Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Want to meet fellow Brits in Riyadh

Want to meet fellow Brits in Riyadh

Old Oct 1st 2009, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Desert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really nice
Default Want to meet fellow Brits in Riyadh

Hi Folks.

Got back to Riyadh on Sat with my work visa

However being a single guy living alone outside a compound, the evenings are getting very lonely and boring Thinking of joining a Gym, but there is so much time I can spend in there.

Is there anyone in the same situation as me?

What is the thing with British Embassy get togethers, are they an invite only dos?

Would be great if I can get to know fellow Brits here in Riyadh in person.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 2:20 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to meet fellow Brits in Riyadh

Unfortunately the Embassy do's are virtually all invite only and you need to know someone on the inside to get this. Easy enough if you live in a compound or have work associates.

Your best bet is to find someone who lives on one of the main compounds (Arizona, Al Hamra, Izzy, Fal) and ask them if they can sign you in to any socials. Once you have been to a couple, provided you network OK, your social circle and social life should be OK.

Key 'workers' to look for are British School teachers (who nearly all live on Al Hamra, MoD staff, Embassy staff and BAE staff.

If you are sporty (particularly tennis, footy and golf) this will also help you pal up with someone.

Most people will appreciate your situation and be helpful.

Hope this helps.