Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

On Way but need your help!!!

On Way but need your help!!!

Old Oct 13th 2008, 3:53 pm

Guest 3456 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile On Way but need your help!!!

Hey!! I’m about to move to Dubai as, like most, I have had a job offer out there.

I’m 30, male and single and I’m going to be working in either the Mall of the Emirates or about 5mins from there by some warehouses. I was hoping someone out there could give me an insight into where would be best to live. I am not looking to slum it out but want to have an apartment half decent and with nice views and a balcony, oh and at least one bedroom! My medical and pension is paid for (which I am assuming is the norm) and my salary is around AED20k/month. No housing allowance though!

Is it possible to live comfortably in Dubai with that salary, or will I be scraping the barrel?? Where would be nice to live with a good expat community and not too far away from the area where I would be working? A decent nightlife in the area would be nice as well. Look forward to your comments….
Old Oct 13th 2008, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

highlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to all
Default Re: On Way but need your help!!!

I think you may struggle , suggest you look at http://www4.dubizzle.com/
Old Oct 13th 2008, 4:03 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

There's plenty of new high-end apartments around the mall in an area called Old Town (not really *old*, but built to resemble something from ye olde Arabia). However, rents start at 140K for a one bedroom.

20K a month is decent to live on in Dubai, and how much you save is dependent on how much you spend on rent. If you're willing to share a flat or villa, you can estimate spending perhaps 7K a month for a room in Al Barsha, Jumeira or the Marina.

Originally Posted by SpunkyMonkey
Hey!! I’m about to move to Dubai as, like most, I have had a job offer out there.

I’m 30, male and single and I’m going to be working in either the Mall of the Emirates or about 5mins from there by some warehouses. I was hoping someone out there could give me an insight into where would be best to live. I am not looking to slum it out but want to have an apartment half decent and with nice views and a balcony, oh and at least one bedroom! My medical and pension is paid for (which I am assuming is the norm) and my salary is around AED20k/month. No housing allowance though!

Is it possible to live comfortably in Dubai with that salary, or will I be scraping the barrel?? Where would be nice to live with a good expat community and not too far away from the area where I would be working? A decent nightlife in the area would be nice as well. Look forward to your comments….
Old Oct 13th 2008, 4:03 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

I think 20k including housing is going to be tough. Do-able but without much room for those important things in life like...a life! Seriously suggest you talk again with your future bosses.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ethos83
There's plenty of new high-end apartments around the mall in an area called Old Town (not really *old*, but built to resemble something from ye olde Arabia). However, rents start at 140K for a one bedroom.
I wasn't aware that the Old Town was anywhere near the Mall of the Emirates. In any event, you will need 12K a month for your own place.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Shadya
I wasn't aware that the Old Town was anywhere near the Mall of the Emirates. In any event, you will need 12K a month for your own place.
So do most expats share out in Dubai or live on their own? I'm getting all the more confused which surely cannot be a good sign!!

Would buying an apartment be cheaper???
Old Oct 14th 2008, 5:27 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

So do most expats share out in Dubai or live on their own? I'm getting all the more confused which surely cannot be a good sign!!

Would buying an apartment be cheaper???
20k will be a struggle I have to say. Buying! no chance on that salary
Old Oct 14th 2008, 5:52 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

thats about what I get, but they loan me the housing upfront, well 70k of it and my wife put in 50k from her company and we have a 2 bed villa - you'll need to get your contract and salary letter and get loan from the bank, but you'll be looking at about 105k for a 2 bed flat at al barsha (next to MoE), it will skint you a bit mind mate.

Have you considered getting a flatmate?
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy
thats about what I get, but they loan me the housing upfront, well 70k of it and my wife put in 50k from her company and we have a 2 bed villa - you'll need to get your contract and salary letter and get loan from the bank, but you'll be looking at about 105k for a 2 bed flat at al barsha (next to MoE), it will skint you a bit mind mate.

Have you considered getting a flatmate?
I don't mind renting out a room, but if there is only one room i would rather stay on my own. So seriously, 20k a month is not going to be enough then? Oh on top of that I will be getting approx 40k-60k annual bonus. So does that make up for the struggle??