British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Visa run to Oman today (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/visa-run-oman-today-583064/)

Rapido Jan 10th 2009 4:36 am

Visa run to Oman today

Morning all

Me, wifey, ma-in-law and two kids (4 and 1) are heading to Oman today to renew visas and want to explore a wee bit and maybe have a picnic at a nice place (pref. on the coast) while we're there.

Appreciate any ideas/advice on (reachable) places in Oman that are well worth a visit.

Thanks
R

Rapido Jan 11th 2009 8:28 am

Re: Visa run to Oman today

66 views and not a single reply? I'm just not feeling the love.

We had a nice day but wouldn't recommend the first coastal town (Shinas?)you come across in Oman to stop for a picnic (we decided that was as far as we could venture due to our delayed start to the journey).

Chocolate coloured sand, pepsi-coloured seawater and a wee bit grubby. Kids loved it.

Jim Smith Jan 11th 2009 8:32 am

Reading for the first time now!

Fortunately never had to do a visa run in 23 years so could not offer advice anyway!

Welcome back!

Jim

ddavies73 Jan 11th 2009 10:47 am

We just crossed the boarder south of Al Ain.

They stamped us into Oman and stamped us out at the same desk. The parkling lot even had a road to take you back to UAE!!! We didn't even need car ins as we never got "into" Oman. :D

The only thing that I know of Oman/Visas is that the rules just keep changing all the time. So, I guess it was not a love/hate thing, just that people would be scared to offer advice if it had changed. :eek:

Thanks for the advice for the coast, as someone had mentioned it to be a neat place to visit. :confused:

bimcnorth Jan 11th 2009 10:52 am

I thought the rules had changed to make visa runs impossible?...Apparently not eh?

ddavies73 Jan 11th 2009 11:19 am

So did we. We even went to the trouble of finding cheap flights out for the weekend.

However, we were told that we can still do it, and we did. Coming back into the UAE we only got 30 days, even though we asked for 60 :confused: Not sure how times you can do this, as we have been informed that it is only twice after intial. Then it is a month vacation :thumbup:

buddymom Jan 11th 2009 11:59 am

You can do border runs at Mezyad, in Al Ain/ Oman border cross.
I cant tell you how many stamps I have in my passport. Do not worry.
AND how do you know about Mrs. Ts pierogies ddavies?

ddavies73 Jan 11th 2009 12:18 pm

Steelers Country :D

Good to know we can do it many times. Although the day after we did the run I got an email asking for my passport for the work permit :mad:

buddymom Jan 11th 2009 12:29 pm

I am from the "right" side of the State.. Eagles country. LOL!
Do you know aikman ? , he is from Reading. He works with my dh.

Who was the email from? Your work or immigration, or??

ddavies73 Jan 11th 2009 1:21 pm

The email was from the company saying they have approval. Why not a day earlier :huh:

We don't take the Football or The Superbowl too seriously, but, where we lived we had to. Great excuse to eat tones of junk food. We were Steelers fans by abode. :ohmy:

buddymom Jan 11th 2009 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by ddavies73 (Post 7152189)
The email was from the company saying they have approval. Why not a day earlier :huh:

We don't take the Football or The Superbowl too seriously, but, where we lived we had to. Great excuse to eat tones of junk food. We were Steelers fans by abode. :ohmy:

Neither do I , as I am a girl, and the Eagles, ( and all Philly teams ,... suck)
Are you British?

Tarkers Jan 17th 2009 10:25 am

We just did the visa run to Oman yesterday (16th Jan), we got a 30 day stamp. I askd the guy if we could have a 60 day, but he said no the rules have changed, only 30 days now.

Anyone know how many times we can do this now? Is it multiple? My GF arrived 19 Nov, had 60 days, then just did the visa run this weekend - this means we've got to do it again in feb or does she have to leave and go back to the UK for a month? :confused:
TIA
Tarkers

Blue Cat Jan 17th 2009 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Tarkers (Post 7180178)
We just did the visa run to Oman yesterday (16th Jan), we got a 30 day stamp. I askd the guy if we could have a 60 day, but he said no the rules have changed, only 30 days now.

Anyone know how many times we can do this now? Is it multiple? My GF arrived 19 Nov, had 60 days, then just did the visa run this weekend - this means we've got to do it again in feb or does she have to leave and go back to the UK for a month? :confused:
TIA
Tarkers

I think they change the rules every day!

alexalexa Feb 27th 2009 12:27 pm

Does anyone know the new rules?

commander Feb 27th 2009 2:30 pm

They are changing tomorrow