Villa advice

Old Feb 13th 2014, 11:05 am
Just Joined

ZAM1212 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Villa advice

Hello

My family will be moving to Dubai in September and, we are in the process of researching villas to rent. so far we like to look of the Lakes and The Meadows however I understand that certain properties are better than others due tot he age of the villas.

Our budget is in the region of 250K and would prefer to be in a area where there are other kids so our daughter can get to know other kids.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old Feb 16th 2014, 8:39 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Villa advice

Go into The Sandpit and look at the top for the stickie Renting in Dubai FAQ's. It'll help you not get ripped off by some of the so called 'agents' out here, especially in terms of Rental Contracts when you first arrive. Read the small print and don't accept any nonsense about Tenant being responsible for maintenance blah blah blah.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 8:57 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pauldxb
tenants are in fact responsible for minor repairs below AED 500
No they are not under the law of Dubai the LL is responsible for all maintenance:
Article 16 of law number 26 of 2007
Landlord shall, during validity of the tenancy contract, be liable for undertaking maintenance of the property and shall rectify any defects or faults that affect tenant’s intended benefit from the property, unless the two parties agree otherwise.

I know that certain agents dupe tenants into signing tenancy contracts making them responsible for repairs under 200, 300 etc. amounts but these can very quickly add up due to the poor build standards here. If you know the law then you can quickly spot the rogue agents and there are a LOT of them out here.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

tenants are in fact responsible for minor repairs below AED 500
I hope you are joking.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

pauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to all

I should have been a lot clearer with my terminology. Most landlords want the tenants to take care of all minor repairs below X price. If properties are well maintained by a good FM company and the landlord has an annual contract in place then minor repairs should not exceed AED 1000 per annum
Old Feb 16th 2014, 9:40 am
Account Closed

Most landlords want the tenants to take care of all minor repairs below X price.
I'm sure they do but that is not the law, they are responsible.
If properties are well maintained by a good FM company and the landlord has an annual contract in place then minor repairs should not exceed AED 1000 per annum
Here you're assuming that a contract is in place, that the maintenance company are doing a good job and that they're proactive in actually doing maintenance instead of coming out when something breaks. This is not the experience of most of the people who ask me for Renting Advice.