Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

visa for wife & child

visa for wife & child

Old Jul 25th 2010, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

redf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default visa for wife & child

My husband just got a visa in which it was stated that he hasnt got any wife or child, which isnt the case.

When my husband queried his employer on it, they told him it is because they (the Company ) are only sponsoring him whereas he will have to sponsor us (the wife and child) when we arrive there.

Is this the normal practise?
Old Jul 25th 2010, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: visa for wife & child

Originally Posted by redf
My husband just got a visa in which it was stated that he hasnt got any wife or child, which isnt the case.

When my husband queried his employer on it, they told him it is because they (the Company ) are only sponsoring him whereas he will have to sponsor us (the wife and child) when we arrive there.

yes this is normal but hopefully his PRO will help him with it.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the prompt reply!
Old Jul 25th 2010, 3:32 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't recall my company visa saying anything about my marital and/or parental status. It sounds rather odd to me.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
I don't recall my company visa saying anything about my marital and/or parental status. It sounds rather odd to me.
I don't know about that bit, I just know that the husband has to do the sponorship for the family.
Redf.. are they giving him housing allowance and schooling etc?
Old Jul 25th 2010, 4:42 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

If this is Saudi you're out of luck. The company sponsors the whole family not just the husband. In fact you can't bring your family to Saudi unless the company allows you to (through your contract and then the type of visa you're given).

Not sure about UAE, but what Patsy says sounds plausible. However your husband should check that they're giving him a family contract as otherwise you won't be entitled to school fees, flights home and medical insurance...
Old Jul 25th 2010, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
If this is Saudi you're out of luck. The company sponsors the whole family not just the husband. In fact you can't bring your family to Saudi unless the company allows you to (through your contract and then the type of visa you're given).

Not sure about UAE, but what Patsy says sounds plausible. However your husband should check that they're giving him a family contract as otherwise you won't be entitled to school fees, flights home and medical insurance...
if your contract allows for school fees, etc etc, most companies now just give you lump sum up to you how to spend it. med insurance in dxb the company only needs to fork out for the husband, the husband has to provide for family (some companies obviously do it but not all), only in ad is it the companies responsibity.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

obviously you need to specify which country. Today. in Saudi, I was trying to obtain visa for my wife. My contract says nothing about married status and neither does my Iqama, and this does not seem to be a problem. Basically I am sponsoring my wife. The company has had to provide a letter saying that they are responsible for my accommodation etc. I have had to provide copies of marriage certificate , degree certificates and the name of the decorator of our upstairs loo. I now need a letter from my employer to the guy getting me the visa authorising him to get the visa. I have no idea what they might ask for tomorrow.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

PS the degree certificate had me flummoxed for a while - the agent kept asking for a copy of my marriage certificate and my bachelor certificate. How the hell can I have both a marriage and a bachelor certificate ? -he was asking for a copy my bachelor degree certificate.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

moving to abu dhabi. yes, accommodation and schooling (but our son is too young for school yet) and yearly airticket provided for. The company does know we are a family.

The company is the govt but thought it an odd arrangement. Maybe that;s how they do it there.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

vastmassive is an unknown quantity at this point

For reading the aforementioned quote, I can assume that it is the type of visa that he has obtained....... you are able to sponsor your family on CERTAIN visa's but not all....... For example it is a cheaper visa but does not allow for sponsorship of family. if this is the case he will not be able to sponsor you with or without the help of the PRO. In order to fix this, he must have his visa changed and possition changed.

I was in the same boat a few years ago, this was due to the fact that my previous sponsor had lost my school certificates, as I was waiting for the repacements my employer applied for the only visa that I could get without certificates and that visa prevented me from sponsoring my family.... In order to finally sponsor them when I obtained my certificates I had to change my visa again.