Reload this Page >

Various Questions on Bahrain

Various Questions on Bahrain

Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

drummist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Various Questions on Bahrain

First post so please be gentle!

Been offered a management position (not in construction) living in Bahrain but based in Dammam. Anyone have any idea of the length of commute over the causeway?

Tax free salary matches my current UK salary before tax & NI, accommodation allowance around BHD1,000 (possibly slightly more), car allowance and free health cover. How easy is it to register with a doctor (I am type 2 diabetic and need regular prescriptions)?

The package sounds pretty good to me, but do you think it represents a good deal, worth moving out there for?

Seen all sorts of opinions about banks, but any recommendations and how easy is it to transfer money back to the UK?

Which are the best areas in Bahrain to look at for accomodation (3/4 bed villa, we have a grown up family who will visit), and which should we avoid? How much is payable up front? Have seen other posts that suggest it may be for a full 12 months.

I'm told electricity is expensive when taking air conditioning into account, but what does expensive actually mean? Do UK purchased electrical items such as digital televisions receive signals in the Gulf?

Any answers or words of advice on things we may not have thought of would be very much appreciated.

Thanks all.

Drummist
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Various Questions on Bahrain

Bringing it back to the top.

Come on guys, someone must be able to share something!!
Old Dec 9th 2008, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

commute across the causeway is an issue unless they can organise a vip pass for you but these are hard to get;

accom allowance needs to be min 1,400;

diabetic- the island is full of them- think I'm heading that way too;

HSBC- has its own issues but each bank does- tfr's are easy peasy;

12 months not required in Bahrain- mostly monthly/ max. 3 mo. in advance;

Elec is not expensive- running aircon 24/7 during hot months will add up but won't break the bank.

was going to take the pi** about being gentle, but then noticed the gender.
Gentle it is then

[edit] ps. there's a place coming available in an excellent location for you end March/ April.... you would be a fool not to have a look at it- very sought after by people working over your way- excellent management - around 1,200-1,300 exclusive- i.e.- you pay phone/ elec/ water/ etc

Originally Posted by drummist
First post so please be gentle!

Been offered a management position (not in construction) living in Bahrain but based in Dammam. Anyone have any idea of the length of commute over the causeway?

Tax free salary matches my current UK salary before tax & NI, accommodation allowance around BHD1,000 (possibly slightly more), car allowance and free health cover. How easy is it to register with a doctor (I am type 2 diabetic and need regular prescriptions)?

The package sounds pretty good to me, but do you think it represents a good deal, worth moving out there for?

Seen all sorts of opinions about banks, but any recommendations and how easy is it to transfer money back to the UK?

Which are the best areas in Bahrain to look at for accomodation (3/4 bed villa, we have a grown up family who will visit), and which should we avoid? How much is payable up front? Have seen other posts that suggest it may be for a full 12 months.

I'm told electricity is expensive when taking air conditioning into account, but what does expensive actually mean? Do UK purchased electrical items such as digital televisions receive signals in the Gulf?

Any answers or words of advice on things we may not have thought of would be very much appreciated.

Thanks all.

Drummist

Last edited by shiftdelete; Dec 9th 2008 at 5:50 am. Reason: ps....
Old Dec 9th 2008, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

also- in some areas not sure if you're going to be able to bang your drums too loudly...

Thanks all.

Drummist
Old Dec 9th 2008, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the heads up Shifty!

Mr Drummist here. I changed the details when I saw she had nicked my name.

Very interested in the property tip you gave us. Could you PM me with some more details please?

Thanks a lot.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

ok- will pm you.

Thanks for the heads up Shifty!

Mr Drummist here. I changed the details when I saw she had nicked my name.

Very interested in the property tip you gave us. Could you PM me with some more details please?

Thanks a lot.