British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   visiting AD this Monday (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/visiting-ad-monday-567586/)

LynR Oct 16th 2008 3:37 pm

visiting AD this Monday

Hi
Well we are getting there slowly but surely and hubby and I are arriving early Monday morning - interview in AD on Tuesday so we would probably want to go straight through to Al Ain on Monday/Monday night to have a look round - any advice on where to stay in Al Ain and AD (Tuesday night) and best way to get from airport to Al Ain and best places to look in Al Ain to get a very quick view of the place - dont need to know about schools as no kids with us but would value some advice of the easiest, quickest way to see as much as possible (that will show us something of the life there) as we will really only have a day and a half to decide whether or not we would want to move (presuming he gets the job) - so many questions/so little time!! :eek:

Blue Cat Oct 17th 2008 4:30 am

Re: visiting AD this Monday

I would say book into the Hilton in Al Ain, that is my favourite Hotel up there. Get a taxi from the Airport or see if the Hilton can organise a pick up for you. Drop Amazing Grace a PM - see if you can meet up with her for a quick low down of Al Ain. Good luck :thumbup:

Is the company not sorting out accomodation for you in AD?

hawkhead Oct 17th 2008 8:38 am

Hi Lyn, Blue cat is right - you should get the company to sort out the accommodation - can be hard to find and hideously expensive in AD - especially with such short notice.

LynR Oct 17th 2008 8:46 am

Hi - thanks for that - everything is so up in the air right now - hubby's prospective company is sorting out his flight - we have to do mine!!! But its weekend now for them and they have not confirmed. I am going to have to book mine and hope that his is the same - a bit confusing I know but time is very short. As for living accomodation (if we get the job and take it) they will sort that out and hubby has said he thinks they will sort out for us on Monday but who knows - I am just trying to be prepared.

When I know more I will let you know - would love to be able to meet up if poss with anyone around.

Lyn

hawkhead Oct 17th 2008 8:48 am

But surely they will be sorting out accomm for him Monday & Tuesday night and you can stay with him?

LynR Oct 17th 2008 8:55 am

I am sure they will be - I am just barging right in and maybe making a contingency plan in case! To be honest I didnt even think of that until this morning when hubby said they will be arranging accom for us on Monday and Tuesday - not really thinking straight as there are 1000 things going on at the moment and I am finding it hard to focus. :eek:

hawkhead Oct 17th 2008 8:58 am

OK, well I'd leave it to the company then because it would be a pain in the backside for you to try to sort out, esp in AD.
Let us know how your visit goes!

Amazing Grace Oct 17th 2008 11:36 am

Try and stay calm, I can understand your excitement but it will all fall into place. Accomodation here is booked by the room not per person and as everyone has said the company I would have thought. The Hilton is fully booked right through to Wednesday next week but hey you might already have a booking if the company is doing it for you.

I have PM'd you so have a car and driver which will be cheaper as I said so try and not get too excited over the weekend. I know the waiting is the hardest thing to do.

Keep in touch:thumbup:

Amazing Grace Oct 20th 2008 2:35 pm

Hi Lyn it was lovely to meet you and your husband today and have a nice cold drink by the pool at "my house" The Hilton. I hope everything goes well tomorrow and I have my fingers crossed we will see you both back here very soon. Keep in touch :wub:

someone in al ain Oct 20th 2008 11:00 pm

hope all went well.;)

LynR Oct 23rd 2008 5:44 am

Hi everyone - well we are back in the UK after a somewhat interesting visit to AD and Al Ain.

Grace it was great to meet you and to pick your brains and get your perspective on moving - thanks ever so much.

The interview seemed to go well - four hours long! We now wait and see what happens - need to get into the UAE way of thinking - it will happen as and when - no rush!

Will keep you all updated when we hear something and will definitely continue to watch the thread and throw my tuppence worth in.

Have a great day everyone

:thumbsup:

hawkhead Oct 23rd 2008 5:47 am

Good luck! I hope they don't keep you waiting too long - keep us informed!

LynR Oct 23rd 2008 6:49 am

Thank you - I hope they let us know sooner rather than later - not knowing is the worst at the moment but then knowing (if it is positive) throws up all other sorts of challenges and decisions to make - I HATE making such major decisions - maybe I will just toss a coin or throw it open to the forum - sort of 'he loves me he loves me not'! :rofl:

Blue Cat Oct 23rd 2008 7:15 am

you will know more when you find out what the 'package' is as whether it is worth your while or not, good luck :thumbup:

hawkhead Oct 23rd 2008 7:37 am

Yeah bluecat is right - if the package is right then you might as well come, what have you got to lose?!
I agree though, it's the waiting game that's the killer. :unsure: