Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Vodafone or Ooredoo (contract) in Doha

Vodafone or Ooredoo (contract) in Doha

Old May 17th 2014, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Capoeira123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Vodafone or Ooredoo (contract) in Doha

My wife and I have been here about 2 months and have been spending like crazy on Ooreedoo pre-pay (partly down to dodgy wi-fi where we live meaning lots of skyping using 3G). So it's time to go post-pay and save some cash...

I've asked a few people about Vodafone, and the response I always get is "terrible coverage" from people who seem to have never used it.

Does anyone have any experience of (1) coverage and (2) customer service for Vodafone, because it's certainly cheaper on their Red packages?

Thanks!
Old May 18th 2014, 2:11 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vodafone or Ooredoo (contract) in Doha

Originally Posted by Capoeira123
My wife and I have been here about 2 months and have been spending like crazy on Ooreedoo pre-pay (partly down to dodgy wi-fi where we live meaning lots of skyping using 3G). So it's time to go post-pay and save some cash...

I've asked a few people about Vodafone, and the response I always get is "terrible coverage" from people who seem to have never used it.

Does anyone have any experience of (1) coverage and (2) customer service for Vodafone, because it's certainly cheaper on their Red packages?

Thanks!
I use Vodafone on PAYG and it is fine. I get and H symbol (HSPA) inside my apartment in Central Doha, which I think is excellent. There is a good shop in City Centre Mall, across from Carrefour, which is well staffed and usually quiet.

Two minor problems with Vodafone:

They spam you with SMS messages and emails trying to sell you stuff, even though asked not to. Ask if this can be switched off permanently before you sign up.

The PAYG credit expires with no warning after a set period of time, leaving you disconnected, and if you're not quick they reallocate your number to someone else.
Old May 18th 2014, 8:28 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
If you are making lots of international calls Ooredont are the cheapest option by far. I have 1200 minutes a month worldwide for about 500 riyals but there are cheaper packages. If you are just calling in Doha Vodafone is cheaper.
Old May 18th 2014, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Venezuelan007 is an unknown quantity at this point

" Ooredont "

I sense subliminal messages...
Old May 18th 2014, 1:30 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Venezuelan007
" Ooredont "

I sense subliminal messages...
To be fair to them on the mobile front they have been as good as gold - The fiber service I still cannot bring myself to talk about without feeling rage...........
Old May 19th 2014, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

stormwynd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britexpat76
To be fair to them on the mobile front they have been as good as gold - The fiber service I still cannot bring myself to talk about without feeling rage...........
Howso, on the fiber? Planning out my potential future life in Qatar and it includes fiber heh
Old May 19th 2014, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stormwynd
Howso, on the fiber? Planning out my potential future life in Qatar and it includes fiber heh
It's like Special K - you find yourself shitting in fraustration.
Old May 20th 2014, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

JamesandTamsin is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're using lots of data subscribe to a data package! Text MIP 25 to 121 and you get 1500MB of data per week for 25 riyals a month. It's quite cost effective!

If you use more than 1500MB then you can text MIP 100 for unlimited data but it's 100 p/w..
Old May 20th 2014, 4:07 am
Just Joined

stormwynd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OleJanx
It's like Special K - you find yourself shitting in fraustration.
I guess that's not really the fiber I meant :P
Old May 20th 2014, 6:44 am
Just Joined

Capoeira123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JamesandTamsin
If you're using lots of data subscribe to a data package! Text MIP 25 to 121 and you get 1500MB of data per week for 25 riyals a month. It's quite cost effective!

If you use more than 1500MB then you can text MIP 100 for unlimited data but it's 100 p/w..
That's really helpful - thanks for that. While on PAYG that does appear to be the best deal, as simply relying on Hala top up gets very expensive if you have a data-hungry smartphone!
Old May 20th 2014, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

JamesandTamsin is an unknown quantity at this point

That's really helpful - thanks for that. While on PAYG that does appear to be the best deal, as simply relying on Hala top up gets very expensive if you have a data-hungry smartphone!
When I first got my Sim (Oredoooooo) I loaded 200 QAR and it was gone within 3 days. Now I subscribe to MIP 25 the same amount lasts me 3-4 weeks. If you top up 200 QAR at a time you also get some bonus international minutes which is useful!