British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Vodafone or Ooredoo (contract) in Doha (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/vodafone-ooredoo-contract-doha-834141/)

Capoeira123 May 17th 2014 5:11 pm

Vodafone or Ooredoo (contract) in Doha

My wife and I have been here about 2 months and have been spending like crazy on Ooreedoo pre-pay (partly down to dodgy wi-fi where we live meaning lots of skyping using 3G). So it's time to go post-pay and save some cash...

I've asked a few people about Vodafone, and the response I always get is "terrible coverage" from people who seem to have never used it.

Does anyone have any experience of (1) coverage and (2) customer service for Vodafone, because it's certainly cheaper on their Red packages?

Thanks!

Johnnyboy11 May 18th 2014 2:11 am

Re: Vodafone or Ooredoo (contract) in Doha

Originally Posted by Capoeira123 (Post 11264529)
My wife and I have been here about 2 months and have been spending like crazy on Ooreedoo pre-pay (partly down to dodgy wi-fi where we live meaning lots of skyping using 3G). So it's time to go post-pay and save some cash...

I've asked a few people about Vodafone, and the response I always get is "terrible coverage" from people who seem to have never used it.

Does anyone have any experience of (1) coverage and (2) customer service for Vodafone, because it's certainly cheaper on their Red packages?

Thanks!

I use Vodafone on PAYG and it is fine. I get and H symbol (HSPA) inside my apartment in Central Doha, which I think is excellent. There is a good shop in City Centre Mall, across from Carrefour, which is well staffed and usually quiet.

Two minor problems with Vodafone:

They spam you with SMS messages and emails trying to sell you stuff, even though asked not to. Ask if this can be switched off permanently before you sign up.

The PAYG credit expires with no warning after a set period of time, leaving you disconnected, and if you're not quick they reallocate your number to someone else.

britexpat76 May 18th 2014 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Capoeira123 (Post 11264529)

Thanks!

If you are making lots of international calls Ooredont are the cheapest option by far. I have 1200 minutes a month worldwide for about 500 riyals but there are cheaper packages. If you are just calling in Doha Vodafone is cheaper.

Venezuelan007 May 18th 2014 11:54 am

" Ooredont "

I sense subliminal messages...

britexpat76 May 18th 2014 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Venezuelan007 (Post 11265157)
" Ooredont "

I sense subliminal messages...

To be fair to them on the mobile front they have been as good as gold - The fiber service I still cannot bring myself to talk about without feeling rage...........

stormwynd May 19th 2014 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 11265232)
To be fair to them on the mobile front they have been as good as gold - The fiber service I still cannot bring myself to talk about without feeling rage...........

Howso, on the fiber? Planning out my potential future life in Qatar and it includes fiber heh ;)

OleJanx May 19th 2014 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by stormwynd (Post 11266922)
Howso, on the fiber? Planning out my potential future life in Qatar and it includes fiber heh ;)

It's like Special K - you find yourself shitting in fraustration.

JamesandTamsin May 20th 2014 3:48 am

If you're using lots of data subscribe to a data package! Text MIP 25 to 121 and you get 1500MB of data per week for 25 riyals a month. It's quite cost effective!

If you use more than 1500MB then you can text MIP 100 for unlimited data but it's 100 p/w..

stormwynd May 20th 2014 4:07 am

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 11267034)
It's like Special K - you find yourself shitting in fraustration.

I guess that's not really the fiber I meant :P

Capoeira123 May 20th 2014 6:44 am

Originally Posted by JamesandTamsin (Post 11267393)
If you're using lots of data subscribe to a data package! Text MIP 25 to 121 and you get 1500MB of data per week for 25 riyals a month. It's quite cost effective!

If you use more than 1500MB then you can text MIP 100 for unlimited data but it's 100 p/w..

That's really helpful - thanks for that. While on PAYG that does appear to be the best deal, as simply relying on Hala top up gets very expensive if you have a data-hungry smartphone!

JamesandTamsin May 20th 2014 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Capoeira123 (Post 11267520)
That's really helpful - thanks for that. While on PAYG that does appear to be the best deal, as simply relying on Hala top up gets very expensive if you have a data-hungry smartphone!

When I first got my Sim (Oredoooooo) I loaded 200 QAR and it was gone within 3 days. Now I subscribe to MIP 25 the same amount lasts me 3-4 weeks. If you top up 200 QAR at a time you also get some bonus international minutes which is useful!