VAT

Old Jan 7th 2018, 5:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: VAT

Car wash up 16.6% because of VAT. Told him I’d give him the old price plus 5% unless he admitted they were just taking advantage. The slimy grin was enough to earn the extra.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 4:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Not sure I understand what being in a Muslim country has to do with the price of booze....except that they are clearly profiting from things they are not supposed to be doing - adding 'sin' tax. Given we have income tax, VAT and NI in the UK you would think most things would be cheaper in the UAE....they certainly used to be until about 7-8 years ago...long before the pound corrected.

You can try on stuff here then order it online

N.
You're joking right? Is that sarcasm? You're not sure what a Muslim country would have to do with the price of something like booze? What about pork?

Let's say a retailer charge for delivery and Shop and Shop charges, or more expensive direct delivery I'm assuming you order your clothes in bulk? What do you save? What's the actual difference? Is it only because of the pound slipping to sub 5?
Old Jan 16th 2018, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

captainjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scamp
Comparing pint prices isn't fair though is it, we're in a Muslim country for starters. May as well compare bacon prices or cocaine.

What do you save on clothes?
I'm always surprised at things like this, seems to be more popular since the pound tanked? Is that the saving?
Might be missing a trick here but also like to try things on first.

I imagine there are many businesses out here who could absorb 5% without even blinking.
Moozlem country? lol - Its a money first, Arabs second country. Born n bred moozlem over here and the UAE's main religion maybe Islam but they aint Moozlems in practice the way the good book commands us to be. First off no pictures of yourself - last time I checked its compulsory to have pictures of all the leaders in every business. They so far removed from the faith a blind man on Mars could see that - dont ask me why there's a blind man on Mars btw!
Old Jan 16th 2018, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

captainjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Spinneys has become ridiculous. They do have good meat but everything else is overpriced.

It has become cheaper to order most things in now - makes zero sense.

N.
Always thought Spinneys was ridiculous in their pricing before the VAT increase!
Old Feb 15th 2018, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

kostik3000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is this guy government AI bot?
Old Feb 16th 2018, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

Gobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Not totally related but in Saudi they not only introduced the VAT, but also raised the price of 91 by 80%, and doubled the price of 95. Be interesting to see what happens to the prices of taxis, Uber, Careem etc
Apparently a law was passed, forbidding any business to put up prices more than 5% for 2018 (or the Saudi equivalent). I guess Uber and Careem will have to eat the extra expense, although they can just impliment surge pricing more often and who's going to be able to argue?
Old Apr 5th 2018, 10:03 am
Just Joined

vatuae is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: VAT in UAE

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Ah, Mission works for your company?
Now mostly company is given the information about the VAT. The UAE has been recently introduced the VAT with the stander rate 5%.
vat is an indirect tax that is allowed by the country. its other income source to the country. there are some rules under the VAT like VAT Registration, VAT News, and VAT Return.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

You're joking right? Is that sarcasm? You're not sure what a Muslim country would have to do with the price of something like booze? What about pork?

Let's say a retailer charge for delivery and Shop and Shop charges, or more expensive direct delivery I'm assuming you order your clothes in bulk? What do you save? What's the actual difference? Is it only because of the pound slipping to sub 5?
I buy most of my work clothes online from the UK
The sales and quality are much better than here. Case in point a pair of trousers from River Island AED350 here. AED75 in the sale at home plus the shipping cost me AED50. AED225 saved ( i bought more stuff and i think my savings were 150 quid English)
Old Apr 8th 2018, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainjack
Always thought Spinneys was ridiculous in their pricing before the VAT increase!
Complete rip off, the same for Choitrams. same brand in C4 can cost 30-40% less
Old Apr 8th 2018, 11:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by reddiva
I buy most of my work clothes online from the UK
The sales and quality are much better than here. Case in point a pair of trousers from River Island AED350 here. AED75 in the sale at home plus the shipping cost me AED50. AED225 saved ( i bought more stuff and i think my savings were 150 quid English)
So that's just price, not quality then?

You're lucky you can know a size and not have to faff with trying on or sending back.
(That being said I can do that with work shirts, which all come from the UK twice a year as presents).
Old Apr 8th 2018, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

So that's just price, not quality then?

You're lucky you can know a size and not have to faff with trying on or sending back.
(That being said I can do that with work shirts, which all come from the UK twice a year as presents).
I have more choice online. Most of the shops i shop at only have a handful of sizes here and my size tends to be the first to sell out. Staff here ( unlike the UK) will not ring around their stores to see if they have the sizes elsewhere and i cannot be bothered driving around the malls. As you said half the battle is knowing your size but if something doesnt fit friends will tend to pay for it and take it off your hands