visa question

Old Sep 29th 2008, 2:30 pm
Roving Donny fan.

Location: Doncaster, UK. But not for long!!! Where's my visa!!!
glynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really nice
Default visa question

I have just received confirmation of my contract based in Dubai, but involving travel all over the middle east and when I asked how long the visa would take they answered they would sort it out when I arrive,this is surely not normal practice but could this be possible? Maybe due to travelling at short notice they have some sort of visa arrangement.I don't know so any help would be appreciated.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Lyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud of
Default Re: visa question

Originally Posted by glynster
I have just received confirmation of my contract based in Dubai, but involving travel all over the middle east and when I asked how long the visa would take they answered they would sort it out when I arrive,this is surely not normal practice but could this be possible? Maybe due to travelling at short notice they have some sort of visa arrangement.I don't know so any help would be appreciated.
hmmm... what *usually* happens is that they process an employment permit that you pick up at the airport when you arrive, then, onces you start work, they take you off for a medical and then convert your employment permit into an employment (and resident's visa), which can take about 1 month. The employment permit takes 3 or 4 weeks too, but can be done when you are still in the UK.

If you have dependents coming too, then they will only be granted a tourist/visitor's visa until you are resident and therefore in a position to sponsor them yourself.

I think it's actually illegal to come over to a permanent job and work on a tourist visa, although I'm not sure about the ins and outs of that.

I hope this helps!
Old Sep 30th 2008, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yep thats how its done, you cannot work on a tourist visa, in the past you came on one and they converted it to an employment visa, but the rules are different now that your visit visa is only valid for one month instead of upto 3 months! and yes you cannot do anything until your feet touch the soil. so you must come on an employment visa and not a tourist visa.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Lyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud of

saying that, my husband came over on secondment from his office to work for a couple of weeks twice earlier on this year and was only on the 30 day tourist visa.

I can only imagine that working if the company you were working for employed you in England (so you are actually based in GB) and then sent you all over the Middle East on individual, short-term projects.

Still, if the company you are to be working for is based here, then don't let HR convince you to come over and wing it for a bit... at the end of the day, any repercussions will fall on you, rather than the company!