British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   visa run update (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/visa-run-update-642013/)

Patsy Stoned Nov 24th 2009 5:42 pm

visa run update

I was trying to get a 60 visa for my mother...she is very old and doddery and it would be difficult for her to do a Hatta visa run, I was hoping I could arrange an extended visa from immigration...no luck!

My friend's husband is 1 of the top immigration guys at the airport.........here is what I have been told, only 30 days visit visa, you can extend it for another 30 days at immigration and pay a fee ( you get a 10 day grace period to apply for it) after that you have to do a visa run and can do that every 30 days.

Apparently there is no way now that they can use the "old school network" her husband said that before this he could have called somebody and arranged for an "extended extention" for my mother but they have clamped down.

Here is a new thing...before, if you over stayedyour visa it cost you 100dhs a day. They have now increased the fine to 500dhs a day! This is apparently to stop people being so tardy at renewing their visas, so guys beware xxx

co durham boy Nov 25th 2009 6:04 am

Re: visa run update

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8122103)
I was trying to get a 60 visa for my mother...she is very old and doddery and it would be difficult for her to do a Hatta visa run, I was hoping I could arrange an extended visa from immigration...no luck!

My friend's husband is 1 of the top immigration guys at the airport.........here is what I have been told, only 30 days visit visa, you can extend it for another 30 days at immigration and pay a fee ( you get a 10 day grace period to apply for it) after that you have to do a visa run and can do that every 30 days.

Apparently there is no way now that they can use the "old school network" her husband said that before this he could have called somebody and arranged for an "extended extention" for my mother but they have clamped down.

Here is a new thing...before, if you over stayedyour visa it cost you 100dhs a day. They have now increased the fine to 500dhs a day! This is apparently to stop people being so tardy at renewing their visas, so guys beware xxx

that immigration law has been in force for quite a while , how and who they enforce it to is quite another issue as we all know,i know they are very strict on the 500 AED fine for lapsed days.

MacScot Nov 25th 2009 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8122103)

I'll be doing this next year while I wait to sell my apartment. Does the 10-day grace period you mention only apply if you go to immigration to extend the visa or does it also apply to the visa runs? What I mean...do you do visa runs every 29 days (approx) or can you do it every 39 days (which includes the grace period of 10 days)?

Euc- Nov 25th 2009 7:00 am

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 8123536)
I'll be doing this next year while I wait to sell my apartment. Does the 10-day grace period you mention only apply if you go to immigration to extend the visa or does it also apply to the visa runs? What I mean...do you do visa runs every 29 days (approx) or can you do it every 39 days (which includes the grace period of 10 days)?

I know of a few people doing it, the problem with this grace period is that it depends on the immigration officer and the mood he is in, if he stept out of bed with his right or left leg first that morning, if the moon is aligned with the correct amount of stars and in the right angle and if the water temperature at a depth of 100 meters in the pacific is below or over x degrees C.

Just stick with the 29 days and your good.

MacScot Nov 25th 2009 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Euc- (Post 8123555)
I know of a few people doing it, the problem with this grace period is that it depends on the immigration officer and the mood he is in, if he stept out of bed with his right or left leg first that morning, if the moon is aligned with the correct amount of stars and in the right angle and if the water temperature at a depth of 100 meters in the pacific is below or over x degrees C.

Just stick with the 29 days and your good.

Thanks..that makes good sense. :)

Patsy Stoned Nov 25th 2009 6:01 pm

The 10 day grace period is only for the 1st extension on your visa if you go to immigration and pay for it.
If you decide not to pay which is about 600dhs then you have to do a visa run and you will get a 500dhs a day fine for every day over.