British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Visit to Dubai with baby (20mnths) - risks? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/visit-dubai-baby-20mnths-risks-550482/)

burleighscriv Jul 22nd 2008 8:25 am

Visit to Dubai with baby (20mnths) - risks?

Apart from the recent publicity over the upgrading of the security risk for travellers to the UAE, I would like advice on what might be the 'downside' of taking a 20 month old to Dubai for a 2 week holiday in October.
Is is too hot (will he have to be inside most of the day)
Safety in taxis / safety generally?
Things to do for a toddler of that age?
I've heard great things about the place - but will a young baby really appreciate what there is on offer?
Any replies/advise would be helpful. Thanks.
scriv

Madam Medusa Jul 22nd 2008 8:48 am

Re: Visit to Dubai with baby (20mnths) - risks?

if you bring a car seat, then taxis are no problem, the place itself is incredibly safe...shouldn't be too hot in october (and to be honest, people do live here with babies all year, they cope!)...there are some great play areas for toddlers, parks, and of course pools, dreamland and the beach, so you will be fine, sure you'll love it...and toddler will appreciate what's on offer here as much as he/she would anywhere else...

MM, xx

Meow Jul 22nd 2008 9:19 am

Does a 20 month old appreciate anything much?

-

MataHari Jul 22nd 2008 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 6597361)
Does a 20 month old appreciate anything much?

-

hell yeah...they have a mind of their own, they can walk, talk and get very cranky...

MataHari Jul 22nd 2008 10:29 am

Originally Posted by burleighscriv (Post 6597222)
Apart from the recent publicity over the upgrading of the security risk for travellers to the UAE, I would like advice on what might be the 'downside' of taking a 20 month old to Dubai for a 2 week holiday in October.
Is is too hot (will he have to be inside most of the day)
Safety in taxis / safety generally?
Things to do for a toddler of that age?
I've heard great things about the place - but will a young baby really appreciate what there is on offer?
Any replies/advise would be helpful. Thanks.
scriv

there shouldn't be a downside...just do what you always do...
and as she/he is not old enough to get leggless at Friday brunch and have sex on the beach afterwards, there is nothing to worry about...

Simao Jul 22nd 2008 11:59 am

yeah make sure not let her have sex on the beach, or yourself :rofl: you might end up in youtube or something.

Welivehere Jul 22nd 2008 12:44 pm

Baby shoudl be fine. Also you don't need to bring much stuff with you. the hotel should provide crib / cot etc and most other things (ie car seat)you may need can be rented here in Dubai:

http://www.rentacrib.ae/equipment.htm

Saves you having to hump it all out and back....

Enjoy.... :D

Eva Jul 22nd 2008 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Welivehere (Post 6598092)
Baby shoudl be fine. Also you don't need to bring much stuff with you. the hotel should provide crib / cot etc and most other things (ie car seat)you may need can be rented here in Dubai:

http://www.rentacrib.ae/equipment.htm

Saves you having to hump it all out and back....

Enjoy.... :D

You don't want to be doing that:eek:

Inselaffen Jul 22nd 2008 1:24 pm

there is a risk it will annoy all the other passengers on the flight!

Meow Jul 22nd 2008 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 6598254)

Good point. Don't you just love it when parents just let their brats scream for hours?

MataHari Jul 22nd 2008 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 6598268)
Good point. Don't you just love it when parents just let their brats scream for hours?

it's not always a case of letting them scream...
but I agree...it's very annnoying for everyone, the parents included...

Madam Medusa Jul 22nd 2008 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 6598254)

or it might be well behaved, like my two...!

MM, xx

busybee2 Jul 22nd 2008 2:20 pm

i think my idea of soundproofed little beds located in the over head locker area would be 'good' for everyone but when my 2 were little they would never sleep from the word go, it would take at least 4 hours before they would decide they 'were' actually tired, and it is annoying for everyone especially the parents, because you are rather stuck, especially if you get no help from the cc when you are juggling 2 of them there is only so much you can do with a baby in a restricted area etc. but one time i was in the front of the section where all the babies were of course, and my little one at the time was making a little bit of a noise, but take it from me, he was being quite good, he could have made a load more noise if he wanted to, but a french lady started to have an arguement with me, saying that i should basicially 'drug' him to quiet him, well have tried that before, and if you look at the small print, it can make a small percentage even more hyper! so dont do that any more, my answer to her was to wear ear plugs or dont get put in the front where all the families etc are as you are more than likely to get a lot of noise and to sit at the back where it was nice and quiet, she didnt want to move even though there was loads of nice quiet room at the back of the plane....!

Madam Medusa Jul 22nd 2008 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 6598434)
a french lady started to have an arguement with me, saying that i should basicially 'drug' him to quiet him, well have tried that before, and if you look at the small print, it can make a small percentage even more hyper!

lol, yeah, my brother drugged his daughter once and she was completely hyper for the whole of a 14 hour flight from the uk to hong kong...complete mare for him and the other passengers alike...

MM, xx

busybee2 Jul 22nd 2008 4:48 pm

yes try before you buy......