British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Visiting The UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/visiting-uk-934136/)

mission Aug 3rd 2020 11:51 am

Visiting The UK

Hi Folks

Quick question - does anyone know if there is any mandatory quarantine when you fly to the UK from Dubai?

Thanks

martinbkk Aug 3rd 2020 2:17 pm

Re: Visiting The UK

Short answer. No quarantine but you need to self isolate for 14 days when entering UK from UAE.

TLDR

According to this list:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...val-in-england
UAE is not on the list of countries not requiring self isolation meaning it is required.
Updates to the list are also here:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...-corridor-list
And instructions on how to self isolate are here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...avel-to-the-uk

NB. Quarantine and self isolation can be seen as different. Quarantine suggests a separate facility, typically government approved and controlled in some way. Self Isolation being simply to keep your self isolated from all other people in your own property.

Millhouse Aug 3rd 2020 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by martinbkk (Post 12891629)
Short answer. No quarantine but you need to self isolate for 14 days when entering UK from UAE.

TLDR

According to this list:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...val-in-england
UAE is not on the list of countries not requiring self isolation meaning it is required.
Updates to the list are also here:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...-corridor-list
And instructions on how to self isolate are here:

NB. Quarantine and self isolation can be seen as different. Quarantine suggests a separate facility, typically government approved and controlled in some way. Self Isolation being simply to keep your self isolated from all other people in your own property.

Im also trying to figure out if it’s ok to come and go within 14 days. Can’t find that answer anywhere.

csdf Aug 4th 2020 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12891841)
Im also trying to figure out if it’s ok to come and go within 14 days. Can’t find that answer anywhere.

Isn't it obvious? If you're isolating, then by definition you can't come and go (unless you're Dominic Cummings).

co durham boy Aug 4th 2020 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12891841)

Yes you can come and go in any period as long as you isolate for that period .you're there in the UK. I dont know many that have been isolating though , the whole thing is a farce .

Millhouse Aug 4th 2020 6:48 am

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 12892043)
Isn't it obvious? If you're isolating, then by definition you can't come and go (unless you're Dominic Cummings).

No, it is not obvious. In fact, the rules are 100% vague on that specific point.

co durham boy Aug 4th 2020 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12892065)
No, it is not obvious. In fact, the rules are 100% vague on that specific point.

Who must self-isolate

These rules are for UK residents and all visitors coming into the UK.

You will need to complete a public health passenger locator form unless you are travelling within the Common Travel Area, and have been in the Common Travel Area for the past 14 days. If you’ve been outside the Common Travel Area at any time in the last 14 days you will need to complete a public health passenger locator form.

You do not need to self-isolate if you’re travelling from an exempt country and have been in an exempt country for the last 14 days. You should check the list of exempt countries before you travel. Exempt countries include all parts of the UK, the Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

If you travel from an exempt country but have been in a country that is not exempt within the last 14 days, you will need to self-isolate for the remainder of the 14 days since you were in a non-exempt country. If you transit through a country that is not exempt you will be required to self-isolate for 14 days.

For example, if you arrive in the UK from a country that is exempt, but you travelled to the exempt country 4 days ago from a country that is not exempt you will need to self-isolate for 10 days. If you’re travelling to the UK for less than 10 days you will need to self-isolate for the length of your stay.

There are other reasons why you might not need to self-isolate. Read the detailed guidance on who does not need to self-isolate.

If you are exempt, you will still need to stay alert and stay safe.

csdf Aug 4th 2020 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12892065)

I'm still confused. The definition of isolation is not being in contact with others. Are you asking whether you can come and go, as long as you don't come into contact with others (i.e. go for a walk on your own in the countryside)? Or something else?

Edit: re-reading, perhaps you meant come and go from the UK, rather than come and go (from your place of isolation) once you're in the UK. Even so, what's the point going to the UK and just staying in isolation then coming straight back again?

scot47 Aug 4th 2020 11:32 am

Make the rules vague AND make no attempt to police them. A recipe for disaster. Are we surprised ?

Millhouse Aug 4th 2020 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 12892124)
I'm still confused. The definition of isolation is not being in contact with others. Are you asking whether you can come and go, as long as you don't come into contact with others (i.e. go for a walk on your own in the countryside)? Or something else?

Edit: re-reading, perhaps you meant come and go from the UK, rather than come and go (from your place of isolation) once you're in the UK. Even so, what's the point going to the UK and just staying in isolation then coming straight back again?

I would like to be in the U.K. less than 14 days.

rebs Aug 4th 2020 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12892216)
I would like to be in the U.K. less than 14 days.

I think you can leave the country again within the 14 days. Simon Calder is a travel journalist and he has been talking about this - the only way to shorted the 14 day isolation period is to leave the country. If you check out his twitter feed, I think he has at some point posted the uk gov regs which talk about it - one of the only permitted reasons for leaving your house during the isolation period would be to go to an airport to leave the country.

csdf Aug 4th 2020 2:40 pm

But what's the point of flying to the UK in order to spend 14 (or fewer) days in isolation, before flying straight back out again? Have Greggs started home deliveries or something?

Millhouse Aug 4th 2020 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 12892277)
But what's the point of flying to the UK in order to spend 14 (or fewer) days in isolation, before flying straight back out again? Have Greggs started home deliveries or something?

To see my son. A week of xbox and BBQs sounds better than effectively self isolating due to the heat.

csdf Aug 4th 2020 5:46 pm

But if you're seeing your son then you're not self-isolating. Or will he then go into isolation for 14 days too?

Millhouse Aug 4th 2020 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 12892399)
But if you're seeing your son then you're not self-isolating. Or will he then go into isolation for 14 days too?

no where does it say (at least to my knowledge) that it you are self isolating, those in the same house are also required to self isolate.

co durham boy Aug 5th 2020 4:02 am

Just do what you need to do mate like everyone else is .The whole thing is bullshit .

shiraz1 Aug 5th 2020 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12892437)
no where does it say (at least to my knowledge) that it you are self isolating, those in the same house are also required to self isolate.

Well no, but they aren't allowed to see you either.

Millhouse Aug 5th 2020 6:10 am

Originally Posted by shiraz1 (Post 12892536)
Well no, but they aren't allowed to see you either.

Again, that point is not clear - point me to the rule where that is clarified.

shiraz1 Aug 5th 2020 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12892537)
Again, that point is not clear - point me to the rule where that is clarified.

"You should self-isolate in one place for the full 14 days, where you can have food and other necessities delivered, and stay away from others. "

csdf Aug 5th 2020 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12892437)

How is there room to mis-interpret the term "self-isolate"? Isolate = stay away from others. Self-isolate = stay away from others, with even more emphasis on avoiding contact with anyone else.

If you accept that the purpose of this self-isolation is to avoid accidentally introducing a new source of infection from abroad, then it follows clearly that if you meet someone else during that period, they then should go into self-isolation to stop a possible infection chain. If, on the other hand, you think the whole thing is bullshit and not worth doing, then who cares about the rules around 14 days in the first place?

Millhouse Aug 5th 2020 6:58 am

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 12892543)
How is there room to mis-interpret the term "self-isolate"? Isolate = stay away from others. Self-isolate = stay away from others, with even more emphasis on avoiding contact with anyone else.

If you accept that the purpose of this self-isolation is to avoid accidentally introducing a new source of infection from abroad, then it follows clearly that if you meet someone else during that period, they then should go into self-isolation to stop a possible infection chain. If, on the other hand, you think the whole thing is bullshit and not worth doing, then who cares about the rules around 14 days in the first place?

I’m following the rules, not reading things into them. I didn’t write the rules and I intend to follow them to the letter.

Self isolation isn’t solitary confinement and it is clear you can isolate with family. I’ll be having two PCR tests in a week - and I do think it’s bullshit.

shiraz1 Aug 5th 2020 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12892545)
I’m following the rules, not reading things into them. I didn’t write the rules and I intend to follow them to the letter.

Self isolation isn’t solitary confinement and it is clear you can isolate with family. I’ll be having two PCR tests in a week - and I do think it’s bullshit.

"Self isolation isn’t solitary confinement and it is clear you can isolate with family."

Your family won't be self isolating though.

Millhouse Aug 5th 2020 7:13 am

Originally Posted by shiraz1 (Post 12892550)
"Self isolation isn’t solitary confinement and it is clear you can isolate with family."

Your family won't be self isolating though.

I didn’t write the rules.

shiraz1 Aug 5th 2020 7:19 am

You're interpreting them as "stay away from others unless you are related to them and then they can carry on as normal" which is clearly wrong.

Given your chances of being caught are almost zero what's the point in that, just admit you're going to break the rules and take your chances.I suspect that's what most people are doing anyway.

Millhouse Aug 5th 2020 7:35 am

Originally Posted by shiraz1 (Post 12892557)
You're interpreting them as "stay away from others unless you are related to them and then they can carry on as normal" which is clearly wrong.

Given your chances of being caught are almost zero what's the point in that, just admit you're going to break the rules and take your chances.I suspect that's what most people are doing anyway.

I’m not planning on interpreting the rules. I plan on following them. It seems those seeking more extreme measures are doing the interpretation.

weasel decentral Aug 5th 2020 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12892561)
I’m not planning on interpreting the rules. I plan on following them. It seems those seeking more extreme measures are doing the interpretation.

Self isolating with family would involve you isolating yourself within a room of the house. That's how it works everywhere else.

Millhouse Aug 6th 2020 5:51 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12892575)
Self isolating with family would involve you isolating yourself within a room of the house. That's how it works everywhere else.

I think you are right.

The rules are now clear that the people you are self isolating with do not need to isolate.

csdf Aug 6th 2020 6:33 am

If the people you are self-isolating with are not themselves isolating, then you have effectively broken the whole intent of the quarantine. I'm curious why you care about following the rules in the first place and don't just do a Cummings.

Millhouse Aug 6th 2020 6:40 am

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 12893106)
If the people you are self-isolating with are not themselves isolating, then you have effectively broken the whole intent of the quarantine. I'm curious why you care about following the rules in the first place and don't just do a Cummings.

I follow rules.

HiHo Aug 6th 2020 6:46 am

Stop picking on Millhouse, He has been so isolated for so long he has forgotten how to fight back. Dear Millhouse prior to this debacle your pat response would have been 'screw you" I hope to see you back fighting fit and well after a break.

csdf Aug 6th 2020 9:13 am

To summarise for the benefit of the three other people left on this board: "is there a technical loophole whereby I can travel to the UK and see people within the 14 day quarantine period, whilst still respecting the letter of the law that says I should be self-isolating"? Answer: probably, yes.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 9th 2020 6:58 am

I'd rather be tea-bagged by a goat than be stuck isolating at Mum's house for 14 days to then be able to go out and do things for a few days to then fly back.

As much as I like rules, I have a few jobs to do in the UK but all require being out of the house so I see no point going and trying. Also, they can all wait until it's easier - so they will.
That being said, if I was Millhouse I'd be doing the same thing.