British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Utilities (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/utilities-715358/)

NorthernBelle31 May 2nd 2011 2:59 pm

Utilities

If utilities (water and power) are not included in an accommodation package, how much can I expect to pay for these in Dubai for a one bedroomed apartment?!

I am aware that internet and cable tv would also be an additional expense.

Thanks in advance for your help and comments :)

Blue Cat May 2nd 2011 3:21 pm

Re: Utilities

we had a two bed, our water was about 300 dhs a month, not sure about the TV packages though, might be worth checking with www.du.ae or www.showtimearabia.com

NorthernBelle31 May 2nd 2011 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9338457)
we had a two bed, our water was about 300 dhs a month, not sure about the TV packages though, might be worth checking with www.du.ae or www.showtimearabia.com

Thanks Blue Cat.......

it looks like I may be heading to Dubai after all, as opposed to Abu Dhabi. I've been offered a position at a GEMS school that I like the look of - and the package is better :)

Blue Cat May 2nd 2011 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernBelle31 (Post 9338462)
Thanks Blue Cat.......

it looks like I may be heading to Dubai after all, as opposed to Abu Dhabi. I've been offered a position at a GEMS school that I like the look of - and the package is better :)

just saw that on the other thread, we used to live in GEMS accomodation, they have a few blocks around town and they aren't bad at all. I thought that your electricity and water was included in the apartment? Do a search on Green View Residence at TECOM that is where alot of the teachers from Wellington School are.

NorthernBelle31 May 2nd 2011 3:34 pm

lol! :-) I just saw your reply! I should probably have kept it all to one thread really!

Utilities aren't mentioned in the initial job offer they've sent me - although I've been told that once I accept in principle, they'll send me a more detailed contract. I just wanted to get a rough idea of how much it would be if utilities weren't included.

I have to say, I am inclined to accept the Dubai position! :)

Thanks for the info re: accommodation, I'll take a look!

Blue Cat May 2nd 2011 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernBelle31 (Post 9338481)
lol! :-) I just saw your reply! I should probably have kept it all to one thread really!

Utilities aren't mentioned in the initial job offer they've sent me - although I've been told that once I accept in principle, they'll send me a more detailed contract. I just wanted to get a rough idea of how much it would be if utilities weren't included.

I have to say, I am inclined to accept the Dubai position! :)

Thanks for the info re: accommodation, I'll take a look!

try and find out which accomodation they are offering you and get back to me :)

commander May 2nd 2011 5:34 pm

before you accept anything, make sure you have all the small print checked out...cross the t's and dot the i's as they say.

If you think it should include utilities, make sure you specify that and get it in writing. Been far to many sob stories....

Hello.Kitty May 2nd 2011 6:15 pm

On our 2 bed, we're paying about 80aed in actual utilities a month and then about 450aed in "Housing Tax" which is based on your rent. We've got telly/ internet and landline for about 200-290aed a month.

NorthernBelle31 May 2nd 2011 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 9338840)
On our 2 bed, we're paying about 80aed in actual utilities a month and then about 450aed in "Housing Tax" which is based on your rent. We've got telly/ internet and landline for about 200-290aed a month.

Thanks for that! :)

commander May 3rd 2011 1:48 am

Your welcome

Hello.Kitty May 3rd 2011 4:45 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9339538)
Your welcome

grammar! :ohmy:

kittycat1 May 5th 2011 7:48 am

I have a one bed apartment and pay between 70 and 200 aed a month however that does not include the building tax thing. Also my air con is paid by the landlord.

I'm out at least 12 hours a day and asleep for 6-8 hours so hardly use any at all, and I am one for unplugging things at the wall so never leave anything on standby, although I do have a deep bath every day so use quite a bit of water. Anyway, it ain't bad :D

kittycat1 May 5th 2011 7:49 am

telly internet and phone I pay 530 aed a month- HK what package do you have as sounds like im being shafted!

lionheart May 5th 2011 10:52 am

I know people who have monthly DEWA bills in excess of Dhs1,000 especially in the summer months, so be careful. It's the air-con which can hurt you.

Blue Cat May 5th 2011 10:58 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9344713)
I know people who have monthly DEWA bills in excess of Dhs1,000 especially in the summer months, so be careful. It's the air-con which can hurt you.

not people living in one bedroomed apartments :rolleyes: