the country club and all my efforts being concentrated there, I have got a luncheon for a 100 on Sunday with Dave Crane and the table plan is doing my head in. I have got to find all the raffle prizes etc, inbetween running a home and looking after a three year old. On top of that I have only just started to be mobile since that fall last week!!!

it says on this letter that there will be no increase in rent as we moved in 2006. I think I am going to have to go down to the Deyaar office and find out what it going on. As this is a new building I am pretty sure that everyone's lease runs out on the 3rd of September so we are all in the same boat. I think!!!! We are one of the few 'individuals' who hold a lease as the majority of the apartments are leased by GEMS and the Meridien Group.

The Dean Aug 19th 2007 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5208572)
put it this way Dean I am trying very hard to hold everything together at the minute. What with the country club and all my efforts being concentrated there, I have got a luncheon for a 100 on Sunday with Dave Crane and the table plan is doing my head in. I have got to find all the raffle prizes etc, inbetween running a home and looking after a three year old. On top of that I have only just started to be mobile since that fall last week!!!

it says on this letter that there will be no increase in rent as we moved in 2006. I think I am going to have to go down to the Deyaar office and find out what it going on. As this is a new building I am pretty sure that everyone's lease runs out on the 3rd of September so we are all in the same boat. I think!!!! We are one of the few 'individuals' who hold a lease as the majority of the apartments are leased by GEMS and the Meridien Group.

WHAT fall last week???

I have been in Muscat, then travelling over here, so I must have missed that news. Sorry to hear it.

And even worse - YOU HAVE A THREE-YEAR OLD!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!! I had a couple of those once but they got bigger. Yours may do so too, so all will be well.