British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Wake Up Call (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/wake-up-call-542491/)

Fairydust Jun 11th 2008 5:38 pm

Wake Up Call

OK situation is a very close friend of mine is having marriage dificulties (putting it mildly) and after many weeks of negotiations her husband has taken the children's passports and won't return them to allow her to leave with them. He has become abusive and today tried to attack her. Apparently there are only 4 uk lawyers here in Dubai, he is using one and the other 3 aren't available. The British Embassy will do nothing. The Company will do nothing except offer counselling as he is the employee. So basically she is stuck here with no means of escape - its so wrong. I knew things here were male biased but this is completely ridiculous. Does anyone based in AD know of any lawyers that may be able to give some advice.

Grace O Malley Jun 11th 2008 6:38 pm

Re: Wake Up Call

[QUOTE=Fairydust;6457471]OK situation is a very close friend of mine is having marriage dificulties (putting it mildly) and after many weeks of negotiations her husband has taken the children's passports and won't return them to allow her to leave with them. He has become abusive and today tried to attack her. Apparently there are only 4 uk lawyers here in Dubai, he is using one and the other 3 aren't available. The British Embassy will do nothing. The Company will do nothing except offer counselling as he is the employee. So basically she is stuck here with no means of escape - its so wrong. I knew things here were male biased but this is completely ridiculous. Does anyone based in AD know of any lawyers that may be able to give some advice.[/QUOTE

That's sad, I just don't get why things have to get nasty and why parents use their children as weapons, I hope it works out

Clyde & CO, Simmons and Simmons are both very good

AC

Madam Medusa Jun 11th 2008 6:47 pm

[quote=annacarna;6457624]

Originally Posted by Fairydust (Post 6457471)
OK situation is a very close friend of mine is having marriage dificulties (putting it mildly) and after many weeks of negotiations her husband has taken the children's passports and won't return them to allow her to leave with them. He has become abusive and today tried to attack her. Apparently there are only 4 uk lawyers here in Dubai, he is using one and the other 3 aren't available. The British Embassy will do nothing. The Company will do nothing except offer counselling as he is the employee. So basically she is stuck here with no means of escape - its so wrong. I knew things here were male biased but this is completely ridiculous. Does anyone based in AD know of any lawyers that may be able to give some advice.[/QUOTE

That's sad, I just don't get why things have to get nasty and why parents use their children as weapons, I hope it works out

Clyde & CO, Simmons and Simmons are both very good

AC

simmons and simmons do divorce stuff, thought they only covered corporate...???

MM, xx

The Dean Jun 11th 2008 6:47 pm

OK situation is a very close friend of mine is having marriage dificulties (putting it mildly) and after many weeks of negotiations her husband has taken the children's passports and won't return them to allow her to leave with them. He has become abusive and today tried to attack her. Apparently there are only 4 uk lawyers here in Dubai, he is using one and the other 3 aren't available. The British Embassy will do nothing. The Company will do nothing except offer counselling as he is the employee. So basically she is stuck here with no means of escape - its so wrong. I knew things here were male biased but this is completely ridiculous. Does anyone based in AD know of any lawyers that may be able to give some advice.

PM on its way.......

Fairydust Jun 11th 2008 6:49 pm

Thanks everyone much appreciated :)

Grace O Malley Jun 11th 2008 6:53 pm

[QUOTE=Madam Medusa;6457647]

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 6457624)
simmons and simmons do divorce stuff, thought they only covered corporate...???

MM, xx

not sure i think they may have started a family law section as so many divorces here now , heartbreak city don't ya know, :)

If they dont they will give a recommendation

Shame though i hate hearing these stories, depressing!

The Dean Jun 11th 2008 6:57 pm

"The British Embassy will do nothing"

I'm hearing this far too often in far too many circumstances these last few years.

Can anyone actually quote a chapter-and-verse example of a time when one of our embassies was actually any use to anybody??

Madam Medusa Jun 11th 2008 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 6457686)
"The British Embassy will do nothing"

I'm hearing this far too often in far too many circumstances these last few years.

Can anyone actually quote a chapter-and-verse example of a time when one of our embassies was actually any use to anybody??

i've only heard negative stuff, i have to say...

MM, xx

Autonomy Jun 11th 2008 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6457696)

MM, xx

Thankfully, I've never had to seek their help - however, what do we expect them to do? They can't suddenly become police, P.I., lawyer, hitman, banker, whatever to bail us out... (us non-UK tax payers remember)

I think if we were in serious shit (i.e. legal / terrorist etc) then they would do whatever was within their power / remit. Is this not all we can reasonably expect from them?

Grace O Malley Jun 11th 2008 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6457696)

MM, xx

yep me to, have heard that the US embassy does do a lot more to help.

Fairydust Jun 11th 2008 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 6457728)
Thankfully, I've never had to seek their help - however, what do we expect them to do? They can't suddenly become police, P.I., lawyer, hitman, banker, whatever to bail us out... (us non-UK tax payers remember)

I think if we were in serious shit (i.e. legal / terrorist etc) then they would do whatever was within their power / remit. Is this not all we can reasonably expect from them?

A friend of ours works in the British Embassy in Pakistan and she tried to sort something out on my friends behalf but apparently the Brit Embassy in UAE is one of the only countries in the world that will not issue an emergency passport in these circumstances!!

W10 Jun 11th 2008 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 6457756)
yep me to, have heard that the US embassy does do a lot more to help.

Maybe because US citizens here have actually financially contributed to their embassy?

W10 Jun 11th 2008 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Fairydust (Post 6457937)
A friend of ours works in the British Embassy in Pakistan and she tried to sort something out on my friends behalf but apparently the Brit Embassy in UAE is one of the only countries in the world that will not issue an emergency passport in these circumstances!!

While it is horrible to hear about something like this, I can see why they won't issue emergency passports.

1, The consulate has the mother's word only
2, They cannot take sides in a domestic dispute
3, The passports are not lost, nor have they been stolen

It's a police/courts/lawyer matter and not a consular one.

Fairydust Jun 11th 2008 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 6458086)
While it is horrible to hear about something like this, I can see why they won't issue emergency passports.

1, The consulate has the mother's word only
2, They cannot take sides in a domestic dispute
3, The passports are not lost, nor have they been stolen

It's a police/courts/lawyer matter and not a consular one.

OK so no lawyer - no court so thats out

So last option in police - as u can imagine thats last option but yes there is bruising, school reports of deterioration but is that enough = who knows and to put the kids through all of this after what they've been through in the last few weeks is perhaps not good. Anyway have got some phone no.s tonight so she can hopefully speak with someone tmw

Has anyone reported passports lost or stolen and if so what details do they require ie will they need fathers sig. to be reissued

W10 Jun 11th 2008 9:02 pm

If he has hit her then she should called the police. DO the kids have to be involved in the police side of things. If she is reporting he attacked her, then the kids are nothing to do with the investigation