Reload this Page >

Visitor able to drive in UAE

Visitor able to drive in UAE

Old Apr 27th 2011, 10:53 am
Just Joined

speakthinkdohspeakagain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visitor able to drive in UAE

Hello,

We have some friends arriving at the weekend from the UK and will be with us for about 3 weeks.

Although they will be here for 3 weeks, we (the one who does think first, and I) will be at work for 2 of those weeks. Rather than let them stump up a fortune in car hire fees I was thinking I would let them use my car when I am at work.

Does anyone know if it's OK for me to let them do this? Have spoken to our insurers and they were pretty clueless which doesn't inspire me

Thanks
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visitor able to drive in UAE

Originally Posted by speakthinkdohspeakagain
Hello,

We have some friends arriving at the weekend from the UK and will be with us for about 3 weeks.

Although they will be here for 3 weeks, we (the one who does think first, and I) will be at work for 2 of those weeks. Rather than let them stump up a fortune in car hire fees I was thinking I would let them use my car when I am at work.

Does anyone know if it's OK for me to let them do this? Have spoken to our insurers and they were pretty clueless which doesn't inspire me

Thanks
In a nut shell... No, it's against the rules.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:15 am
Just Joined

speakthinkdohspeakagain is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Millhouse

I'll let them walk
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:27 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by speakthinkdohspeakagain
Thanks Millhouse

I'll let them walk
taxis are cheaper than hiring a car
Old Apr 27th 2011, 2:55 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

last time i checked with the rta and insurance co. it was fine BUT they need an international drivers licence which is about 15 quid in the uk.

or they can go to the traffic department and get a temporary UAE licence which is valid for 6 months and just requires a UK licence to get.

father in law drives here all the time and every visit i check with axa and its always a non issue
Old Apr 27th 2011, 3:04 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
last time i checked with the rta and insurance co. it was fine BUT they need an international drivers licence which is about 15 quid in the uk.

or they can go to the traffic department and get a temporary UAE licence which is valid for 6 months and just requires a UK licence to get.

father in law drives here all the time and every visit i check with axa and its always a non issue
they stopped doing the temp licences...

I called the RTA last week for a similar scenario, and they told me you can drive a privately owned car without the international driving licence...this was regarding a Dutch person, but as they are on the same list as the Brits, I assume that the same goes for them (the list as to which country can get a Dubai licence without going through the lessons/tests). They initially told me you do need the international one, but they called me back later to say you don't...

To be sure, just call the RTA 800 9090
Old Apr 27th 2011, 3:13 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
they stopped doing the temp licences...

I called the RTA last week for a similar scenario, and they told me you can drive a privately owned car without the international driving licence...this was regarding a Dutch person, but as they are on the same list as the Brits, I assume that the same goes for them (the list as to which country can get a Dubai licence without going through the lessons/tests). They initially told me you do need the international one, but they called me back later to say you don't...

To be sure, just call the RTA 800 9090
ta,its probably worth the 15 quid or so as a back up though given the changes of mind the rta go through depending on the moons position
Old Apr 27th 2011, 3:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
Blimey...when did the AA knock the prices up that much? They used to a fiver a few years ago
Old Apr 27th 2011, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

...interesting. I thought that you just simply couldn't drive a resident registered car on a non UAE license.

I know my insurance policy says that my car can be driven by anyone holding a 'license valid in the UAE'. Totally unclear and undefined.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 4:59 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Millhouse
...interesting. I thought that you just simply couldn't drive a resident registered car on a non UAE license.

I know my insurance policy says that my car can be driven by anyone holding a 'license valid in the UAE'. Totally unclear and undefined.
Ah but section 38 paragraph z (currently stored in ali bin flip-flops bottom drawer) states that visitors from certain countries are deemed to have a valid licence. I think it's only for a month though hence why I used to send family to get a 6 month licence
Old Apr 28th 2011, 5:22 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

And ultimately it depends on your insurance company accepting them. If that isn't cleared it's likely the insurance will be invalidated.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 9:02 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

So ... what if you're between residency visas (ie on tourist visas) - is your UAE driving licence still valid?

This is becoming a pain in the but!.
Old May 1st 2011, 4:56 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hnd
So ... what if you're between residency visas (ie on tourist visas) - is your UAE driving licence still valid?

This is becoming a pain in the but!.
No it isn't. A UAE driving licence is only legally valid if you have a residency visa, no matter the expiry date written on the licence itself.
Old May 1st 2011, 8:34 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Meow