British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Watchmen! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/watchmen-597117/)

AlmostPregnant Mar 12th 2009 2:06 pm

Watchmen!

Has anybody seen it in Dubai's cinema? Is it censored?? I really can't waste more money on chopped-off movies, last one I saw was so bad at certain point you couldn't follow the action ongoing!

Hello.Kitty Mar 12th 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Watchmen!

Originally Posted by AlmostPregnant (Post 7372012)
Has anybody seen it in Dubai's cinema? Is it censored?? I really can't waste more money on chopped-off movies, last one I saw was so bad at certain point you couldn't follow the action ongoing!

well, even uk-based Xfm is saying that it's really violent and the moral standpoint is quite difficult to swallow, sooo...

won't stop me watching it somehow tho'!

Fairydust Mar 12th 2009 3:11 pm

think i read somewhere on here its heavily censored so maybe best wait for dvd or download

Shadya Mar 12th 2009 3:39 pm

Have a butchers at Spugsy's "fillums" thread. I recall Confucius suggesting that the censorship was not too serious.

shakh your bootie Mar 12th 2009 3:40 pm

Can't wait to see the movie - read the graphic novel when I was a student. Can't see what the censorship fuss is about - compared to GTA IV it's like bambi.......

Doc Manhattan rocks....

rambar Mar 12th 2009 5:50 pm

Saw it last friday.. it is censored for nudity/sex... violence (of which there is alot), is not censored as far as I could tell...

Autonomy Mar 12th 2009 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 7372383)
Can't wait to see the movie - read the graphic novel when I was a student. Can't see what the censorship fuss is about - compared to GTA IV it's like bambi.......

Doc Manhattan rocks....

as you will remember then... it is exactly Doc Manhattan's rocks that was the problem in Dubai... a large blue naked main character is a problem in Dubai.

It's cut to bits.

Very good movie, but it was cut... I mean the movie, not Doc's Cox...

Confucius Mar 12th 2009 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 7372894)
as you will remember then... it is exactly Doc Manhattan's rocks that was the problem in Dubai... a large blue naked main character is a problem in Dubai.

It's cut to bits.

Very good movie, but it was cut... I mean the move, not Doc's Cox...

Well, those of us who are into blue cock will be greatly disappointed...

Investoman_uae Mar 13th 2009 7:38 am

My wife is waitin for that movie with the hot chick in it... sandra bullock... does anyone know when its gona come out? She loves miss congiality type movies.

Inv.

Norm_uk Mar 13th 2009 8:20 am

Very heavily censored...as usually all the gore and violence left in but anything more than a second of kissing is cut.

Didn't seem to stop the cinema from letting in loads of underage kids when I saw it though :confused:

N.

MacScot Mar 13th 2009 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 7373059)
Well, those of us who are into blue cock will be greatly disappointed...

Not to disappoint you...the artist David Martin is also into blue cocks...

http://www.exactlywhatiwant.co.uk/up...98238_main.jpg

Tillybean Mar 13th 2009 9:21 pm

I saw this today and got quite distracted by the censoring...at times, the movie really jumped and if I could have got up and left, I would have, to be honest.

I also saw International today (can you tell I was bored). It was a so-so movie, but Clive Owen was simply delicious in it.

Autonomy Mar 13th 2009 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 7374818)
Very heavily censored...as usually all the gore and violence left in but anything more than a second of kissing is cut.

Didn't seem to stop the cinema from letting in loads of underage kids when I saw it though :confused:

N.

Some guidelines for UAE censorship....

What they care about:

naked male butts (this really is the biggest problem) (was very surprised that Doc Manhattan in Watchmen was not more censored)
homosexual (male) (female is tolerated (haha) if brief) interaction (I said interaction)
merest glimpse of male genitalia
lingering shots of female genitalia or breasts (more than 5 seconds)

What They Don't Care About:

Violence
Drugs
Language
Religion (surprisingly)

Part of my job is to pre-censor movies and cut them before we submit them for ministry approval. Yes, it's a tough job looking for such scenes....