VPN

Old Sep 22nd 2008, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

ximmyx will become famous soon enough
Default Re: VPN

that doesnt work for me. it just shows an error message??
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

I use Hotshield, works ok, it's free and not a VPN.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Jmover is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: VPN

just downloaded hotshield - cant get to the iplayer with it though!
any ideas why not?
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

"just downloaded hotshield - cant get to the iplayer with it though!
any ideas why not?"

Just tried myself, the reason is most probably because the IP we're connecting via is not based in the UK.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 6:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MAV_DXB
"just downloaded hotshield - cant get to the iplayer with it though!
any ideas why not?"

Just tried myself, the reason is most probably because the IP we're connecting via is not based in the UK.
It's US based I think, so that's probably why.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

boroexile is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you get Skype IN to work with/without a VPN? It says on their website its £35 per year for a UK phone number which would save the relatives a fortune if it works ok.

At a guess it may only work if you're logged on via a VPN but just wondered if anyone had tried it as it would save me paying out for something that didn't work.

If it doesn't I'll probably have to register my family with Localcall.

Grateful for any replies..
Old Sep 24th 2008, 5:40 am
Just Joined

Jmover is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: VPN

rather than trying to use skype, how about using msn? it comes on most computers, and can be downloaded here in dubai and means if you are connected via broadband there are no charges - its great fun if you have a webcam on the computer too - even the most basic computers have them these days. the only problem we have come across is that there can be problems with mac users accessing the full facilities. Ok, so it is computer to computer, but these days that doesn't seem to be too much of a problem. my kids can keep in contact with their friends back in the uk quite easily.

Old Sep 24th 2008, 6:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boroexile
Can you get Skype IN to work with/without a VPN? It says on their website its £35 per year for a UK phone number which would save the relatives a fortune if it works ok.

At a guess it may only work if you're logged on via a VPN but just wondered if anyone had tried it as it would save me paying out for something that didn't work.

If it doesn't I'll probably have to register my family with Localcall.

Grateful for any replies..
reading the forums, skype to skype works, but skype to phone would be voip, and be blocked, so you would need a vpn service.

Thing is folks, mentioning which VPN services you lot use, that work, will lead to get being put on the ban list too, you know on the reasoning that your stumping money out of your service provider...so might want to keep recommendations to pm's.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
reading the forums, skype to skype works, but skype to phone would be voip, and be blocked, so you would need a vpn service.

Thing is folks, mentioning which VPN services you lot use, that work, will lead to get being put on the ban list too, you know on the reasoning that your stumping money out of your service provider...so might want to keep recommendations to pm's.
Correctamundo.....STOP IT!
Old Oct 11th 2008, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

GB2180 is just really niceGB2180 is just really niceGB2180 is just really niceGB2180 is just really niceGB2180 is just really niceGB2180 is just really niceGB2180 is just really niceGB2180 is just really nice

Hi All,
I will be flying out to Dubai to start my contract Early November, so trying to get all issues answered and sorted.
I understand from reading all the threads that I need a vpn on my laptop for me to use Skype (a must)
But will also want to use BBC Iplayer ect. Also attempt to connect to Sky also in the UK
Am I correct in saying that I need to connect to a UK based VPN? Could any one direct me to a tried and trusted supplier for VPN?

Hope to meet some of you soon. Thanks in advance
GB
Old Oct 11th 2008, 5:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by GB2180
Hi All,
I will be flying out to Dubai to start my contract Early November, so trying to get all issues answered and sorted.
I understand from reading all the threads that I need a vpn on my laptop for me to use Skype (a must)
But will also want to use BBC Iplayer ect. Also attempt to connect to Sky also in the UK
Am I correct in saying that I need to connect to a UK based VPN? Could any one direct me to a tried and trusted supplier for VPN?

Hope to meet some of you soon. Thanks in advance
GB
Skype only needs a vpn if you use it for VOIP, to phone, if just puter to puter you don't need it.

There's been a few recommendations on the board already, though I'm sure people will pm you with details as they shouldn't be broadcasted, or they'd just be put on the dead list and be no good to anyone.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

GB2180 is just really niceGB2180 is just really niceGB2180 is just really niceGB2180 is just really niceGB2180 is just really niceGB2180 is just really niceGB2180 is just really niceGB2180 is just really nice

Cheers Bob,

Would appreciate any PM's on this subject giving details of VPN to use so I can get my laptop all ware'd up and ready for Dubai.
Any news from Brits using VPN for use of Sky would be a plus also.

Looking forward to getting out theto the Middle East.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Stewn is an unknown quantity at this point

Would also very much appreciate a PM about a UK thingy if possible. All the ones I've tried are bloomin' blocked.....

Tar in advance....
Old Sep 28th 2009, 2:53 am
Banned

twisty100 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Stewn
Would also very much appreciate a PM about a UK thingy if possible. All the ones I've tried are bloomin' blocked.....

Tar in advance....
Hi Guys,

I have used www.***************** since i moved to DXB. They provided one the cheapest options i have seen, cheaper than the ones mentioned and there support is brill as i have a computer phobia ...

M
Old Sep 28th 2009, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

Abu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really nice

I am using Etasilat USB mobile broadband on my laptop. Does anyone know if a VPN would screw that up? Will it treat the laptop as if it's in the UK and cost me a bloody fortune?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.