Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

WASEL - roaming and sms in US?

WASEL - roaming and sms in US?

Old May 1st 2007, 7:26 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default WASEL - roaming and sms in US?

do they both work assuming you have credit?

Seem to remember it's a lottery around the world - some places you can call but not sms and visa versa and other combinations....

anyway - are making and receicing calls and sms possible on wasel in the USA
Old May 1st 2007, 7:31 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WASEL - roaming and sms in US?

I think as long as you have a tri or quad band phone
Old May 1st 2007, 8:00 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

We looked into this when we went to the USA back in November, and IIRC you still had to set up roaming by paying Etisalat some colossal deposit... plus the call costs were ludicrous.

So we took our UK mobile instead. It worked perfectly, the calls were less than half the price they would have been with Etisalat, and we had the option to top up our credit online (which I don't think you can do with Wasel when you're abroad - they tell you to top up with as much as you think you'll need before you travel).
Old May 1st 2007, 8:04 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR
We looked into this when we went to the USA back in November, and IIRC you still had to set up roaming by paying Etisalat some colossal deposit... plus the call costs were ludicrous.

So we took our UK mobile instead. It worked perfectly, the calls were less than half the price they would have been with Etisalat, and we had the option to top up our credit online (which I don't think you can do with Wasel when you're abroad - they tell you to top up with as much as you think you'll need before you travel).
i think the deposit thing has been dropped. It's just for people to get hold of me - will have the laptop and skype will be the choice of communications in the land of the free (voip).

thanks though.
Old May 1st 2007, 8:19 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Gareth knows he and Zan were in New York in November last year and I am sure they took their phones but had problems sending SMS but not receiving. There is a list of the etisalat website but I can't seem to find it!
Old May 1st 2007, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

I can never send SMSs or make calls when I'm abroad, but always seem to be able to receive them. Really pees me off when you then get a million messages from Etisalat telling you how you can now make and recieve calls...

MM, xx
Old May 1st 2007, 8:37 am
Powered by cows

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
I can never send SMSs or make calls when I'm abroad, but always seem to be able to receive them. Really pees me off when you then get a million messages from Etisalat telling you how you can now make and recieve calls...

MM, xx
exactly my point - why the hell can i not send a bloody simple sms... grrrrr....

sometimes calling is possible but you have to use some strange black magic code thing....
Old May 1st 2007, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
exactly my point - why the hell can i not send a bloody simple sms... grrrrr....

sometimes calling is possible but you have to use some strange black magic code thing....
ahh...well sadly I don't have the code

MM, xx
Old May 1st 2007, 8:44 am
W10

Was in NYC in Jan.

Can't send SMS but can receive.

Couldn't call either but could receive calls.

There is a roaming list on the etisalat website - but its pretty useless and what is on there is rarely the case anyway.

Old May 1st 2007, 8:45 am