visa run - Abu Dhabi to Oman

Old May 21st 2013, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

abudhabinewbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: visa run - Abu Dhabi to Oman

you can do that but why? i just drove through
Old May 21st 2013, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

You will cook! It is over 1km each way and no shade, but you may be able to hitch a lift.
Old May 21st 2013, 10:44 am
Just Joined

nebieinuae is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the response :-)

Would it not be illegal to drive in Oman territory, although a short distance, without insurance cover?

From the previous posts I gathered the Oman and UAE immigration posts were next to each other in Mezyad. Is that not the case?
Old May 21st 2013, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by nebieinuae
Thank you for the response :-)

Would it not be illegal to drive in Oman territory, although a short distance, without insurance cover?

From the previous posts I gathered the Oman and UAE immigration posts were next to each other in Mezyad. Is that not the case?
I think the problem you may have, if the border guards are on the ball, is taking your hire car out of the UAE without the permission of the rental company. You will need to produce the car registration card at the visa desk for you to get a permission slip to take the car out of the country, and this will flag up that it's a hire car.

There is a distance of over 1km between the UAE border and the Omani one at Mezyad/Hafeet. If you go out any of the other borders via Al Ain - eg Hili and the one past the Danat (Shikla Al something), you will have 40kms to drive to get to the Omani checkpoint at Wadi Al Jizzi.

Old May 21st 2013, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Thank you. This is very helpful.

I don't mind walking 1.26 KM each way and to prevent myself from getting cooked, I can go after sunset:-)

I hope the immigration guys don't mind someone exiting and entering their country on foot. People frequently do that between Canada and the US, especially tourists in Niagara Falls.
Old May 21st 2013, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

I don't mind walking 1.26 KM each way and to prevent myself from getting cooked, I can go after sunset:-)

I hope the immigration guys don't mind someone exiting and entering their country on foot. People frequently do that between Canada and the US, especially tourists in Niagara Falls.
My husband gave a lift to an elderly Omani who for some reason wasn't driving between the posts. Smile at some locals as you exit the UAE and they will probably give you a lift!
Old May 21st 2013, 12:04 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Or go to the RAK border point when it's a 10 second walk between the two points?
Old May 21st 2013, 12:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Kix
Or go to the RAK border point when it's a 10 second walk between the two points?
AD - RAK must be a good 2.5 / 3 hour, really boring drive. Each way.

I'd go to that one suggested and just blag the car across for 2.52km round trip.
Old May 21st 2013, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yes but this is not usa and canada....
Old May 21st 2013, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

As I am a visitor in UAE, I only have a rented car which I can't take to Oman because the insurance won't cover Oman. Can I park my car in the UAE side of the border at Mezyad and walk to the Oman and then UAE immigration and then drive back to Abu Dhabi?
you can you have to ask the rental agency for the insurance, as you have to have their permission.
Old May 21st 2013, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all. I agree this not US/Canada border.

I will check with the rental agency and see if they would provide me with the extra cover required. That would solve the issue, otherwise I would get ready for a walk between the check points after sunset, instead of my usual gym attendance.
Old May 22nd 2013, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

they usually dont charge a lot, a few dirhams, worth it compared to walking.
Old May 22nd 2013, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

I checked with Thrifty, the company I am hiring the car from, and they said it would be additional 250 Dhm for insurance.

It might be much easier to try and get the visa extended from the Immigration office in Abu Dhabi. I got it extended from there once for 30 days and it cost me 560 Dhm including Health insurance and typing centre fee. I am not sure though of I can get it extended for a second time which would be third month as a tourist.
Old May 23rd 2013, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I checked with Thrifty, the company I am hiring the car from, and they said it would be additional 250 Dhm for insurance.

It might be much easier to try and get the visa extended from the Immigration office in Abu Dhabi. I got it extended from there once for 30 days and it cost me 560 Dhm including Health insurance and typing centre fee. I am not sure though of I can get it extended for a second time which would be third month as a tourist.
u are only allowed to extend at immigration once.
Old May 25th 2013, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the information. It would have to be border run to Oman then :-(

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.