British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Very Excited!! (Radio question) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/very-excited-radio-question-570244/)

Charlie Says... Oct 30th 2008 4:55 pm

Very Excited!! (Radio question)

Hello!!!!!

I am a very excited newbie (female / 25 / north west england / engaged / plus great dane) - extreemly impressed with this forum - some really helpfull people answering all kinds of questions!

I am planning a move to dubai/abu dhabi next year and have found so much information on here that is hugely useful! Just a few points i couldnt find with the search option i was hoping someone could help me with... heres the first...

I am a creative type (copy writing, design, publication, marketing, advertising, that type of thing...) I have been working in the radio sector for the past 3 years (same station) and a recritment agent i was talking to said its a great industry in dubai at the moment - lots of growth and new stations opening up.

So - im gonna take your good advice and approch the stations one-to-one to try and get a great position - i was just wondering if anyone has any pointers of good radio station in the area, or where to start reserching?

Really looking forwrad to getting stuck in with the move plans!

Many thanks in advance

Very Excited Charlie xx :thumbsup:

Charlie Says... Oct 30th 2008 5:00 pm

Re: Very Excited!! (Radio question)

Originally Posted by Charlie Says... (Post 6925606)
Hello!!!!!

I am a very excited newbie (female / 25 / north west england / engaged / plus great dane) - extreemly impressed with this forum - some really helpfull people answering all kinds of questions!

I am planning a move to dubai/abu dhabi next year and have found so much information on here that is hugely useful! Just a few points i couldnt find with the search option i was hoping someone could help me with... heres the first...

I am a creative type (copy writing, design, publication, marketing, advertising, that type of thing...) I have been working in the radio sector for the past 3 years (same station) and a recritment agent i was talking to said its a great industry in dubai at the moment - lots of growth and new stations opening up.

So - im gonna take your good advice and approch the stations one-to-one to try and get a great position - i was just wondering if anyone has any pointers of good radio station in the area, or where to start reserching?

Many thanks in advance

Obviously when i copywrite i speel check bettter! ;-)

Confucius Oct 30th 2008 5:32 pm

Hello!!!!!

Many thanks in advance

What are you wearing???

Lyds Oct 30th 2008 5:39 pm

well, the radio stations could certainly do with some help!

Good luck!

The Dean Oct 30th 2008 6:28 pm

Hello!!!!!

Many thanks in advance

Could you post some pictures of your great dane please........?? :o

Autonomy Oct 30th 2008 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Charlie Says... (Post 6925624)
Obviously when i copywrite i speel check bettter! ;-)

Glad to see the rest let the side down...:eek:

Radio is a nightmare currently - so therefore has room to grow... and improve.

Main stations in Dubai:-

Dubai 92 (UK equivalent Capitol / Virgin / XFM) (AMG owned)
Channel 4 (UK = Capitol / Choice / Kiss)
Virgin (not like Virgin in UK more like Kiss / Choice)
Radio 1 (kinda Capitol I guess)
Coast FM (new station) (more MOR / hits I think (not listened!))

After that there is

Radio 2 (like Radio 2/3/4 without the grand daughter / satanic sl*t sh**ging)
Dubai Eye - Like talk radio for the deaf (exept Zahra's great Open Mike which is The Old Grey Whistle Test In A Sand Storm...)

Probably missed some....

With your various skills, don't limit to radio, film and production is growing very fast as well...

Welcome to the media in ME.... (it's a bit different to Blighty - good luck!)

PS - If you get into radio - please ask for the decent 92 shows to be reprieved, Sticky Fingers was the best show in the UAE.... thanks.

diablo Oct 31st 2008 5:22 am

... well seems that all has been listed above; I knew only two and I thought to tell you to look Virgin Radio web site http://www.virginradiodubai.com/Pages/Default.aspx and get the contact details. I am sure that if you call those guys and ask them to have a chat after work they would be able to give you some details which I really don't know.

I also know a guy who works in one of the other station ... he had like his talk show or something ... so I thought to ask him for phone number so you call him and ask any questions you have; if that would help?

Other than that there is a Media City as mentioned above and you may find quite a range of different employment opportunities I would think.

Not sure if it helps :o

Charlie Says... Oct 31st 2008 1:08 pm

Smashing that’s really helpful!

Thank you very much! Especially Diablo and Autonomy. I’m gonna put together a website of my portfolio and stuff - then start to get in contact with some stations and other media. We are planning to come over for a reki/interview week in March or there abouts.

The Dean - I would post some pictures of the big O if i knew how, do you like great Danes? Actually i was gonna ask if there are many Dane owners about in Dubai...

And Confucious - its bl**dy freezing here in the north - so i am wearing many many clothes!

Thanks so much xxx

MataHari Oct 31st 2008 1:36 pm

Virgin Radio is the worst station...arrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

and yeah...Sticky fingers...great...but thankfully we have Schooly on Radio 1, the vintage playback on Saturday afternoon....