Visa cancelation

Old Aug 1st 2010, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

kevinm3104 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa cancelation

I was wondering if anyone could help. I've been working out here for 6 months, I was in month 5 of my probabtion with my company and I decided that I'd had enough. The wages were poor and I wasnt making enough money to live on and I was a lot worse of than I was back in the UK, i told my employer at the time that I was unhappy and wanted to leave and work elsewhere. Long story short my previous employer said he wont cancel my visa until I have paid back the 9000aed for my visa, he deducted 5000 from my salary leaving me broke and wont cancel my visa until I have paid off the remaining 4000. He also has my passport. This surely isnt legal? What can I do and who can I speak too?
Old Aug 1st 2010, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

thecentennial is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Visa cancelation

Originally Posted by kevinm3104
I was wondering if anyone could help. I've been working out here for 6 months, I was in month 5 of my probabtion with my company and I decided that I'd had enough. The wages were poor and I wasnt making enough money to live on and I was a lot worse of than I was back in the UK, i told my employer at the time that I was unhappy and wanted to leave and work elsewhere. Long story short my previous employer said he wont cancel my visa until I have paid back the 9000aed for my visa, he deducted 5000 from my salary leaving me broke and wont cancel my visa until I have paid off the remaining 4000. He also has my passport. This surely isnt legal? What can I do and who can I speak too?
Not sure it's "legal" to do this, the probationary period is for both parties. Does it state in your contract that the visa would have to be repaid if you leave in your probationary period?

Last edited by thecentennial; Aug 1st 2010 at 12:56 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 1st 2010, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by thecentennial
Not sure it's "legal" to do this, the probationary period is for both parties. Does it state in your contract that the visa would have to be repaid if you leave in your probationary period?
The employment agreement says the visa has to be paid if I left within the first year it doesnt mention the probabtion period. The visa is from Abu Dhabi. If I have to pay it then I'll pay it, its just the fact that he's taken all my cash and left me broke and wants the rest of it even though he knows I cant start a new job until the visa is cancelled.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Pop down to your local Labour Office and have a word with them.
You could also open a file and lodge a complaint .
Old Aug 1st 2010, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinm3104
The employment agreement says the visa has to be paid if I left within the first year it doesnt mention the probabtion period. The visa is from Abu Dhabi. If I have to pay it then I'll pay it, its just the fact that he's taken all my cash and left me broke and wants the rest of it even though he knows I cant start a new job until the visa is cancelled.
Isn't the probation period in the first year though?

I was under the impression that they cannot, by law, charge you for the visa - although I guess you can probably contract out of law here!

I feel sorry for you - it's a shitty situation. Assuming the labour office is fruitless, can you not get the new employer to bankroll it or try and influence the guy?? Otherwise it's borrowing off a mate...
Old Aug 1st 2010, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Legal or not, ask for a breakdown of the costs. How did he come to 9000dhs? A visa is nowhere near that expensive.

Unless these are your total recruitment costs, you are American and recruited by an agency, only then it could make sence.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Euc-
Legal or not, ask for a breakdown of the costs. How did he come to 9000dhs? A visa is nowhere near that expensive.

Unless these are your total recruitment costs, you are American and recruited by an agency, only then it could make sence.
I've asked him for a breakdown of the costs, I've been waiting 2 weeks now. I work as a fitness trainer and I'm from the UK, a few people have said 9000 is too much, the guy is a con-man! I only took the job with him because he said he was the biggest company in the UAE and I would have lots of work
Old Aug 1st 2010, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Kev I have Pm'd you xx
Old Aug 1st 2010, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Passports are the property of the government which issued the passport. May be an idea to contact your embassy?