VAT

Old Jan 4th 2018, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VAT

Originally Posted by kostik3000
Biggest mess in our line of business, I've ever seen. It's like whole system was designed by 10 years old. I am in Maritime business and most of the things supplied to ships should be zero rated. Our incompetent finance manager doesn't help situation either.
Ah, Mission works for your company?
Old Jan 4th 2018, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Ah, Mission works for your company?
p i s s off
Old Jan 7th 2018, 4:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I paid five quid for a pint in a Mayfair pub in November when I was back home - and much less outside the capital. In Dubai I pay 7 quid or more for a pint off happy hour.

Given the UK has a lot more tax it's clear the UAE's sponsorship system plus tourism tax and good old fashioned greed has already priced them higher for many goods and services than developed markets. I've already all but stopped buying clothes in the UAE because I can buy them overseas for less, and in some cases get them shipped to my door in Dubai and still save money.

It will be interesting to see how the UAE remains competitive as VAT gets underway and no doubt increases in the future. Some businesses are already bound over a barrel with sponsorship costs, rents and business tax so won't be able to absorb 5% easily - and some will find it very easy as their margins are astronomical.

N.
Comparing pint prices isn't fair though is it, we're in a Muslim country for starters. May as well compare bacon prices or cocaine.

What do you save on clothes?
I'm always surprised at things like this, seems to be more popular since the pound tanked? Is that the saving?
Might be missing a trick here but also like to try things on first.

I imagine there are many businesses out here who could absorb 5% without even blinking.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Spinnys has gone mental apparently.

Small tub of atlantic prawns were a shocking but just about swallowable 35 AED last month. Now 50 AED. Thats 10 quid FFS.

Many things seem to have gone up.

Been saying this for a while but its getting to the point that its cheaper to order in than make your own.

Although saying that I'm still battering through the 30 odd king fish steaks I got from the last fishing trip.....
Old Jan 7th 2018, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I paid five quid for a pint in a Mayfair pub in November when I was back home - and much less outside the capital. In Dubai I pay 7 quid or more for a pint off happy hour.

Given the UK has a lot more tax it's clear the UAE's sponsorship system plus tourism tax and good old fashioned greed has already priced them higher for many goods and services than developed markets. I've already all but stopped buying clothes in the UAE because I can buy them overseas for less, and in some cases get them shipped to my door in Dubai and still save money.

It will be interesting to see how the UAE remains competitive as VAT gets underway and no doubt increases in the future. Some businesses are already bound over a barrel with sponsorship costs, rents and business tax so won't be able to absorb 5% easily - and some will find it very easy as their margins are astronomical.

N.
When I first came to the UAE in 2008 plenty of people were already avoiding buying clothes or non essentials within the country, waiting for their periodic trips to the UK. So it's nothing new. I rarely ever bought clothes or electronics in the UAE.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

The prices here for everyday items are super inflated compared to the UK but also the quality of choice is pretty p*ss poor too. I went into Boots for some hair product and they only had a tub of hair gel which looked like the type of thing I would use back in year 7

For a sunny country, the selection of suncreams are dire
Old Jan 7th 2018, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Made in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ExpatAl
The prices here for everyday items are super inflated compared to the UK but also the quality of choice is pretty p*ss poor too. I went into Boots for some hair product and they only had a tub of hair gel which looked like the type of thing I would use back in year 7

For a sunny country, the selection of suncreams are dire
Yeah. For toiletries, the choice and prices here are awful.

When we went back to the UK last October we did some shopping in Bodycare. Decent brands of sun lotions were £2.00. Bottle of Boots own brand over here are over £10.
Don't get me started on the cost of food.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 7:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

the selection of suncreams are dire
And brutally expensive.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 10:17 am
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
They've stopped delivering to my office anyway so screw em..... that's despite them having a branch just the other side of SZR pretty much directly opposite my office. Dicks!
So a half hour drive then
Old Jan 7th 2018, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Kakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting read in one of the online tabloids confirming what I've already noticed, that a lack of 10 and 5 fils coins in circulation means that prices are getting rounded up to the nearest 25, 50 or 75 fils, small change for sure, but still more than 5%
Old Jan 7th 2018, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Kakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of light

The prices here for everyday items are super inflated compared to the UK but also the quality of choice is pretty p*ss poor too.
Why no Muller Rice!!?? it's the little things that break me some days
Old Jan 7th 2018, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fossildog
So a half hour drive then
Not sure how you work that out. They're not going to Jebel Ali. It'd be 5 mins max on a delivery bike round defense R/A.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kakawax
Loved a muller rice (surprised that so many of my friends hate it...)

Or a nice Gu pud included as part of the 'Dine in for 10 quid' - wow that was a good deal in hindsight
Old Jan 7th 2018, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Made in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kakawax
Not sure if it's the rice or yoghurt but they sell Muller in the pork section in Park n Shop (DIP).
It's kept next to the ham and chorizo (obviously).
Old Jan 7th 2018, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Made in Sheffield 1
Not sure if it's the rice or yoghurt but they sell Muller in the pork section in Park n Shop (DIP).
It's kept next to the ham and chorizo (obviously).
most likely the pork gelatin thicker, these things hardly contain what picture on the front implies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.