Utilities?

Old Feb 10th 2007, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

julieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nice
Default Utilities?

Moving to Dubai with hubby in august, I am working as a teacher, I get a 1 bed apartment, medical, dental flights. Salary 9500 AED a month just have to pay utilities. Employers said should be about 280AED max. Is this realistic? Hubby looking for work once out there would like to think we could save most of his salary. Again is that realistic? We dont, smoke or drink but we do like exercise (so gym membership necessary), eating out weekly, internet, love footie so will need satellite tv. We do have some savings which we will use for vehicles and emergencies.
Any advice gratefully welcome.
Julie
Old Feb 10th 2007, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Utilities?

I think it appears to be about right - Aed 300 per month. Make sure that the chiller charges (for the AC) are to the account of the landlord (as is the case in most new buildings).

Any idea which area you would be staying in? The commute could be a nightmare otherwise - so better get this clarified upfront.

Send me a PM if you need any help

PS: You could save all of your hubby's salary and a part of your own too! Don't worry, you should be fine.

Last edited by IndieG; Feb 10th 2007 at 5:24 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 12:38 pm
W10

It's not right at all.

DEWA bill plus 5% of the rental value will probably come to a lot more than Dh280 a month, and if you have to pay AC, the a hell of a lot more.

Phone bill (you have to have a landline to get internet) isn't much if you don't use it. Internet (a mediocre connection is DH185 a month). TV is a total rip-off.

Old Feb 11th 2007, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

I was talking about water and leccy only- and Aed 300 is certainly about right. Maybe lower. I pay slightly above this for a much larger apartment (but like I mentioned, the chiller charges are to the account of the landlord)

If the apartment is rented by the employer as opposed to JA, then the employer foots the rent tax?
Old Feb 11th 2007, 12:45 pm
W10

Nope - the 5% on all new accounts are charged to the person taking up the account. ie the tenant.

If the landlord chooses to pay it him/herself then that is another matter.

But even if her rent is valued at Dh60,000 per year then her 5% will be Dh300 a month. It doubles your DEWA bill usually.

I currently pay Dh500 plus per month on my rental tax.

Old Feb 11th 2007, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

julieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nice

Wow a bit concerning, my new employer did say my max bill would be 280 AED, hope that includes everything. Think I need to contact the school and ask. Thanks everyone.
Julie
Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:24 am
Trust Your Instincts.....

sassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to behold

I know a lot of teachers here and I think that work for the same company as you so you will probably be living where they live and they say there bills are no more than 300dhs a month. so dont worry
Old Feb 12th 2007, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Hi Sassy which school? If you diont wish to say you could send me a PM, thanks you think most posts are managing to reassure me. Thanks Julie
Originally Posted by sassy
I know a lot of teachers here and I think that work for the same company as you so you will probably be living where they live and they say there bills are no more than 300dhs a month. so dont worry