Reload this Page >

Visa for family and partner Abu Dhabi

Visa for family and partner Abu Dhabi

Old Jan 19th 2017, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

kernowchris1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa for family and partner Abu Dhabi

Hello.

Can someone please help me understand that process that needs to happen next.

My wife has just received a job offer as a teacher that we are going to accept. From that I understand she will get an entry visa, she will then change it to a residency visa within 30 days. But what about myself (husband) and our 3 kids. Do we apply direct to the embassy for an entry visa? Her new employer is sorting hers out. Is there any costs involved?

Many thanks

Chris
Old Jan 20th 2017, 4:34 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa for family and partner Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by kernowchris1981
Hello.

Can someone please help me understand that process that needs to happen next.

My wife has just received a job offer as a teacher that we are going to accept. From that I understand she will get an entry visa, she will then change it to a residency visa within 30 days. But what about myself (husband) and our 3 kids. Do we apply direct to the embassy for an entry visa? Her new employer is sorting hers out. Is there any costs involved?

Many thanks

Chris
Hi and welcome to the forum. If you and the kids have UK passports, then you can each get a visitor's visa on entry to AD, valid for 30 days and can be extended in AD for a further 30 days, then you and the kids need to leave AD (visa run) to get a new visitor's visa on re-entry.

Once your wife gets her RP, then she can sponsor you and the kids and you then get your RPs: "A woman can sponsor her family only if she is married and subject to further restrictions. She must also hold a college degree and earn at least Dh10,000 per month." I'm sure your wife will meet these requirements.

It will be very expensive to live in AD, and a teacher's salary is not great. If you don't mind me asking, does your wife's package include family accommodation and schooling for the kids?
Old Jan 20th 2017, 5:20 am
Just Joined

Hi Jonny

Ah. Thank you very much for clarifying that! Does a trip into Dubai count as a visa run? Or do we have to leave the UAE?

Yes, wife's one package is just about doable. Includes accommodation allowance and a decent salary. 2 kids places are included. We have to pay for the 3rd. I am shocked at the cost but it looks affordable on wife's salary. I am an aircraft engineer so am currently applying for every job going! We can survive on her wage, but if we want to save money I need a job.

Medical and dental plus flights covered. 1 trip home per year.

Think it looks possible according to research we have done. Been looking to move for several years now.

Cheers
Old Jan 20th 2017, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

you do need a job Chris. It will be hard with three kids.

You need to leave the UAE.... but not necessary the car.

PS> Congratulations, it's a great place to live.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

I'm just going through a similar process and will be sponsoring the wife when we land. If you haven't already done so I'd consider processing the marriage and degree certificates for legalisation and attestation as soon as possible (in the UK). It's taken me a good 3 weeks to get these sorted and surprisingly the UAE Embassy were the easiest to deal with.

Whilst we'll be going to Dubai the process should be fairly similar; land on a work permit (wife on a tourist visa), company processes my RP, obtain ID etc and then we process the wife's RP following that. My company told me that we would need to start processing her visa within 18 days to be sure that we won't need to extend the wife's tourist visa.

I've heard from a few people that visa processing in AD can take a lot longer so just be prepared and remain patient. It'll all happen, perhaps just not overnight.

Good luck on the job hunt. It may be easier once you're actually there. I'd also look into whether you're allowed to work on your wife's visa or whether you need your own.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Your wife's school may also be able to assist with sorting the visa.

I do think it is a good idea to consider letting her go alone first, sorting everything that needs to be sorted, and then you / kids coming over a month or two later when everything such as housing, cars etc are settled. The settling-in process in the Middle East can be quite complicated and stressful, it is not like moving from one UK city to another UK city. My experience working with teachers is that having family there at first can add to the stress rather than detract from it, but each situation is different.

Once she is settled and knows the ropes of being there, your visas should not take long. My wife's took, if I remember, 48 hours.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Cheers for the excellent replies.

Really excited as this has been a dream for quite a long time now. Not necessarily just for the money, also the lifestyle and more time with the kids.

The idea of her going over before does sound like a good one. We may have to look at that.

2 free places is great but we are still looking at 15k + for a school for the eldest. Crazy!

I am doing as much networking as I can, see what happens but can see that I may need to be in country first. May even resort to taking my cv to the companies I have already applied to.

Sure I will be in touch more when things get moving.

Certificates are getting notarised as we speak. Would you send certificates to fco and embassy via royal mail? Special delivery or take them yourself?

Cheers
Old Jan 20th 2017, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Yep post to FCO by Special Delivery and pay for the courier back. Marriage Certificates have to be original so I wouldn't risk any other way. UAE Embassy also send via Special Delivery but put a self addressed envelope inside with a special delivery stamp on it. Post Office will know what to do. Also worth noting that the UAE won't take cash so it's either bank draft or postal order. I went Postal Order which costs a little more.

It may be worth looking for positions at Al Maktoum Airport also?
Old Jan 20th 2017, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Schooling is expensive and going up . . .

About the certificates, it depends, you may find that it goes quicker if you go in person, the relevant web sites will assist you with that.

As for getting a job. Hiring in the Middle East does not work like it does in Europe. Don't assume a merit process is occurring. My advice would be recruiters and networking. Turnover among Westerners is very, very high and successful Middle Eastern experience is worth its weight in gold there to recruiters and employers.

Other posters are correct that your wife's salary alone will be very difficult to live off of. However, in addition to that, it is not an easy place to be if you have little to do with your days, and it is important for that reason as well. Keep in mind that jobs you might look at in the UK in a pinch, like being a waiter, working in a supermarket etc, will be completely closed off to you in the Middle East.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CeeBee
Yep post to FCO by Special Delivery and pay for the courier back. Marriage Certificates have to be original so I wouldn't risk any other way. UAE Embassy also send via Special Delivery but put a self addressed envelope inside with a special delivery stamp on it. Post Office will know what to do. Also worth noting that the UAE won't take cash so it's either bank draft or postal order. I went Postal Order which costs a little more.

It may be worth looking for positions at Al Maktoum Airport also?
I would just add with the certificates that the FCO were unable to verify our marriage certificate as they didn't have the Registrar's signature on the system and so had to contact them and await confirmation from them to verify the signature. If this happens to you it'll be a wasted journey to Milton Keynes.

The postal system works. Taking days off work to ferry around documents seems pointless to me. The UAE received my documents on Monday lunch time and they were back with me on Tuesday.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your help.